Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 1st, 2022 14:00

Wyse USB image Tool not recognizing USB drive

Hey there - using Dell Wyse USB image tool 3.5.0, Merlin 4.1. None of the USB drives seem to interact with the software. I've got it to list it in the "USB Drives" section. But cannot select it from a drop down as it thinks there are 0 available devices. USB device is recognized by windows and I am able to browse files etc. 

Installed on enterprise win10. Tried changing the drive Letter, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS formats. 

Not sure what I should try now. image.pngimage.png

1 Message

March 2nd, 2023 07:00

ZERO replies, AWESOME work Dell ...

March 4th, 2023 02:00

Yes this tool is a nightmare and zero support from Dell so far.

I need to pull an image, tried 4 different pc's, including a wyse 5070. Tried multiple different USB brands and sizes. the wyse device doesn't see the USB drive that is online and working. 2 windows pc's start up with "failed to read usb drive information" with or without even a USB drive present. and the one that does detect and start, fails each time on formatting the USB drive. So never ever will I use dell thinclients anymore, but with 50 devices already in the field, it's a hard sell to my client they will need to stop using Dell and switch to HP now

2 Posts

April 26th, 2023 18:00

Finally "fixed", after days with this same situation. I used older versions of the USB image tool, it worked for me on version 2.1.2.

April 27th, 2023 07:00

You had to go back that far to get it to work?
Where did you find that version?  All I can find is 3.5 & 3.4.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2023 09:00

https://downloads.dell.com/wyse/USBFT/

I started from the oldest, 2.0.9, 2.1.0, didn't give me errors but didn't work, 2.1.1 error on formatting usb.

Salinha_0-1682613799642.png

June 1st, 2023 12:00

This is a useful solution for older clients but if you want to image the Optiplex 3000 thin client, for example, you need 3.5.0 to work.  Please address this, DELL.

1 Message

July 20th, 2023 11:00

I had a very hard time until I ran the tool as an admin.  Hope that helps.

1 Message

December 14th, 2023 15:16

A few months later: the problem is still not resolved.

I cannot fallback to older versions since it does not recognize my WYSE 5070, nor can I use the last version since it just doesn't work (be it with or without admin permissions).

My company paid for that, but this won't happen again.

(edited)

December 17th, 2023 10:55

This tool is an absolute nightmare, years ago it worked okay-ish. This week again facing the same issues as above. Some small driver thing somewhere probably. Easy fix for Dell dev team, however Dell does not seem to care. Reading this thread today makes me make the decission, my largest client's DELL devices are a couple of years old now, will tell them Dell is not going to work anymore onwards. Will order the first batch of HP t550's tomorrow morning. The time we have spent over the years fighting this imaging tool is insane. I mean hardware is great, and once it runs, it works really nice in the field. But every time we need an update/modified image, we must use this horrible tool. 1 device creates broken partitions, the other doesn't recognize the USB drive, etc..

(edited)

1 Message

January 19th, 2024 11:53

Still not working even running as an admin, oh and the handy link for previous version - https://downloads.dell.com/wyse/USBFT/ is no longer accessable.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2024 13:39

@dallinga​ been trying to get around this issue myself today and finally found a solution. running as admin indeed didnt work. but holding shift and running as different user (an admin account) did work. 

No idea why but it helped. 

(edited)

January 23rd, 2024 10:23

@Salinha​ could you please share 2.1.2 version? https://downloads.dell.com/wyse/USBFT/ doesn't work unfortunately...

January 24th, 2024 11:54

Btw the problem has been solved. It didn't work on Windows 11 (I tried 3.5.0, 3.3.0, 3.1.0 versions). On Windows 10 it works correctly (I use 3.3.0 version), don't forget run app via administrator (I guess it helps sometimes).

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

March 5th, 2024 21:02

@dallinga​ Luckily archive.org has all versions available here. I can now confirm that  version 2.1.4 worked with my Wyse 3030 N03D client and managed to install Windows Embedded 7 smoothly.

Pro Tip: Start the USB tool without the pendrive connected. Afterwards, connect the pen drive and refresh the drives list, otherwise the programs stays in a "Scanning USB devices... " state forever.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 27th, 2024 17:30

when i switched to an old 2.0 usb drive it worked (instead of 3.0)

usb imaging tool 2.1.2

(edited)

No Events found!