Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 04:00

Keyboard problems and observations (Evo Shift)

Keyboard problems and observations (Evo Shift)

First off, I have to say that PocketCloud is absolutely brilliant. The touchpointer is a bit of genius . . . Being able to control other computers remotely is exactly what I HOPED my smartphone would do the day I got it.

In fact I'm using it right now to enter this post with my Evo via my PC.

Observation: Must *hold* shift/fn keys on physical keyboardI'm using it with the Evo Shift, which has a built-in keyboard. One small observation that threw me off for a while: You have to actually *hold* the shift key and/or function key on the physical keyboard to get the shifted letter (or number or symbol) to type correctly.

Since this is different from the usual Android usage, it might be worth mentioning in the documentation somewhere. I wouldn't classify it as a problem or bug, just something people need to know about.

The Keyboard Problem
The problem--these keys do not work at all:

- Up, down, right, and left arrow, home, end, ins, del, page up, page down (all of these are on the on the on-screen function keys)

The function keys f1, f2, f3, etc, work just fine, and so do shift, alt, ctrl, tab, & win/cmd.

Feature requests
Two related feature requests:

1. It would be very useful to use the Shift's touchpad as arrow keys.

2. It would be helpful to be able to do Win-key shortcuts--win-e to open explorer, win-d to go to desktop, etc.

My set up:

Evo Shift with Android 2.2,using wifi & 3G
PocketCloud Free 1.1.108
Connecting via RDP
English (US) keyboard selected
Problem is the same with and without the Windows Companion
To Windows XP computer (SP3)

3 Posts

On the computer side I was using a few different apps--Notepad, Eudora, Word. I do think the problem is on the Android end, though, after what I observed today.

925 Posts

Keyboard problem: I was able to operate the keyboard keys on a sticky note. . Can you tell me which text editing ap are you using on your desktop please?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

925 Posts

I am just trying to understand more, so android keyboard app is changed during the rdp session. The pocketcloud app is on background and user goes to locale keyboard settings to change keyboard ?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

3 Posts

Ok, the plot thickens... 

Today I used pocketcloud and all of those keys worked perfectly. The little touchpad on the physical keyboard worked just fine, too. Every one of those problems I outlined above appeared to be completely gone. 

I have the stock group keyboard app installed, and also swiftkey and wifikeyboard. 

Today I started pc with SwiftKey as my keyboard app, and using the physical keyboard. At that point, everything keyboard related was working without a hitch. 

Then I switched from pc to opera browser, long-clicked on an input field, and switched to 'touch input'. 

Then I switched back to pc and continued typing. 

Now pc acted very strange... like the CTRL key was stuck on all the time. I couldn't figure anything to do to get out of that mode, with no luck--only restarting pc fixed it. 

I think I did the same thing the other day--used pc for a while, then went to a different app and changed the input method. That is when I noticed the malfunction with the special keys. (Though it was a slightly different malfunction yesterday--but similar enough I think it could have the same cause.) 

So the problem may have to do with switching to a different keyboard app in the middle of a pc session. 

Hope this helps.

925 Posts

I am using htc evo.Not the same, does not have the physical keyboard. will look into your issue. Thanks!

Wyse PocketCloud Team

No Events found!