Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2015 02:00

No special characters on Galaxy Note 2

No special characters on Galaxy Note 2

I have used PocketCloud Pro on iPhone successfuly for over a year to login to various Windows systems (Win 7, 20003, etc.). On one of those systems I use a 3270 terminal emulation product (Vista 3270 from TomBrennanSoftware.com) to emulate mainframe terminals.

I just got a Galaxy Note 2 (Verizon) and installed the free version of PocketCloud for Android to test before upgrading to the Pro version. I manually configured the RDP session and entered only the nickname, host address, user name, password and domain fields. No other options were entered. I use the standard Samsung keyboard.

When using the terminal emulator software I cannot enter any special characters (.,;'!@#, etc.). I press the key and nothing shows on the screen and the cursor does not move. Numbers and letters (lower and upper case) seem to be ok.

I also tried the Swype keyoard as well as installing the ICS and Go keyboards but got the same results. This problem only occurs when using the terminal emulator. PocketCloud for iPhone works fine.

I also tried both the 2X and Jump products and they work fine but I prefer PocketCloud and would like to continue to use it.

1.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 21:00

Our apologies for the inconvenience. Can you answer the following questions for me?

-What version of PocketCloud are you using?
-Does the keyboard work in the Windows Console screen?
-What firmware is your Galaxy Note 2 using? 
-What language is the device and server set to?

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

14 Posts

August 10th, 2015 21:00

I sent you a PM with the info.

1.3K Posts

Unfortunately we do not have an environment to test this with. Would you be able to provide us a test account so we can try to reproduce the issue in house?

Josh Maurer

14 Posts

Yes. Can you send me an email so that I can send you the login info?

1.3K Posts

PM sent, please reply to that when you get a chance.

Josh Maurer

14 Posts

Here are the answers to your questions: 

-What version of PocketCloud are you using?
On the Application Manager screen it says Version 1.3.116

-Does the keyboard work in the Windows Console screen?
Yes, the only problems I have had so far is when using the terminal emulator. 

-What firmware is your Galaxy Note 2 using? 
Model: SCH-I606
Android Version 4.1.1
Baseband version I605VRALL4
Kernel version 3.0.31-414933, se.infra@SEP-79 #1, SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 28 21:21:38 KST 2012
Build number JRO03C.I605VRALL4
Hardware version I605.06

-What language is the device and server set to? 
US English
I am using the Samsung keyboard on the Note 2.

Misc:
1. I haven't had any of these problems using a VNC connection to Windows 7 Pro running UltraVNC
2. The problems with RDP are occuring on both connections to Windows 7 Pro and Windows Server 2003 systems.
3. PocketCloud for iPhone Ver 2.2.143 works fine on both servers using RDP connections
PocketCloud Pro for iPhone Ver 2.2.244 works fine on both servers RDP connections

14 Posts

August 10th, 2015 22:00

And how do I type periods, commas or any other character not a shifted 0-9?

14 Posts

LeeL, thanks for your post! It reminded me that last August I borrowed my daughter's Transformer when I went out of town. I installed the free PocketCloud and don't remember having any problems. I took it specifically to test out the Android versions of apps that I use on my iPhone to see if I could replace my iPhone with an Android phone. The testing I did played a big part in my decision to go with the Galaxy Note 2 and not an iPad. I'm sure that I would have remembered having the keyboard problems that we're having now.

14 Posts

If they fix it I will post the results. If they don't, I will post that as well.

1.3K Posts

Our apologies for the inconvenience. I have filed a bug for the issues you guys are seeing (PCANDROID-1041). Our last release had a major refactor of our keyboard code to better support new devices and unfortunately it seems as though this broke some keyboard functionality on some less common server configurations like yours. 

LeeL, when did you update our application last? Did you do any device firmware updates or change what keyboard you are using?

As for this functionality working on the iOS version of our application, this is because keyboard events are different between the two operating systems.

Josh Maurer

14 Posts

Josh,

Any update on this? Let me know when you are ready to try another test and I will open up my test system again.

Thanks.

1.3K Posts

Unfortunately that is not possible for me to do.

Josh Maurer

Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

14 Posts

Capitals letters don't work either unless I use the shift key on the function key menu.

1 Message

Hopes

I hope the results get posted back into the thread. I am currently working with an end-user that is having the same issue only with IBM AS/400. we can use Mochasoft terminal emulator and have no issues but do not want to force her to use a separate terminal emulator and a separate remote desktop client.

1.3K Posts

Got the PM. Our engineers have determined that we do not send scan codes for special characters, instead the unicodes are sent to the session host for the special characters. The 3270 terminal emulator could be only expecting scan codes for special characters. 3270 terminal emulator should be able to change to also take in unicodes for special characters like any other box, such as Windows Console, cygwin Unix terminal emulators, etc. So you might want to play around with the emulators options to see if that is possible.

As a partial solution, you can try to toggle the SHIFT key on and then press "1" to get an "!". That might work. If so, the same would be for any key: SHIFT + can yield !@#$%^&*() etc.

Josh Maurer

No Events found!