Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M2

July 31st, 2015 01:00

Pro version and VMWare connection - 15 bit color depth

Pro version and VMWare connection - 15 bit color depth

When I connect to my work's VMWare server with Pocketcloud Pro, the screen shows up in what can only be described as 8 bit color. It's awful looking and barely readable. I have themes turned off, wallpaper, etc. and have tried all screen resolutions. This is using an Asus EEE Pad transformer.

If I use Pocketcloud Pro to connect to my home computer using Automatic/Pocketcloud Companion, it looks fine.

If I connect to the same VMWare server from my laptop, it connects and looks just fine.

Any help/suggestions? I can post a screen shot later if needed... but honestly, thats just what it looks like.. very very low color depth.

August 4th, 2015 02:00

No response yet?   Please help.

Here are screenshots demonstrating what is happening, the screen rendering is all over the map and I'm sure you'll get why I referred to it as '8 bit' looking:

925 Posts

August 9th, 2015 23:00

Hi melissa, when you connect to the vmserver from laptop are you using the vmware view client?
What is the color depth set on your laptop?

Thank you for your patience!

Wyse PocketCloud Team

Hi Suchitha,

It is the VMWare View Client, on Windows 7 and my Window's display properties are set to high (32 bit).

Delving further into this, it appears that this is a pretty common occurance with WYSE clients and VMWare where the resolution on the target host resorts to 15bit and gets stuck there. Does anyone have any furter information on this?

925 Posts

August 10th, 2015 00:00

Hi Melissa Can you connect to the view desktop using rdp? How does it look?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

925 Posts

what is the operating system on your view desktop? 
what version of view server ?
Thanks!

Wyse PocketCloud Team

925 Posts

Hi Melissa , For rdp we can change only on device. do you see any option to change resolution on your phone. 
I dont have an android device here. But on Iphone you can update resolution on the device. Will confirm later regarding android. 
Thanks!

Wyse PocketCloud Team

Suchitha: Couldn't that also be a bug in PocketCloud/View? Perhaps it should request 16bit color depth always when connecting (if it doesn't already)? Because it sounds as though even if some of these settings are made on the View/Server side, that the client might still be trying to request a higher color depth than the Policy or TS config allows which would then still force it to 15?

I've found the MSKB regarding the Group Policy and/or Terminal Services Configuration and forwarded it to IT.

View 4.5
Windows XP SP3 
Terminal Server/RDC 6.0.6001

Not sure if it's of help, but same issue on a different tablet (NC/Gingerbread as opposed to EEE Pad/Honeycomb), 

Unfortunately, no I cannot. It is VMWare View only..

925 Posts

Hi Melissa I have shared this information with our group. Thanks again !

Wyse PocketCloud Team

Thanks Suchitha, I hope we can find a solution and if not something is workable for an update on the VMWare side of PocketCloud. I appreciate your assistance.

925 Posts

Hi melissa, If it is windows xp, Default group policy on XP/2003 limits the maximum display color depth to 15 bits. You might be able to increase this with the help of your system administrator. If you need help with that, I can look it up.
Thanks!

Wyse PocketCloud Team

No Events found!