Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

July 30th, 2015 09:00

VNC password works locally but not over cloud?

Question VNC password works locally but not over cloud?

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem and/or has a idea what's going on.

Currently I am using Wyse PocketCloudWindows Companion v2.2.15 (up to date according to the built-in utility as of this posting) along with PocketCloud Free v1.2.165 for Android.

I have TightVNC v2.0.4 installed on my laptop running Windows 7 Professional. Primary password is set and am not using "view-only". All other settings are default. Router is properly configured to forward both UDP & TCP port 5900 for VNC and 3389 for RDP (though it looks like that is moot because I can't use it lest i have the premium version of PocketCloud). Even have the local Windows Firewall disabled to see if that was causing problems to no avail.

Using PocketCloud and when connected to my local network via wifi, I able to connect to my laptop via a manual connection I set up.

Curiously...when I try to connect using the cloud*, it thinks that the VNC password is missing and I cannot go beyond that. Anyone have ideas?

* While I recently set up Google 2-stage verification, I had this problem before then too. I have reconfigured both PocketCloud (both on device and laptop) to utilize the appropriate application specific passwords.

Any insight or help would be most appreciated =)

Thanks!

EDIT: Added version details about WSE PocketCloud

1.3K Posts

Let me have you take a look at this solution to the error from our Knowledge base:

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...-wrong-message

Please let me know if this helps.

1.3K Posts

Kaweru, please uninstall the PocketCloud Companion application. Once this is uninstalled, what I would like you to try is setting the VNC password again (same instructions from my previous post):

-Right click on the V icon in your system tray (for TightVNC)
-Select Configuration...
-On the Server tab, where is says Primary Password:, select the Set/Change button
-Enter a password for VNC connections
-Select the Access Control tab
-Make sure Allow Loopback connections is checked
-Press the Apply button

Now that the password has been reset, install the latest version of the PocketCloud Companion here:

http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsuppor...20Downloads%29

It sounds like maybe the Companion application was just not recognizing that you set a password. Hopefully by setting a password with the companion uninstalled, then installing it with the password already set it will fix the issue. Please let me know if you are still having trouble after doing this.

4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Kaweru, sorry to hear you are having trouble getting connected. Lets see if we can get this resolved for you...

What type of connection are you using when you are having trouble getting connected outside of your local network (Manual or Automatic)? Do you have the username and password saved in the connection settings in PocketCloud? Does your network have any other required security when accessing it remotely (like VPN)?

Thank you for your response Josh.

I am having trouble getting connected to my laptop running the PocketCloud Companion using the auto-discovery via the cloud (Automatic). For some curious reason, this type of connection is convince my VNC is set up without a password.

The manual connection I set up curiously works, both when I connect to it via my WAN IP address when I'm outside my home network...and also when I connect to the local IP when my Android is connected to the local IP address.

When you mention username and password for PocketCloud, I am not sure if you're referring to the companion version running on the laptop or the mobile device (my Android), so I will try to address both. The PocketCloud Companion, as far as I know, does not store my VNC details (that is handled by TightVNC itself). It does, however, save my Google login details. Similarly the PocketCloud app on my Android does not store my VNC information either. It too only stores my Google login information.

As for additional security means to connect to my system, such as VPN, I do not have anything special set up.

1.3K Posts

Kaweru, sorry to hear you are having trouble getting connected. Lets see if we can get this resolved for you...

What type of connection are you using when you are having trouble getting connected outside of your local network (Manual or Automatic)? Do you have the username and password saved in the connection settings in PocketCloud? Does your network have any other required security when accessing it remotely (like VPN)?

1.3K Posts

kaweru, thanks for providing the additional information. To try and fix this issue with your VNC connection I am going to have you try something...

-Select Configuration...
-On the Server tab, where is says Primary Password:, select the Set/Change button
-Press the Apply button

From here, you can try connecting on your mobile device to that VNC connection. You will be prompted to enter your VNC password you just created and you should be able to connect from there. Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.

4 Posts

Let me have you take a look at this solution to the error from our Knowledge base:

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...-wrong-message

Please let me know if this helps.

Sorry for the late response as it has been a busy past few days.

I have checked out that link as you suggested and have confirmed the following:
* The error is not "VNC Password Wrong"
* No password for the problematic VNC connection is stored on my mobile device
* It does not appear TightVNC supports encryption.

4 Posts

kaweru, thanks for providing the additional information. To try and fix this issue with your VNC connection I am going to have you try something...

-Select Configuration...
-Press the Apply button

From here, you can try connecting on your mobile device to that VNC connection. You will be prompted to enter your VNC password you just created and you should be able to connect from there. Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.

Most curiously and most unfortunately...it did not work. Connecting via the auto-detect cloud...PocketVNC still reports "VNC password missing". The manually added connection I made works when I connect by IP through an IP redirection service. Similarly also works when my device is connected to the local network via wifi and connect to the local IP address. =\

I doubt it has to do with my recently set up Google 2-stage verification. I have properly set up application-specific passwords for the applications to work. Especially considering I was having this same issue before I set up the 2-stage. The transition from basic security to 2-stage did temporarily render my laptop not being visible to the cloud...but once that was resolved, I could see it again...albeit the "missing password" issue.

EDIT: Added additional question/possible variable

No Events found!