Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2015 23:00

2 or more computers with same name & auto discovery

2 or more computers with same name & auto discovery

I have to access computers on different networks that have the same name, but when I install the companion it chooses the nickname automatically from the computer's name.

This causes problems with auto discovery in Pocketcloud Pro on my iPad.

Can I override the nickname in the Companion so that it show differently on my iPad?

Thanks

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 00:00

You can edit the nickname in the PocketCloud application by selecting Edit on the connection you wish to rename. On the Connection Settings screen, you can modify the nickname.

You cannot modify the computer name from the PocketCloud Companion application, but you can rename your computers name through the operating system.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2015 08:00

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

You can edit the nickname in the PocketCloud application by selecting Edit on the connection you wish to rename. On the Connection Settings screen, you can modify the nickname. 

You cannot modify the computer name from the PocketCloud Companion application, but you can rename your computers name through the operating system.
Sadly, you can't edit the nickname of an auto-discovered computer. It is greyed out. Every computer has a unique ID (I assume), therefore, changing the name should be an easy function, but changing the nickname on the PC would be better.

1.3K Posts

August 12th, 2015 02:00

You cannot edit the computers nickname from the PocketCloud Companion application. You can ONLY edit the nickname (on the device) with PocketCloud installed. Changing the nickname on the mobile device will not change the name of the computer it is actually connecting to, only its nickname that is displayed on your mobile device. 

If you would like to edit the nickname on your mobile device, select Edit on the auto-discovered connection. After selecting Edit, you will be on the Connection Settings screen. On this screen, you can tap where it says Nickname, after doing that the Edit Nickname screen will show. From here you can edit the connections nickname (local only, this will not actually change the name of the computer you are connecting to).

If you wish to change the actual name of the computer you are connecting to, you must do it through that computers operating system.

Windows:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-computer-name

Mac:
http://www.macswitched.com/2008/01/h...-mac-os-x.html

1.3K Posts

I am terribly sorry for the incorrect information and the misunderstanding on my part. You are correct, you cannot edit the nicknames on automatic connections. It is not possible at this time and I have passed along the request to the product team to be able to do that in the future. 

The easiest work around for this would be to create a manual connection for those computers so you can set the nicknames for each. You could also change the name of the PC through the OS using the information from my previous post.

4 Posts

You cannot edit the computers nickname from the PocketCloud Companion application. You can ONLY edit the nickname (on the device) with PocketCloud installed. Changing the nickname on the mobile device will not change the name of the computer it is actually connecting to, only its nickname that is displayed on your mobile device. 

If you would like to edit the nickname on your mobile device, select Edit on the auto-discovered connection. After selecting Edit, you will be on the Connection Settings screen. On this screen, you can tap where it says Nickname, after doing that the Edit Nickname screen will show. From here you can edit the connections nickname (local only, this will not actually change the name of the computer you are connecting to).

If you wish to change the actual name of the computer you are connecting to, you must do it through that computers operating system.

Windows:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-computer-name

Mac:
http://www.macswitched.com/2008/01/h...-mac-os-x.html

This is not how the iPad version works.

The Edit button only allows you to Delete or Change the position of entries.
Connection Settings is the button which is at the right under the connect button.
When you go into Connection Settings for a Manual Connection, then you can change the Nickname.
When you go into Connection Settings for a Discovered Connection, then the Nickname is greyed out.

I am using version 2.2.223 of PocketCloud Pro which is the latest release.

I shouldn't have to explain how the software works to you, Josh. If I'm missing something, then I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

It seems that maybe this isn't possible at this time, if so, please make a request to the development team. Changing the Nickname within the PocketCloud Companion would be best.

4 Posts

The reason I like the Auto-discovery connections is the security of not having to open ports on the router as all the comms are handled by the Companion app on the PC. Manual connections require port-forwarding.

I can't change the name of the Windows Servers, as you can probably appreciate.

Thanks for forwarding the request. Hopefully it will appear soon in an update.

Thanks for your time and speedy replies.

12 Posts

August 12th, 2015 03:00

I am also having this same issue with like-named servers and auto-discovered connections. I put in the ability to edit nicknames as a feature request back in June, so hopefully it is on the roadmap.

1.3K Posts

August 12th, 2015 03:00

No problem and yes, please keep an eye out on future releases! =]

1.3K Posts

August 13th, 2015 02:00

Unfortunately the feature has only been implemented in the OSX Companion, but should eventually make it into the Windows Companion. So keep an eye out on future releases!

1.3K Posts

Hey guys, download the latest version of the companion (OSX). It now has the ability to rename the connection.

You can download it here:
http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsuppor...20Downloads%29

12 Posts

Hey guys, download the latest version of the companion (OSX). It now has the ability to rename the connection.

You can download it here:
http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsuppor...20Downloads%29

Does this only apply to the Mac version? I don't use a Mac, and just downloaded the new Windows version 2.3.7 of the companion. It still does not allow nicknames to be renamed.

12 Posts

Josh,

Any update on this request? I keep downloading the new Windows Companion updates hoping to be able to rename the connection or set a nickname, but nothing so far.

No Events found!