Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

July 30th, 2015 02:00

Can't install PocketCloud Companion for Windows

Can't install PocketCloud Companion for Windows

I get a read file error on the .msi file - I've downloaded the installation file from Wyse twice now (plus someone from support has confirmed the behaviour and I think he's going to raise it internally). Thought I'd let people know.

1.3K Posts

August 4th, 2015 08:00

What version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7 Home, Professional, Ultimate, etc) are you using and what service pack version is it running?

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

4 Posts

August 4th, 2015 08:00

Vista, service pack 2, but it's not a problem with my system - it's a problem with the file I downloaded (I know this because a colleague of yours had exactly the same experience when he tried to install it whilst I was on the phone with him about my problem). The file for download is obviously corrupted in some way.

1.3K Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Try downloading and installing the companion using a .msi file instead of the .exe from our website. You can download the .msi of the latest Windows companion here:
http://goo.gl/zRrhR

Press the Yellow download button on the left side to download the file. Please let me know if this helps.

Josh Maurer

1.3K Posts

Glad to hear that worked. Our engineers are looking into it. =]

Josh Maurer

1 Message

downloaded both the .exe and the .msi file. apparently the first attempt to install was not successful and there is something in the registry that precludes a new install. all attempts led to repair and uninstall options. neither one works. control panel does not show PC as being installed, so i cannot remove it. the dialog with the .msi file: another version of this product is already installed stops the install.

4 Posts

Yes, that worked fine - thank you very much! (although you obviously need to do some work on the .exe file download!).

1.3K Posts

August 7th, 2015 10:00

Some of our customers have had some success using the Microsoft FixIt program. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU RUN THIS PROGRAM.
Please note that while some of our customers have had success using this program, Dell Wyse does not support it. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

To download this program, go to the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center at http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

1- Select Windows
2- Select "Install or upgrade software or hardware" on the left pane
3- Select "Install or remove programs" on the right pane
4- Select Run Now on the option "Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled"
5- Download the Windows companion form the following ftp://ftp-us.wyse.com/pub/Support/So...on_v2.4.19.exe
6- Install and configure PocketCloud Windows Companion

Please let me know if this resolves your problem.

If this does not resolve the problem, an in order to proceed to help you resolve the issue you are experiencing, and help us troubleshoot the problem, please answer as accurately as you can the following questions:

1- What is the version NUMBER of the PocketCloud Windows Companion your are trying to install?
2- What version of Windows are you using on your Remote computer(e.g. XP Pro, Vista Home, Win 7 Ultimate)?
3- Is this a 32 or 64 Bit system?
4- Are you installing it directly from the web or are you executing the file locally?
5- What are the exact error messages (if any) that you are getting?

Can you also please send me the PocketCloud Companion installation log. To get this file, please follow these steps:
1- Open a command prompt window and type "set temp" and press Enter, This will display your current TEMP directory path
2- Launch Windows Explorer and go to your temp directory (If you cannot find this directory, you will have to enable the folder option "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
3- Find the file that start with MSIxxxxx.LOG and has a date and time close to your installation date and time. This file should look something like MSI7ab12.LOG
4- Go to pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com , open your case and attach the file to the case by selecting the the option "Attach File >>" under the Attachments section. If you are replying via email, just attach it to the reply

Note: You may want to re-install the Windows Companion to make finding this file easier.

Josh Maurer

No Events found!