Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

June 26th, 2015 07:00

Different wnos.ini files based on physical location?

SmileDifferent wnos.ini files based on physical location?

Hello -

We are thinking about deploying R10L devices at my work for use with Microsoft RDP (connecting to Server 2008 R2 farm).

I have been looking over the wnos.ini configuration information and I'm wondering if there is a way to push different wnos.ini files to clients from the same FTP server. Is it as simple as using different root paths under our FTP server for each location and then setting up the "central configuration" settings on each client before deploying it?

So every client would have the same ftp server but the "FTP Root Path" would be different based on what location they are in. If so, how would I do the initial setup locally? From what I've seen, you only specify the name of the FTP server, and the "FTP Root Path" is set through the wnos.ini file.

Thanks!

20 Posts

Thanks for the response!

Our main branch is the only one that has a fully featured DHCP server, the rest use the Avaya phone system to handle DHCP, which doesn't have the ability to setup non-standard options.

It should still work though, we'll just have to pre-program them before we send them out. Then we'll be able to push updates to them at least, assuming they don't need to be set to factory defaults ever...

13 Posts

Another option might be to key off of the IP address, assuming your locations have different subnets.

For example, let's say your locations have subnets 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24.

You could have one wnos.ini file that has all of the common settings, and this as the last line:
include=&Left($IP,9).ini

Then you'd have (in the "inc" folder) two files named
192.168.1.ini and
192.168.2.ini

These files would have the location specific information.

6 Posts

Assuming each location has their own DHCP server, this should be very easy to set up. Like you said, set up different paths on the FTP server for the WNOS folder for each location and then in your DHCP option 162 for each location point to the correct path.

By default they tell you to set up your WNOS folder in "C:\Inetpub\ftproot\wyse" which corresponds to "\" in the option tag 162. If you have a site known as "Dallas" you could create a folder here "C:\Inetpub\ftproot\wyse\Dallas" and then put your WNOS folder there for your Dallas site and in the DHCP server for Dallas, use "\Dallas" as your FTP path, Option Tag 162.

1 Message

April 4th, 2017 22:00

subnet parameter is added in recent ThinOS 8

No Events found!