Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

5 Posts

February 28th, 2022 10:00

USB Redirection Worse in 9.1

Is it just us or is USB redirection worse in 9.1 than the 8.x versions? Redirecting USB devices has always been hit or miss on thin clients, particularly with ThinOS (we used to use PCoIP zero clients), but 9.1 seems to have come out half-baked with regards to USB redirection (i.e. force local & force redirect functions). Dell seems to have made the complexity of simply redirecting a USB device more complex than it has to be. It's far from plug and play. It took us a long time just to get the product and vendor code formats right when adding exclusions.

There's an area for Scanner Redirection (for BLAST) that helps with certain USB devices but not others. In one scenario (using PCoIP) if a user plugs in a USB flash drive it won't work, but if the flash drive is plugged in BEFORE they login it'll work. I have another user if he keeps his external HDD plugged in for most of the day it'll eventually stop working and only after logging off and back on will the issue go away (highly disruptive to the user). After upgrading to 9.1 after days and hours of effort we can not longer get our Fujitsu scanners to work, no matter whether we use the Scanner Redirection method or general redirection, which has forced us to rollback certain 9.1 users to 8.6.

In another scenario our large touchscreen TV's that worked within 8.6 no longer work properly in 9.1. They display properly but the touch interface via USB is broken, as soon as you touch the screen the entire thin client reboots abruptly. This happens despite using the appropriate touchscreen policy and adding the product vendor codes as requested by 9.1.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this?

12 Posts

May 26th, 2022 21:00

I agree USB redirection in 9.1 is a nightmare, but unfortunately I don't think I was using 8.6 enough to tell you if it's better or worse.  We constantly have to unplug and replug in label printers and scanners.  The worst is for users who use a Thin Client when in the office, but the Horizon Client on a computer at home.

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

May 30th, 2022 02:00

Depends on the "redirection" kind.

Low-level redirection (aka RemoteFX) is simply nonexistent, to date.

High-level redirection (aka remote device "mapping") is available. I can't tell if it's OK or not because we are sticking to ThinOS 8.6, because of the absence of RemoteFX (among other "glitches" of ThinOS 9).

1 Message

March 1st, 2023 07:00

Yes - I've got a support ticket open with Dell.  It seems to be an issue across the board with 9.x regardless of device (i.e. DW 5070 or Optiplex 3000 TC).

For me there is also an issue with mouse pointers in some applications, Excel is a good example - the mouse is a black cross (instead of white cross), and text in cells inverses the pointer.  Not a big problem, but in our CAD software the pointer doesnt have the required cross for targetting nodes.

I digress....   Regarding USB, it seems to me that anything using RTAV (e.g. Webcams) work, but not USB storage or Serial adapters. It doesn't matter what version of PCoIP or Horizon client we use, the same.  However when we 'downgrade' to ThinOS 8.6.x everything works.  Not a problem then if you can downgrade, but some devices such as the Optiplex 3000 TC don't have a Merlin image for this!

Dell are blaming Teradici, and have told me to wait until they fix the issue, but I suspect this is at the Dell end of development since I believe Dell develope the software in partnership with HP/Teradici.

I am now just waiting for some sort of progress/confirmation that Dell are chasing this up with their Devs/Taradici.

No Events found!