Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2015 09:00

How to free up disk space from old Windows updates

Lightbulb How to free up disk space from old Windows updates

Over time, the size of the Windows installation on the Reference Device and in the OS images will grow as Windows Updates are applied to the system.

• Patches and updates are downloaded to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder and remain there even after patch Installation has completed. To free up disk space, the content of this folder can be deleted after all updates have been installed successfully.
  • Old versions of system components and files for uninstalled, disabled Windows components are stored in C:\Windows\WinSxS folder. This folder is the Windows component store and includes all operating system files and thus can grow very large as udated are installed. You should not try to delte files in this folder yourself, but rather use these options to reduce the size of WinSxS folder in a safe an controlled mode:
      • On Windows 7 SP1, install the Update from Microsoft KB Article 2852386. This will add an option called Windows Update Cleanup to the Disk Cleanup wizard, which helps to reduce the size of the WinSxS folder.
      • On Windows 8.1, the command line tool dism.exe can be used to clean up the sytem.
      • Run this command from a elevated command prompt: dism.exe /Cleanup-Image /online /StartComponentCleanup /Resetbase
      • This Microsoft Technet Article explains what dism.exe and the paramters used do in detail: technet.microsoft.com/.../dn251565.aspx

Warning: While I have seen no negative impact by using above methods, you should use them carefully and understand that they are performed on your own risk. Make sure you always have a backup in place before start makinging any changes to the Windows Installation and the production image!

#Iwork4Dell

63 Posts

Hello

Another thing I figured: cleanmgr /sageset , if there are Update System Files button, click it first, then tick everything, and click OK. It saves the settings to registry.

When you want to execute it, just run cleanmgr /sagerun.

It takes care of SoftwareDistribution, among a lot other places too.

-eirik

42 Posts

thank you.

200 Posts

Thanks for the contribution Eiris!
I'm using sageset option almost all the but like to save my personal settings in a seperate profile. For example: cleanmgr /sageset:1 to store, and then cleanmgr /sagerun:1 to load the stored configuration and initiate the cleanup easily with a shortcut on the desktop.

Cleanafterme is also one of my favorites when preping an Image for distribution. I'm using it on Win7/8/8.1 w/o issue, but again, this is on your own risk.

#Iwork4Dell

No Events found!