Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C2

May 21st, 2015 04:00

Flash Drive for Update no longer works

Flash Drive for Update no longer works

I am working on a installation setup script for our Wyse V90LEW thin clients. I use a flash drive to update the BIOS, OS, and CMOS for a clean start each time before I test my install script. I created the flash drive using the Wyse USB Firmware Tool 1.10 on XP running in a virtual PC on Windows 7. This all worked great for about a week.

I then inserted the flash drive into another thin client of the same model and it displayed a "Security Key" error message while attempting to load the flash boot software. I tested the flash drive in the original machine and received the same error.

I then attempted to recreate the original flash drive using the Wyse USB Firmware Tool 1.10 but now I get a message "USB drive is not big enought [SIC] to accomodate [SIC] the image folder, please insert higher capacity drive."

I then tried a 4GB USB drive and the Wyse USB Firmware Tool 1.10 would build the image okay, but the V90LEW does not recognize that USB flash drive as a boot device.

* Why did the 2GB drive all of a sudden not have enough room to install the image when it did before?
* Why do I get the security key failure?
* Why does the V90LEW not recognize the 4GB USB Drive in the Hard Disk Boot Priority section of the Advanced BIOS Features section of the CMOS Setup Utility thus allowing the firmware, OS, and CMOS to be updated from the 4GB drive?

Thank you.

623 Posts

May 29th, 2015 01:00

Carp,
your problem may be related to the Windows 7 machine that the Firmware tool is installed on, as Windows 7 is not a supported platform. You may also want to add information on the image version you are trying to install and the make and model of the flash drive. Review the USB FT manual for requirements.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

June 10th, 2015 08:00

Hi Roger,

Thanks for looking into this issue. I had the same thought about Windows 7 so I tried the USB Firmware Tool utility on a native XP machine and had the same results. Bear in mind that all of this was working fine under the XP Virtual PC on Windows 7 until I encountered this 'Security Key' issue.

The USB drives I am using are a Sandisk micro 2GB (which results in an insufficient room error), and a Sandisk 4GB (not micro) (which is not recognized by the firmware as a boot device).

The image I have been loading, and now cannot, is the latest directly from the Wyse site:

Firmware Version Notes Posted Date
WES V90LW/V90LEW Image V8.01 B688 WES V90LW/V90LEW Image 19-Apr-2010
(1.15 GB)

Thank you

623 Posts

June 11th, 2015 04:00

Satish,
You are more than likely using the wrong image, that's what the "Security Key Failure" message indicates. If your V90L only has 512MB, you will need to download and install the following firmware:  https://appservices.wyse.com/support...0_S627_512.exe

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here is some new information. I have tried to load the image on three different V90LEW thin clients and none of them recognize the USB flash drive as a bootable device. I inserted the flash drive into a V90 thin client (512MB) and the drive is recognized as bootable by the BIOS.

Why can a V90 recognize the boot sector of the flash drive, but a V90LEW cannot? Am I missing a BIOS configuration setting somewhere?

Carp,
The issue could be several things.
- Make sure that when you are using the Wyse USB image tool you have an active NIC port, in other words plug in a network cable so that the card is blinking/active.
- Be sure to choose WES, not WES7 when configuring the key.
- Make sure that you are using a WES firmware image.

The V90 and the V90LEW have two different BIOS's. USB keys are picky so what works in one may not work in another.
I have had good success with key that I have ordered from Microcenter. I purchase the store brand which is made by Kingston.

Hi,
I am trying to push the Windows Xpe Image on to a Wyse Winterm V90L Thin Client using Wyse USb Image tool.I am create the image and able to boot using Transcand Jetflash 4Gb pen Drive,But Once I reach the Confirmation Page "Press Y to Push the Image: " and By confirming with Y ,after few seconds then it shows Security key is not mathcing and immiditly I received an error
The error details are as follows: "EEprom Validation stage:
Security_Key_Failure.Security key on the device and on the image package do not match .Make sure that you are deploying correct image for the Intended plat forma.Exec=233."

I have downloaded the Image file from the wyse location..
Thin Clinet has 512 mb Flash and 1GB Memory.I tried to Push the image through WDM,but Thinclient is it self is not able discover.
pls advice how otherway I can push the Windows XPe Os.

Thanks in Adv.

623 Posts

You may also want to look on wyse's knowledge base for article #17735 at www.wyse.com/manuals . You may have to remove the U3 utilities included with most of the SanDisk drives.

Roger Montalvo 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Okay - I found a PNY that is letting me install the base system again on the machine.

No Events found!