Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 20th, 2015 04:00

Wyse Z90DW monitor resolution issue with VGA cable

Wyse Z90DW monitor resolution issue with VGA cable

Hi - we have new Z90DW's and have been buying Viewsonic VG2228wm monitors to connect to them.

When using a VGA cable with the DVI-VGA adapter, the Z90DW does not correctly display 1920x1080. The display is compressed vertically, leaving a large black band at the bottom of the monitor, and also appears to still be 'stretched' horizontally. This monitor's native resolution is 1080, so it should look perfect on the screen, and does with a DVI cable. No amount of 'manual' adjustment on the monitor can fix the issue.

I would recommend a DVI cable but my employee with this issue has a VGA KVM switch in her setup, so DVI is not available. Before advising her to buy a new KVM (and I'm not even sure her home PC - the other half attached to the KVM - has a DVI-cable video card), I thought I would check here to see if there's some trick to getting the Z90DW to display correctly with the DVI adapter and a VGA cable.

Thanks in advance,

--AJ

May 20th, 2015 05:00

*** that no one replied to you, and even though it's probably too late, I'll add what I know.

A lot of KVM switches don't support higher resolutions, especially if designed for vga. Most of the ones I know wouldn't support more than 1280x1024 moreless 1600x1200 or 1920x1080. This is more than likely where you are getting the compression from.

The easiest way to test if it is the KVM is to hook up the monitor directly. If it works fine directly, then it's definitely the KVM. If not, it might be the DVI to VGA converter. I've seen some weird stuff with convertors too.

No Events found!