Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 05:00

"Grub loading..." message on booting from USB

Hello guys,
i have a problem with installing WES7 on my Dell Wyse 7020 Thin Client

When creating the bootable USB I get the success message but then when I insert it in the Wyse device and boot from it, i got a message "Grub loading..." and then restarts and then again and again.

so, for downloading the WES7 image, i went to this page: https://appservices.wyse.com/pages/serviceandsupport/support/downloads.asp
and then selected Z90Q7P/D90Q7P/Z90QQ7P/7202 from the WES group (my dell wyse model is Zx0Q) so here i'd like to ask you guys if this is the correct option to select from the select menu.
then I've downloaded the first file  BOB0_7065_16GB.exe (11-Jul-2017). Extracted it to get to the file .rsp
Then I open the USB Imaging Tool 3.1, click on push image, select my rsp file and click on "Configure USB Drive" in order to create the bootable usb.

I tried with a lot of .exe downloaded files, but none of them seems to work for me.
Should I select another file to download? what am I missing here?

any help would be highly appreciated
thanks
kind regards

3 Apprentice

• 

706 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 07:00

What version of the imaging tool are you using?

When you configured the USB drive using the tool did you select 32 bit or 64 bit?   

Whichever you chose, try the opposite.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2018 02:00

hello and thanks for the quick reply.

i used Dell_Wyse_USB_Imaging_Tool_v3.1.0 and I think I used 32 bit. If I don't find another solution i'll try also with 64bit.
But meanwhile I uninstalled that version and installed Dell_Wyse_USB_Imaging_Tool_v2.0.9.15 just for trying.
And now i don't get anymore that Grub error, instead it boots correctly and goes into the boot "wizard". i choose to push image to the Dell device from USB, and then I get an error while validating security key.
Error stage: Eeprom validation
Reason: mismatch between security key of the device and security key of the image
Solution: check if is the correct image to deploy for the intended platform

so the main problem here seems to be choosing the wrong OS image. but how can I find the right image? i repeat, the model No. on my device is Zx0Q, but the model name should be Dell Wyse 7020 Thin Client.

thanks
kind regards

3 Apprentice

• 

706 Posts

December 5th, 2018 04:00

@pmocanu wrote:

hello and thanks for the quick reply.

i used Dell_Wyse_USB_Imaging_Tool_v3.1.0 and I think I used 32 bit. If I don't find another solution i'll try also with 64bit.
But meanwhile I uninstalled that version and installed Dell_Wyse_USB_Imaging_Tool_v2.0.9.15 just for trying.
And now i don't get anymore that Grub error, instead it boots correctly and goes into the boot "wizard". i choose to push image to the Dell device from USB, and then I get an error while validating security key.
Error stage: Eeprom validation
Reason: mismatch between security key of the device and security key of the image
Solution: check if is the correct image to deploy for the intended platform

so the main problem here seems to be choosing the wrong OS image. but how can I find the right image? i repeat, the model No. on my device is Zx0Q, but the model name should be Dell Wyse 7020 Thin Client.

thanks
kind regards

Are you certain the existing OS on the device is WES7P, 64-bit? You are correct the security key mismatch means you are trying to layer a different OS on the device than it was shipped with. The 7020 also shipped with WES7, and WES8 which show in the list as downloadable options.

https://appservices.wyse.com/pages/serviceandsupport/support/downloads.asp

I would try the 64 bit format with USB 2.0 as well.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2018 23:00

no i´m not sure, i think the device was originally shipped with WES7E 32 bit. but I have no idea where I can download that version from.

after several tries, I´ve finally managed to install this version: WES7 WFR8 English from this page https://appservices.wyse.com/pages/serviceandsupport/support/dlOraFW.asp?which=171&model=Z90Q7/7020(Windows%20Embedded%20(WES)) i´ve downloaded BOB0_0895_16GB.exe (7.13 GB) v9.08 B895 because i´ve checked the device on the dell support page ( ) and saw that it was shipped with this 9.08 version. In the software section shows: SOFTWARE, WES7, V9.08, 50/7020, ENGLAND/ENGLISH

but it was a very limited edition of software, I couldn´t even open My Computer to see the files for example, or neither couldn´t I logoff and then login as an Admin

what others versions could I try to download?

thanks

regards

3 Apprentice

• 

706 Posts

December 7th, 2018 04:00

That rings a bell.  I do think WES7 standard was sold on some of these.  If you really desire the 32 bit version you could contact support, but you would be better suited under the 64 bit.  

As for the logins and behavior have a look at this getting started guide and it should answer your questions.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306225/getting-started-guide-windows-embedded-standard-7p-for-dell-wyse-thin-clients?lang=en

2 Posts

March 6th, 2019 13:00

Hey,

Were you able to resolve this problem? I have the same exact issues. I purchased some used "Dell Wyse Z90DW 909684-21L 4GB Flash 2GB RAM" and "Dell WYSE 7020 Zx0Q 2.0Ghz 4GB" off Ebay. The Thin Client's didn't come with any OS.

I am finding it impossible getting an OS that would work appropriately for mine.

Please let me now if you found a solution to yours that could help my situation.

No Events found!