Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2019 17:00

XPS 8900, USB Controller failed state

Dell xps 8900 i7-6700 Windows 7 Pro

"The USB Controller is in a failed state..."

A little background, I have a Kworld USB video capture stick: UB445-U that I installed on this system but it took forever to do so. I tried different drivers, setting windows to not update or install the drivers automatically etc., changed BIOS settings from RAID to AHCI etc.
I finally got it to install doing all the former and by hooking the device to an unpowered USB hub into either of the top USB 2 ports.
Trying to get the Kworld stick installed and trying so many different ways to do it some how messed up the system. It thought it was in the UK and set the time zone and keyboard as such and would reset it to that after every new boot plus other odd things I can't quite remember now.

Chrome searches were also giving weird results then I realized I had the "Chromium" search bar from a sneaky imgburn install. I tried to uninstall all the "Chormium" junk but couldn't figure out if I had removed all of it...

No problem, I had managed to get the Kworld stick installed before so I decided to do a factory refresh (I still haven't figured out what that really is because I can find nothing online from Dell or elsewhere that even mentions "refresh", only reset, recovery, or restore?)
After the factory refresh I decided to install the Kworld stick with the fresh Windows 7. It wouldn't install.
The install program runs a quick system check and says:
(green check mark followed by)DirectX is 9.0c up (I'm guessing it means I have a newer version?)
(red exclamation point followed by)You don't have any host USB 2.0 port on your computer.
(green check mark followed by)You have enough privilege to install software on this computer.
(green check mark followed by)Your Windows version WindowsXP SP2.

I tried installing the Kworld on a Lenovo and an HP,  both Windows 7 64 bit and it installed perfectly on  both.

I decided to investigate the Kworld warning of  "you don't have any host USB 2.0 port on your computer." statement and finally found the Windows USB Troubleshooter.
Installed and ran it and immediately get: "The USB Controller is in a failed state or is not currently installed..."
Running the Windows USB Troubleshooter on the Lenovo and HP laptops reports all is fine.

I've searched everything on this site I can find on any xps 8900 USB troubles. I've done everything on the Dell site "How to troubleshoot USB issues.(https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln115082/how-to-troubleshoot-usb-issues?lang=en#Refresh_USB_Controller_Hub)

I've searched Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible troubles and have found nothing. I'm the type that can usually find enough info and piece together a fix even if I never find anything that's a direct copy of the problem I'm facing. The Dell SupportAssist on this machine broke back in December and now just hangs when it gets to the hardware part of the test so that program isn't helping and the ePSA in BIOS finds nothing wrong and device manager shows all is well.
Doing a factory refresh hasn't fixed it and now I'm out of ideas.

Anyone with anything similar?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2019 11:00

I suspect your recovery partition is long gone = unusable/corrupted.

Bite the bullet, and if all your files are backed up on external media, install Win 10 on this system. Support for Win 7 ends next January, so unless you plan to replace this PC at that time, you're still going to have to install Win 10. So get it over with and stop torturing yourself.

Reformat the HDD and do a clean Win 10 install.

The version of Win 10 on that Dell disk is long out of date. Go to the Microsoft site and download the latest Win 10 ISO (build 1809) and follow the instructions to do a clean install. The Win 7 Product Key sticker on the PC should allow you to activate Win 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 10th, 2019 11:00

Did you install all the required drivers for your hardware with Win 7, 64-bit, starting with the chipset drivers?

Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver

Intel USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver

Intel Management Engine Components Installer

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 10th, 2019 14:00

You have to install all the Drivers INCLUDING CHIPSET and INTEL USB 3 Driver AND Directx 9 must be REINSTALLED via the DXSETUP program run as adminstrator from the directx June 2010 setup.

You download this and EXTRACT INTO A FOLDER

then run DXSETUP.EXE

Beyond that you also have to install DOT NET 2.0 and 3.5 and media features via add features to windows along with LEGACY Directx support.  Under Control panel,  programs and features ADD FEATURES TO WINDOWS.

KWORLD usb sticks are not made or supported by dell.

1.  Enable Legacy Direct play in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features \Turn Windows Features on or Off. Also enable Dotnet 2.0 3.5 in the same place.

2.  Download DirectX June 2010  Extract to a folder and Run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

3. Download and install the Latest Drivers for your video card.

4.  Run the Game in Directx 9 mode not Directx 11 mode.

This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:

Your hard disk drive does not have sufficient space available to play
    The Microsoft Windows paging file is corrupted.
    The version of INTEL HD Graphics does not have DX9,DX10 dll's installed aka Direct X June 2010.  Windows 8.1 has directx 11.1

You have to enable Legacy Direct play and Direct X June 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260183

You download the file and extract to a FOLDER not desktop and run DXsetup.exe as administrator.

DX11 is not as compatible as people may have thought.

You either have an unsupported video card, overheating card or don’t have the latest drivers and or Directx June 2010 installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

With windows 8.x you also have to enable Legacy Direct Show and DOTNET 2.0 3.5

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features

Turn Windows Features on or Off

You need to do this while you are online because it will say it cant find the software.  You then tell it to get the Legacy components online from windows update.  It will take a while.

36 Posts

January 10th, 2019 17:00

All updates that I could find had been installed, and even had the Intel updater take a look.

Intel, Dell, and everything I could find said the machine was up to date.

I know the Kworld stick isn't made or supported by Dell.  I got it to work once without the directX , this wasn't on the Intel GPU, it was using the GT 730.

Thank you for posting all of the steps, I doubt I'm the only one with that problem.

Ron, speedstep, thanks for the help but I tried to do a factory restore instead of the refresh and although that seemed to fix everything, it didn't.

Windows acted just like a new install and now loads, seems to be working fine and I seem to be able to do just about anything until a reboot, then the system hangs right after the "starting windows" and little loading bar disappears. ePSA finds nothing wrong with "All tests passed." and Validation : 67439

Still hunting for a fix but now for a different problem  :(

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2019 10:00

Are you saying you can't get to the desktop at all now?

Reboot and immediately press F8. Select option to boot in Safe Mode. If it boots to the "Safe Mode" desktop, something that loads during a normal boot is causing the problem.

Run msconfig from Start>Run and on its Startup tab, disable a few things that are set to load at boot, and then reboot normally. See if you can narrow down the culprit by disabling different things on that tab and then reinstall that app.

NOTE: Before you disable any anti-malware apps in msconfig, make sure the PC can't connect to the internet so you won't get hit with malware, eg disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off your WiFi router...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2019 12:00

Reboot and immediately press F12. Run all the diagnostics from there, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error message(s), if any...

36 Posts

I've run all of the tests multiple times and no problems were ever found but I did run the tests from the "My Dell" program and everything passed but it did say both memory sticks were "Not in specification" under "Memory type" and "(2133 MHz)" 

PC is factory stock except for a replaced dvd drive. 

36 Posts

Thanks Ron,

I've done factory restore a few times now and the first boot after that gets me into windows 7 and everything seems to run fine until a reboot then it hangs after the windows start bar loads.

Safe mode with command hangs after classpnp.sys says "loaded" and regular safe mode hangs as does last known good configuration. 

Doing another factory reset as I type.  This is using a thumb drive with Dell backup and recovery on it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2019 16:00

How much RAM in this system, and how many modules? What DIMM slots are they in?

Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec.

Remove all RAM modules. Now reinstall one of them in DIMM1 (second slot from CPU).

Reinstall battery, reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected, and re-run the diagnostics from My Dell, and check to see if USB correctly is working now.

Then swap the other RAM module into DIMM1 and see what happens when you run the diagnostics and check USB again.

BTW: Look in Device Manager under USB. Do you see one "Enhanced Host Controller" entry? And is there any "unknown" device listed under USB or elsewhere in Device Manager?

36 Posts

January 11th, 2019 19:00

4Gb in #1 and 4Gb in #2

I'm  testing with one stick after killing the power etc. but it will take a while to test it all in My Dell since that runs in windows and I can only boot to windows after a reinstall. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2019 11:00

is that slot #1 and #2 couniting from the CPU? Those would actually be DIMM3 and DIMM1, counting from the CPU, which is exactly where you want them to be.

36 Posts

January 12th, 2019 12:00

You said:

"Remove all RAM modules. Now reinstall one of them in DIMM1 (second slot from CPU).

Reinstall battery, reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected, and re-run the diagnostics from My Dell, and check to see if USB correctly is working now."

I've done that with one of the sticks but it takes a while to do that since I need to reinstall the factory image each time, because the system can never reboot.

The one stick I've tested passed th My Dell test but still gave the "Not in specification" verbiage.

A correct functioning usb is just about the furthest thing from my mind right now. 

Thanks for sticking with this Ron.

36 Posts

January 12th, 2019 13:00

Forgot: 

My sticks were in slot 1 and 2 as marked on the board, from the factory. 

Counting from the cpu, they were in slots 2 and 4.

I'm testing the single sticks in marked slot 1, or #2 if counting from the CPU.   Hope that answers your question. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2019 18:00

Starting to wonder if the problem is the Win 7 OS image you're using. Are you using a Dell Win 7 DVD and does it include SP1? Have you tried reformatting the HDD before starting the clean installation?

Are you installing all the drivers after the clean install, before rebooting the first time?

If the PC has a Microsoft Product Key sticker on it, you can use any Win 7+SP1 disk (borrow one from somebody?) as long as it's the same version of Win 7 that you had, eg Home or Pro. You can use your Product Key to activate it after the installation is completed.

36 Posts

January 12th, 2019 20:00

I think something is left somewhere but I haven't figured that out yet.

The time before last I got into windows I did a sfc /scannow and windows fixed a lot of files but still froze on reboot so the last time I got in I ran sfc /scannow twice and it had things it said it couldn't fix after the second scan.

I have a restore on a hard drive from a day or two after the pc was delivered and another on a thumbdrive I did a few weeks ago when I started having problems installing the Kworld stick.  I've installed both and the pc still locks up after a reboot.  I haven't wanted to do a clean install yet because I know that will wipe out the recovery partition and I'm not yet sure if I need that.

The pc came with windows 7 pro installed but the disc it came with was 10 pro.

I'm trying to create a usb with Dell recovery and restore but the laptop is having problems with dell.com

No Events found!