Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

May 24th, 2021 23:00

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT OpenGL supported?

I just bought my XPS 8940 a few weeks ago, and I’m using it, or I should say trying to use it for photography. But Photoshop needs to run a OpenGL 3.3 or higher but I am unable to update the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT past 1.1. I even paid for the software tech to look at it and he ended up disappearing after an hour and a half. Doesn’t this graphics card support OpenGL? If not, I’m totally confused, because I thought I bought the latest and almost greatest PC. Does anyone have any suggestions? Besides getting another graphics card?

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 25th, 2021 12:00

From what I see, the RX 5700 XT card can support OpenGL 4.6.

How are you trying to update? Do you get an error message or..?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2021 10:00

I have no idea what AMD may have told you, aside from possibly updating the AMD video drivers, so I can't offer any alternatives.

If it is just updating the drivers and/or changing some software settings, you can manually set a System Restore point first so you can quickly revert if something goes wrong.

Or, image your entire boot drive using Macrium Reflect (free) or similar software and save it on an external USB drive, as another way to revert quickly and also make a backup of all your personal files at the same time.

May 30th, 2021 10:00

Yes, I updated but the GPU-Z tells me it still only has OpenGL 1.1 and when I open Luminar AI it tells me I have to have OpenGL 3.3 or higher. A representative from AMD got back to me with a long procedure that I don't feel comfortable doing, I know PCs and the know-how to change hard drives and graphics cards but I'm not that far advanced. 

Any other procedure I can try would be helpful,

Thanks

1 Message

December 14th, 2021 20:00

Go to settings, device manager, display adapters and if you have two graphics cards like I do, disable the AMD Radeon 5700XT.  We are throwing out money by not using this card, but Photoshop and Luminar work fine without it.  This is a work around.  I hope something better will happen because updating the driver doesn't help.

No Events found!