Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

4 Posts

January 5th, 2019 16:00

ConeZilla can't see the OS (C:) drive

I'm trying to create a backup image of the OS ( C: ) drive on my XPS 8930. 

It has a 500GB SSD for drive C: and two 4TB spinning drives for data. 

There are also 4 USB drives plugged in for various data backup. 

Using CloneZilla, booted up on a USB key, the program can see all the drives but the OS drive C:... the one drive I want to get an image of.

Any suggestions? Is there a setting missing (On the startup or in CloneZilla) to make drive C visible? 

Is there a more comparable program to use with an XPS 8930?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 5th, 2019 16:00

I am not familiar with that piece of software. Personally I prefer Macrium Reflect Free. Very user friendly and a nice graphical interface. Make sure you download the free version. The download link is near the bottom of the page.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 5th, 2019 20:00

Clonezilla doesnt have drivers for 8th and 9th gen intel chipsets.

Cloning is not supported by microsot or by Dell.

Never has been.

Clonezilla is based on Linux.

9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors use an LGA1151 socket. However, they require motherboards based on Intel® 300 Series Chipset. 7th 8th 9th series will all fail. Most must disable UEFI and use Legacy boot for all our imaging via clonezilla AFTER getting the chipset recognized.

Clonezilla Epic FailClonezilla Epic Fail

These processors aren't backward compatible with motherboards based on Intel® 200 Series Chipset and Intel® 100 Series Chipset.

Similarly, 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors and 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors aren't compatible with the Intel® 300 Series Chipset motherboards.

Desktop 9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors only support DDR4 memory.

January 5th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for the in depth reply. It looks like I’m wasting my time trying to get CloneZilla to work in this instance. I appreciate you telling me about it.  

Do you know of a good, cheap software for imaging the OS drive on the XPS 8930?

I already have a good working data backup solution for under $25.00CAN so I’m only looking to image the OS drive for disaster recovery. I’m looking for a non cloud based, bare metal recovery solution.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 6th, 2019 04:00

What is wrong with JOcean's recommendation of Macrium Reflect Free Edition?

January 6th, 2019 05:00

Not familiar with it, but will give it a try on your second recommendation. I’ve never used a disk imager program that didn’t require booting to a stand alone OS. Just having a quick look at a couple reviews and it looks very promising. Will download it when back at my PC. Thanks to all for the information and recommendations. T

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 6th, 2019 12:00

With Macrium Reflect Free Edition you can create a stand alone OS, it is called Rescue Media under Other Tasks. Rescue Media is used to restore an image if you primary OS is down. If you wish I believe you can also backup from Rescue Media.

January 6th, 2019 13:00

Thanks, I’ve downloaded Reflect, Completed a recovery image of OS drive C: and now creating a Rescue Boot USB key. Thanks to all for your assistance.
No Events found!