Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2022 05:00

XPS 8940, Amazon different from Dell?

I ordered XPS 8940 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09D7JH9ZC/ , there is no back photo. I went to Dell Official website and check XPS 8940 back photo (attached), before placing the order. Here is Dell official page: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktops/new-desktop/spd/xps-8940-desktop 

Now I have received my XPS 8940, which is different from the photo posted on Dell Official website. My PC has much fewer ports(see attached), how many monitors can my PC connect to? Why my XPS 8940 is different from the photo posted on Dell website.

Thanks.

My XPS 8940My XPS 8940From Dell Official WebpageFrom Dell Official Webpage

85 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 15:00

It does not matter. This PC(above Amazon link) can only be connected to two monitors. I will need two both ports anyway.  It has only two ports: HDMI and DP, both of my old monitors have VGA only. I will need two adapters (VGA to HDMI, VGA to DP) for connection, now I have only VGA to DP, and still waiting for VGA to HDMI.

I already updated BIOS, and I did not know I should not do so, but it is too late.

85 Posts

One of my posts -- "I will need two adapters (VGA to HDMI, VGA to DP) for connection, now I have only VGA to DP, and still waiting for VGA to HDMI."
I am also using these same two monitors for Dell Precision T3500. They work fine.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

@VAer You wrote that you are using DisplayPort but I don't see how that is possible since the Dell E2414H does not have DisplayPort, only, VGA and DVI. You should use the DVI cable that comes with the monitor and a DVI to HDMI adapter. Your VGA to HDMI may not work useless it is an active adapter because VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. 

85 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 17:00

Already submitted for return on Amazon site. I am tired of this PC, this is first time returning a new PC.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2022 17:00

@VAer You may have to update your Intel graphics driver and also install the Intel Graphics Command Center app. Here is a link about the app: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055840/graphics.html

85 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 18:00

Thanks for educating. Curious: why some monitors (at least the last one I bought online) provides cable (VGA to VGA)? The good thing is laptop docking station has VGA port, and it works. Now I am replacing the cable to DVI-HDMI.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2022 18:00

@VAer Lots of the newer monitor models no longer have VGA ports or DVi ports. 

85 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 19:00

Take attached photo for example: There are two ports(DP + HDMI) in Integrated Graphic and four ports(3 DP + HDMI) in Discrete Graphic, so it supports up to 6 monitors, correct?

What is the difference? If I have only two monitors, which ports are better? Should they both go with ports in Integrated Graphic? Or it does not matter (any two from those six ports)?

Thanks.

Dell XPS 8940 online.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2022 20:00

It matters when you do gaming.  Dell validated discrete gpu for 8940 are designed for gaming. If not gaming, it does not matter too much if you connect to integrated DP vs discrete DP on 4k monitor at 60Hz.
If your 4k monitor has 120+hz, then the discrete gpu may provide more smooth frame to frame transition than the max 60 hz supported by iGPU.  But if your desktop scene does not need to update at such a high frame rate, you would not notice a difference.

Re: hdmi vs DP on integrated gpu.
If you have 10th Gen cpu (UHD630), the integrated DP has better 4k spec than integrated hdmi.  If you have 11th Gen cpu (UHD750), then the integrated hdmi is good for 4k @60 Hz.

compare the lowest spec of dGPU gt1030 w iGPU UHD630, gt1030 is 200% faster than UHD630.  But if you do not game, both support 4k @60 hz.

(the high end RTX 3070 is 3000% faster than UHD630)

UHD630 

UHD750 

8940 supports multi display meaning you can probably connect multiple monitors to iGPU and dGPU ports to get video signal from both ports.

System setup options—Video menu

VIDEO
  Multi-Display Enable or disable multiple displays.
  Primary Display Set or change the primary display.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 23rd, 2022 21:00

@VAer wrote:

Thanks for educating. Curious: why some monitors (at least the last one I bought online) provides cable (VGA to VGA)?

Video technology advances. 15-pin VGA was introduced in the late 1980's.

Desktop Computers: VGA, then DVI, now DisplayPort. HDMI if you must.

- VGA is analog. DVI is digital. DVI is just HDMI-v1.3 without audio.

Home Theater: Component then, now HDMI-1.3/1.4 (1080p), or HDMI-2.1 (4K)

(Computer) DP-to-DVI 

(Computer) DP-to-VGA

Both of the above video-adapters are considered "Passive" and they works just fine. Image looks pretty.

Tested both with same Dell monitor (on different inputs) and I could not really tell a difference in image quality. Cable-Matters have been around for a long time.

85 Posts

January 24th, 2022 04:00

Thank you. 

How to tell (from website spec) if it has Discrete Graphics? Take attached screenshot for example, I think first one has only Integrated Graphic (Intel HD Graphics), second one has Discrete Graphics. Is it from the keyword "NVIDIA GeForce"? What is NVIDIA GeForce?

Sorry that I don't really know how to read some specs. By default, most CPU comes with Integrated Graphic? Even though second one does not have keyword "HD Graphics", it actually is included?

Product comparison.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 24th, 2022 04:00

If spec says nvidia geforce (or AMD Radeon), it means discrete gpu is included.

if spec says hd graphics only, it means only integrated gpu is included which is a part of cpu.

nvidia geforce is a class of discrete video card made designed for gaming.

most (but not all) cpu have integrated gpu.  for the few cpu that don’t have iGPU, Dell will definitely include discrete gpu in the pc.

85 Posts

January 24th, 2022 05:00

Thanks.

85 Posts

January 24th, 2022 08:00

For similar (very close, assuming same) spec, Laptop is more expensive than desktop. Also, laptop is not able to easily upgraded.

But if not considering the price difference, for similar spec of Desktop and Laptop, is laptop performance as good as desktop (when connecting to multiple monitors)?

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 25th, 2022 07:00

Re: is laptop performance as good as desktop (when connecting to multiple monitors)

typical laptop without docking station has only one external video port limiting display to only one monitor plus the native LCD display of laptop.  If there is a docking station connected to laptop then it may support multiple monitors.  Not all laptop makers provide docking stations aka replicator.  Lenovo thinkpad often has docking stations.

No Events found!