Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 1st, 2018 03:00

If I had to replace an SSD, would I have to re-install all the programs on the HDD?

On a brand new computer, I'm deciding whether to get an SSD to install Windows and frequently used programs there.  I have a lot of programs so some would be installed on the SSD and some on the HDD.  If the SSD ever fails and I have to replace it, I understand I'd have to re-install all the programs (including Windows) that was on that SSD.  But would I have to re-install all the programs on the HDD as well?  These programs on the HDD would have been installed while Windows was on the SSD.  So if Windows is re-installed on a new SSD, would I have to re-install all the programs on the HDD as well?   

39 Posts

February 6th, 2018 17:00

@mpo wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the lifespan of an SSD. My oldest SSD is a Kingston HyperX 240 GB drive.

Checking the drive status, it has 16800+ GB host reads and writes, and 28500 power-on hours. That's over 3.25 years of use. 

It shows that that 98% of the life is left.

MPO, what program are you using to test the drive status and show its percentage of life left?  Also, did you install your internet browser onto the SSD?  If yes, are you concerned about the constant writes to the temporary internet files folder (it will be written to for every web page you visit) or does that not make much of a difference?

(I'm realizing that if I use Internet Explorer for web browsing, I might not have a choice and it has to be installed onto the SSD).

39 Posts

February 8th, 2018 00:00

I just wanted to update the thread.  Despite my reservations, I went ahead and bought an SSD.  I went with the Plextor M8Pe 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (without head sink).  It was recommended by Tom's Hardware and they reviewed it as having long endurance (they rated the Samsung 960 Evo as having low endurance).  Anyway, the info here has been helpful.  I will install Macrium Reflect and make monthly backups of the SSD.  If there are any recommendations for disk monitoring software, please post (preferably one that keeps track of how much life the SSD has remaining).  

398 Posts

February 9th, 2018 20:00

I use CrystalDiskInfo to monitor my drives. It shows the descriptive information about the drive(s) in my system, it has the temperature, percent life left for SSDs, and the raw SMART data.

WinDirStat is also a useful utility for figuring out what is taking up space on your drives.

Browsers cache to the SSD. I have absolutely no concern having the browser cache to the SSD

Majority of my data goes to a larger HDD, mainly because of storage constraints. I have a large Steam library. Most games or software are saved to the HDD. A few games are loaded to the SSD if there is an obvious benefit to saving the data there. 

I have some custom GIS software that requires the data reside on the C drive. I have no problem letting it chew through data on the SSD if it means I cut 20 percent off of the processing time. 

No Events found!