Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 9th, 2018 04:00

Is the power button of the Dell XPS 8930 powered by the power fed to the optical drive?

I received my Dell XPS 8930 and I wanted to upgrade the power supply.  As I was installing the new power supply, I realized it didn't have the cable to fit into the slim optical drive.  So I skipped that part and planned to order that particular cable later.  I planned to just live without an optical drive until I get the necessary cable.  I believe I installed everything in the new power supply correctly but the computer did not turn on.  When I installed the original Dell power supply, the computer did power on.  It seems that the only difference is that the optical drive was powered with the Dell power supply but it wasn't powered with my new power supply (since I didn't have the necessary cable).  Is it possible that the power button of the Dell XPS 8930 is somehow related to the power of the optical drive?  In other words, if the optical drive isn't getting power, would that prevent the computer from starting up?  Those two are located close to each other. 

Or is my new power supply just defective?  If anyone could give it a try and disconnect the power to your optical drive and see if the computer turns on, please post your result.  It would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 9th, 2018 04:00

Power Supplies are not a single spec of 12v and a single rail and single spec of WATTS.

Dell Power Supplies have 150W or more on the 3.3v/5v rails combined and 25A or more Rating for each rail.

5VSB is 4 AMPS not 3 or 2.

225W on the 3.3v  5v Rails Combined225W on the 3.3v 5v Rails Combined

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 9th, 2018 05:00

Outlier007,

It is possible that your new power supply is defective. The power button is connected to the motherboard which sends a signal to the power supply to turn on; the optical drive has nothing to do with it. You can test the power supply outside the computer by shorting out pins 15 and 16 on the 24-pin motherboard power connector with a small piece of wire. The whole procedure is here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158. 

It is also possible that your new power supply is somehow incompatible with your computer. It may be better to replace your power supply with one that someone else has gotten to work like here: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/XPS-8930-Thoughts-and-minor-mods-upgrades/td-p/5172418/page/3

140 Posts

February 9th, 2018 16:00

No, the power button is not power by the power fed to the optical drive.  I ran into the same issue (not having the right cable for the optical drive) when I swapped out my power supply.  My PC started up just fine and the button worked without it.  When the cable/adapter arrived, I installed it and then my optical drive worked.  I rarely use an optical drive anymore, so it was no big deal not having it work for a few days.

Here is the optical drive cable I bought:  Micro SATA Cables 6 Pin Slimline SATA 15 Pin SATA Power Cable.  It was $5.75 on Amazon and it worked perfectly.

39 Posts

February 9th, 2018 17:00

I got the same model you mentioned in your other thread, the Corsair RM 750i but the computer wouldn’t start up. So that’s two in a row that didn’t work. I’m not sure if it’s bad luck or if I’m missing something. I’m in the process of returning it and getting the exact one you got, the 650i. Is there anything that needs to be configured or set up before a power supply is installed? Is there a maximum power supply the Dell XPS 8930 will accept?

140 Posts

February 9th, 2018 18:00

Wow - I'm sorry to hear that.  Mine took just a few minutes to install and started right up.  I don't thing that a 650 will work and better than a 750.  Here are some things that I would recommend checking when you attempt it again:

• Don't install any more cables than you actually need.
  • Ensure that the two cables that connect to the motherboard are tightly locked into place and fully connected (there is the large connector and the smaller CPU connector.
  • Remember to turn the switch on the back of the power supply to the On position - seems kind of simple, but I know someone who hadn't noticed that it had one.
  • Ensure that all of the cables are properly routed so that they don't get crimped when you close the swing out power supply holder.

Of course do all of this with the power connected and you properly grounded.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need to see a photo.

39 Posts

February 10th, 2018 02:00

It's all good now.  I ended up getting the Cooler Master V750.  It worked fine on startup.  One thing I noticed about the Cooler Master V750 is that its length is about a quarter to a third shorter than the Corsair RM 750i.  And that gives it extra space for where to put excess cable length and reduce clutter in the motherboard.  They talk about this shorter length in their product description and they also talk about how they have a very quiet fan.  The fan might be quiet but I've had a Dell XPS 8300 and XPS 8700 and this XPS 8930 is by far the loudest (when in load).  I think I can live with it but I thought the tech these days would make computers more silent, not more noisy.  Where is this noise coming from?

Thanks a lot about the info about the cable for the slim Blu-ray drive.  For someone like me that doesn't have a lot of experience in building computers, that was hard to find (I doubt Dell's customer support know about it).  Because of your tip, I cancelled my order of another cable I thought would have worked, the Syba SATA to Mini SATA Cable with Molex Power Adapter.  Even if it does work, who wants molex?  So I purchased the one you recommended instead.   

No Events found!