Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2018 03:00

Microsoft Installation ID and safe mode

Hi

In an effort to obtain the ID (via CMD), the system reported that the service could not be started in safe mode. I have had a major problem and am still coping with it. I now.require the ID to have Office 2010 activated on the phone. I am totally unware that my system should currently be running in safe mode. Truth is that during the last couple of days I had used this mode several times, but have always gone back to normal mode. How can I check whether my system is indeed in safe mode? And is there an alternate way to obtain the ID?

XPS 8100 Win7 Office 2010

Best Regards

LilBill

42 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 06:00

Ron, The Installation ID is required when a MS product is to be (re-)activated via the phone. If the number you dial on your phone, when requested, is not correct, you're in bad luck.

My product key for MS Office corresponds to the one shown by Belarc (in parenthesis). In contrast, the Belarc variety for Windows 7 is much different from the one shown on the label affixed to my machine.

I prefer to move by little steps. So I decided on restarting the system to do F8 and choose the last known good configuration. And this worked fine. My system now seems to be back to normal, i. e. the problems have been solved.

I am very grateful to you and speedstep for your inspiring support.

Back to the "Installations-ID" issue. One of the first things I checked was whether the system was now running in normal mode (yes) and whether the relevant command would make the much sought after code appear (again yes).The code has some 54 digits.

LilBill

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You aren't going to get An Office 2010 product key or ID here.

Office 2010 will reach its end of support on October 13, 2020. If you haven't already begun to upgrade your Office 2010 environment, it is recommended you upgrade.  All of that is Microsoft not Dell.

Office 2010 and Higher encrypt the Key so you won't be getting that via CMD ever. Office 2010 and up do not store their product keys in the registry you cannot scan VIA CMD script for them.

Using a CMD script will only show the last five digits of the product key.

Malware, Corruption,  incompatible driver, etc.

Activation may not be necessary if you can get back to normal vs safe mode.

As of May 1, 2013 there will no longer be an MPI card for Office 2010. If you purchase a new system after that date, you will be receiving an MPI card for Office 2013. This card is NOT backward-compatible with Office 2010 and only works for Office 2013.

People Troll all the time for New Windows and Office Keys.

There are no keys for Windows or Office forthcoming EVER.  Dell ships the keys with the system.

In the case of most Office Deployments from 2010 and up THERE IS NO MEDIA only a key and a way to download reinstall via Microsoft.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=403915

The windows key is on the COA sticker and the Office Key is on the MPI Card.

office_2010_MPI

42 Posts

Hi

In an effort to obtain the ID (via CMD), the system reported that the service could not be started in safe mode. I have had a major problem and am still coping with it. I now.require the ID to have Office 2010 activated on the phone. I am totally unware that my system should currently be running in safe mode. Truth is that during the last couple of days I had used this mode several times, but have always gone back to normal mode. How can I check whether my system is indeed in safe mode? And is there an alternate way to obtain the ID?

XPS 8100 Win7 Office 2010

Best Regards

LilBill

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You aren't going to get An Office 2010 product key or ID here.  Office 2010 and Higher encrypt the Key so you won't be getting that via CMD ever. Office 2010 and up do not store their product keys in the registry you cannot scan VIA CMD script for them.

Using a CMD script will only show the last five digits of the product key.

Office 2010 will reach its end of support on October 13, 2020. If you haven't already begun to upgrade your Office 2010 environment, it is recommended you upgrade.  All of that is Microsoft not Dell.

Malware, Corruption,  incompatible driver, etc.

Activation may not be necessary if you can get back to normal vs safe mode.

As of May 1, 2013 there will no longer be an MPI card for Office 2010. If you purchase a new system after that date, you will be receiving an MPI card for Office 2013. This card is NOT backward-compatible with Office 2010 and only works for Office 2013.

People Troll all the time for New Windows and Office Keys.

There are no keys for Windows or Office forthcoming EVER.  Dell ships the keys with the system.

In the case of most Office Deployments from 2010 and up THERE IS NO MEDIA only a key and a way to download reinstall via Microsoft.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=403915

The windows key is on the COA sticker and the Office Key is on the MPI Card.

office_2010_MPI

42 Posts

February 20th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your input, Speedstep.The situation may be different in your place from the one where I live. I own the product key for Office 2010, as provided by DELL at the time of purchase. I downloaded it very recently from a Microsoft site. Unfortunately the 64-bit version rather than the 32-bit one, by mistake. This created additional problems rather than to resolve them. In this particular case, I had to make use of the product key to obtain the software online. As regards the installation ID, this is indeed available via CMD. I checked this on my wife's laptop this morning. It's a rather long row of figures, not just part of it. In order to get help from Microsoft with a view to obtaining release of the software via a phonecall this ID is required, as outlined by Microsoft.

You sure are correct, the Windows key is on the COA sticker, whereas the Office key is on a MPI card.

It is absolutely certain that no troll has been involved iat any time in this particular case.The problems may well have originated from this writer's activities.

I'm certainly going to run a malware scanner to be on the safe(r) side.

I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Beste regards

LilBill

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 20th, 2018 09:00

There is no difference whatsoever between "64-bit or 32-bit " Keys for windows or Office.  Whatever the "installation ID" is is irellivant as this is NOT a COA or MPI Key and will not allow download of the reinstall media.

If you don’t have a disc, you can download and install Office with your product key.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Choose-between-the-64-bit-or-32-bit-version-of-Office-2dee7807-8f95-4d0c-b5fe-6c6f49b8d261#32or64Bit=2010

If you have a key the Microsoft site will allow download of the appropriate version.

2010 was the start of a KEY on a card rather than Actual in your hand DVD.

All Office is that way now.  Versions lower than 2010 are no longer supported and you can no longer get media.

What you need to know before installing 64-bit Office:

42 Posts

February 21st, 2018 02:00

Regarding differences between 64-bit and 32-bit of Office 2010 you are basically correct. There is an option on the Microsoft site which leaves it to you to choose. After I had tried to install the 64-bit version, a long message came up. It pointed out to the potential of incompatibilities with 32-bit programs on the PC. (My OS is Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.) I didn't succeed installing the 32-bit Office version either. It said the setup could not be completed successfully. So you can see download with the product key was exactly what I had done. I now feel the system is corrupted somewhere. Thank you for your specific advice and the links, all very welcome indeed. Though, prior to do any major work, I have to find a solution for the safe mode issue. I will report again regarding Microsoft ID, when I am back to normal mode.

LilBill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 21st, 2018 13:00

See if Belarc Advisor (free) can retrieve the MS Office key you need.

When you boot in Sate Mode, Windows typically shows a desktop that looks different than your "normal" desktop. The background may be a different color (black on my Win 7 system) and icons may be bigger and/or have lower resolution, and be in different places than you put them. The screen might also say "Safe Mode" in one or more corners of the display too.

42 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 02:00

Thank you, Ron. I have used the Belarc Advisor rather sporadically and run it again immediately. The analysis provides product keys but not the installation key needed. At the bottom Belarc analysis shows a link to "msproductkeys" (letters e and g) which indeed seems to be helpful.Only snag, I can uninstall but not change Outlook 2010! Ok, Belarc recommends to run "Uninstall a program". I'm more than reluctant to follow this as I'm not sure whether my system allows me to do the subsequent steps. On the other hand, I do realize that I will have to uninstall Office anyway as I can no longer properly access and use it for license reasons. In such case, I would prefer to do clean install, though.

From past experience, I'm aware how "safe" desktop looks like. The actual look is "normal", but in some instances (such as when trying to trace the installation ID via CMD) the system reports that service cannot be started in safe mode. From this I gather my system is running in safe mode despite the normal look of my desktop.

LilBill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2018 11:00

@LilBill wrote:

Thank you, Ron. I have used the Belarc Advisor rather sporadically and run it again immediately. The analysis provides product keys but not the installation key needed. At the bottom Belarc analysis shows a link to "msproductkeys" (letters e and g) which indeed seems to be helpful.Only snag, I can uninstall but not change Outlook 2010! Ok, Belarc recommends to run "Uninstall a program". I'm more than reluctant to follow this as I'm not sure whether my system allows me to do the subsequent steps. On the other hand, I do realize that I will have to uninstall Office anyway as I can no longer properly access and use it for license reasons. In such case, I would prefer to do clean install, though.

From past experience, I'm aware how "safe" desktop looks like. The actual look is "normal", but in some instances (such as when trying to trace the installation ID via CMD) the system reports that service cannot be started in safe mode. From this I gather my system is running in safe mode despite the normal look of my desktop.

LilBill

I don't understand... How are you distinguishing "product key" from "installation key". When I run Belarc on my Win 7 PC, it shows both an "OEM" key and my personal product key (in parenthesis) for MS Office, and my personal key has that same footnote marked:

Microsoft Office: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX (Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX)e

You should be able to reinstall using the key that's shown, unless you're trying to install on a non-Dell PC, assuming this was a Dell OEM version of Windows, and not a retail version. Just copy or print the Belarc info first!  I used the key Belarc listed to reinstall Dell's OEM version of MS Office on my Dell PC after I installed a new hard drive.

Just uninstall the software completely, reboot and attempt to reinstall it. If you want to make sure you get a clean uninstall, use the free version of Revo Uninstaller. Launch Revo and it will run the uninstaller built into Office/Outlook and then run additional checks to find anything that got left over. Just follow the instructions on how to choose which leftovers to remove (eg, the ones marked in bold).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 10:00

The sticker on the PC is your personal key for installing Windows, not for Office.

And if you use a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD, it shouldn't even ask for a Windows product key.

Glad it's working again...

42 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 13:00

My wording was different and basically said the same thing. So we are in agreement.

Interesting. Early on I ran the Dell Installation DVD once or twice and found not much more than the Windows PE program.The latter I also have available on another DVD. I will certainly look into this as it might be helpful if I should ever be running into a similar problem again.Thank you for pointing out.

How can I raise the "solved flag"?

LilBill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 15:00

Click the 3 vertical dots at the right end of the line with the user's name in the specific post you want to mark as the solution and select "Accept as solution" from the menu.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 26th, 2018 00:00

To be honest if your Windows Installation is running in "safe mode" and you have your Windows 7 Product Key and Office 2010 Product Key, I would say it's time to backup everything you need to an external hard drive and then perform a clean install Windows. There is no sense in going through the hassle to activate Office in "safe mode" just to keep using your computer in "safe mode" (limited functionality).

Your Windows 7 OEM Product Key will also be compatible with Windows 10 Version 1709 Installation Media.

Your Office 2010 Product Key however will only be compatible with Office 2010.

The fact that you are in "safe mode" makes me suspect the Windows Installation is compromised likely by Malware/Ransomware.

42 Posts

February 26th, 2018 05:00

As reported before, my system is back to normal, fortunately, and safe mode is now a thing of the past. I do have a second internal HDD which, unintentionally, is used by Windows image backup taking up some portion of the space. Also, the latest scan has revealed the presence of malware in some backup files (only!). I'im planning on formating this HDD and backing up the primary HDD there. I'm about to replace an external HDD as well which is malfunctioning. Bottom line: I fully agree with you on the steps to be taken.

It's quite nigh possible that an add-on for my browser installed just recently has caused the system to hang. A friend who also installed that add-on has reported similar problems. I'm yet waiting for input on the final outcome.

Thank you for having taken your time.

LilBill

No Events found!