Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

December 7th, 2021 13:00

No option to disable acceleration on failing sdd via IRST app

Hi,

I have a 6 year old XPS 8900 that is fitted with an sdd that is used to speed up access. Recently, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) app has been reporting a SMART event that my solid state device is at risk of failing. I ran the Dell SupportAssist on the device and it too highlighted issues with the sdd (I did check the hard disk with the operating system but this was ok) so I immediately backed up my data, then sourced an exact replacement for the sdd which I planned to fit.

My problem I have is that according to the IRST instructions for replacing the sdd, I have to first disable acceleration in the app before replacing the failing ssd but in my case there is no option to do so. This is the first time I have accessed the app so do not know if that option was ever available. My hardware and setup according to the IRST app is as follows:

Toshiba DT01ACA200

SATA hard disk

Usage: accelerated disk

Acceleration mode: enhanced

Samsung sdd cm851 m.2 2242 32gb

Type: sata solid state drive

Usage: cache device

The instructions in the help section of the IRST app are to click on the Performance tab to access the Disable Acceleration option but I can only see a section in there on Link Power Management. The  other tabs I can see are Status, Manage, Preferences and Help. The app appears to have been last updated on 21/06/2021 and is release 16.8.3.1004

Does anyone know what the problem could be here? (note that I am a beginner where computers are concerned!) 

Thanks in advance.

No Responses!
No Events found!