Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

October 21st, 2018 17:00

Studio XPS 435 MT, still won't start

I know that there was a similar topic and it was marked as solved. That turned it into read-only. I tried all the options but not of them worked for me. My situation is different.
Before my computer decided to go to the rest, I was able to see a Windows message, "Saving your work and turning off your PC". It happened while I was near PC and not doing anything with it.

Looks like I have 2 issues. CMOS and not starting computer.

When I turn the power on, the computer makes 5 beeps, starts, and turns off in 3-5 seconds.
During these 5 seconds, I see a green light near PCI, blinking orange power button.
Then fans stop, the power button turns off and the only light is on the MB -- an orange small light.  
First, I thought it was a power supply. So, I ordered a new, installed, connected it with the same result.

As suggested, I disconnected everything external (all PCI cards, Video, WiFi, disks, Flash Card slots, DVD).
No use.
Then, I started removing RAM. After the last one was removed, I started hearing 2 beeps (No RAM message) along with 5 beeps (Real Time Clock Failure Replace the CMOS Battery). See here:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln304427/a-reference-guide-to-the-xps-desktop-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en
I replaced the battery without a positive result.
It's a powerful station and I hate giving up on that.

Any ideas?
Thank you

732 Posts

October 21st, 2018 21:00

Like the other thread you mentioned said; that computer is 9 or 10 years old and has seen it's day. You would be surprised what a new one with "minimal power" can do. I wouldn't throw any parts at it.

590 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 05:00

Unless you need something more, older quad-core HEDT X58 systems like a Dell Studio XPS 435MT (Mini Tower) are sufficient for an everyday machine, especially if it's Windows OS drive has been upgraded to a SSD.

I'd exhaust options on fixing it first, but if it's likely the motherboard I'd probably buy a new machine.

Any ideas on what initiated the "Saving ... work..." Windows message?  Is the shutdown message normal?  

• Were you recently using the PC and left it on?  Or, was it shutdown normally, but was taking a long time?
  • Was the message related to PC going to Sleep or Hibernating - is it set up to do this after a while?
  • Do you think the message was Windows Update related?  Was a Windows Update told to postpone and finish later, etc.? 

There are several things I can think of that would cause startup to shutdown after a few seconds:

• Power issue detected
    • PSU (power supply) or PSU cabling or loose connections to motherboard
    • CMOS coin battery
    • Motherboard itself - VRM (voltage regulator module) and/or power related sensors
  • Temperature issue detected
    • CPU
    • Motherboard components
    • GPU?
  • Somethings wrong with BIOS / CMOS settings
  • Somethings wrong with attached components/devices, including the GPU

Since you've replaced PSU which would also require reseating the PSU cable, neither is probably the issue.  What PSU model# did you buy - same unit or one with higher wattage?  CMOS coin battery probably isn't issue as well, assuming new one is good and oriented/seated as it should be.

To make sure CMOS is cleared and not corrupted:  I'd try unplugging PC, remove CMOS coin battery, press the power button (to drain any residual charge), maybe wait several hours (again, to drain any residual charge) and then put the battery back in and see what happens.

Try booting without the GPU to see if behavior is different (not shutting down after a few seconds) and whether it might be the issue.

For temperature issues, I'd consider re-pasting CPU, and maybe other components with detachable heat sinks.  If paste has dried and cracked components might not have sufficient heat flow to heat sink and rapidly overheat.  Could also check for accumulated dust (especially around intakes and between heat sink fins) and fan(s) not working, although less likely this is the issue.

If none of the above works or indicates a problem with a component, it's likely an issue with the motherboard.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 05:00

Slyu0,

The motherboard sounds like it needs to be replaced. If you replaced the cmos battery and the problem still remains its a motherboard issue.

10 Posts

March 28th, 2019 00:00

2 beeps is a ram issue. Your board register that correctly.

So 5 beeps is your board. Do you have a spare computer around that works? Try checking your parts (such as the gpu card) on the spare computer. If it works, it's good. take out the ram and do the same till you tested all the parts.

Make sure when you do this that the power is completely off and you're grounded to the case or with a wrist ground strap. Small static zaps and arcs can really hurt a computer.

No Events found!