Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

14 Posts

May 30th, 2018 07:00

Studio XPS 435T/9000, upgrade capabilities beyond design

Hello All,

I have a legacy Studio XPS 435T/9000 computer that kicks serious ! Not to mention the case is way cool, but this thing just keeps going and going. If you have one, here are some tips on how to make it completely BOSS!

First off, you don't have to buy that Extreme Edition CPU to get those numbers. That's right! This beast takes Xeon chips as well. Not to mention, the Xeon chips unleash MORE RAM! I upgraded my machine to the X5690 and it completely screams! Added a PCIe x4 M.2 SSD (500GB), a 1050 ti GPU, 1.5TB HHD in RAID 0, a BluRay quad and an EVGA 650w Bronze PSU. Talk about future proof, this thing rules in gaming and heavy processing. I'll upgrade the MoBo before anything else to a 2011v3 eventually. RAM prices are so high right now that it's not worth it. 

Tell me a story how you BOSSed your XPS.

1 Message

January 19th, 2019 10:00

Hi,I upgraded my graphix card and power supply, I am also considering upgrading the cpu to a xeon x5690 and i am wondering what are the step that needs to be done for this upgrading the bios and risk that come with it. also how much ram total can you put in the machine and what kind ddr3 or ddr4.

Thank for letting me know.

14 Posts

January 21st, 2019 22:00

The Xeon x5690 allows up to 288GB of 1333Mhz ECC DDR3 ram. I was able to get 192GB working just fine. I recommend 48GB 1333Mhz ECC DDR3 RAM. It costs a lot less and is completely modern. I'm also running an EVGA 650w PSU. So, there's plenty of juice to boot. The 6.4GT/s bus is best achieved through a SSD. I recommend a PCIe x8 adapter to get the SATA III speeds. Although, the previous posts are genius in recommending the NVMe with the legacy boot capability. Nothing is faster than NVMe. Good luck!

April 8th, 2019 11:00

Well I started by upgrading the CUP to a Xeon W3690...  I later ran into a bad BIOS flash which  so I ended up finding a 9100 motherboard. Once that came I found out Dell rotated the CPU slot on that board so it wouldn't fit. So I cut the case to make it fit. 

The 9100 board is pretty much same but with USB 3.0 

Later I would run into weird quarks with memory. It would never see the full capacity of what was installed. & even tried to go RAID 0.with SSD drives. The onboard RAID controller has bad latency which is probably due to bottlenecking .

Now currently....  

I went and got the Asus Sabertooth x58 board & moved the parts to a new case. The Dell PSU won't power the Asus Board well so you will need a better PSU.

I tried it out first & it struggled to start and when it did only saw 8gb of memory (12 total) but putting in the better PSU boom all 12 seen and running triple channel. 

This made me think though that possibly the Dell system always needed a better PSU from the start.  I will test how the RAID 0 runs later to see if the latency still exists with this board.  Only thing I noticed with the board is the MCH temp seems high to me. Just a thought...   I may try to put a fan on it idk...

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 17:00

DO NOT USE THE XEON WITH THE "W" MONIKER. It will not work. ONLY the "X" series 1356 will work. Also, if you wish to increase the RAM, one must get UDIMM ECC RAM. The RAM controller is on the CPU, not the X58 chipset. YES! One should upgrade the PSU on this computer if they no nothing else. The original PSU is so bad it is not compatible with any UPS. I had mine replaced several times before DELL just got me an EVGA PSU. Now, I use an EVGA 650 Bronze. With 3 HDDs running RAID 0, this machine uses some juice.

GOOD POST! KEEP 'em COMING!

1 Message

February 23rd, 2020 11:00

Not working with my XPS 9000 with A16 BOIS and XPS 9100 with A4 BIOS.
And XEON X5687 CPUs, for both...
No ECC rams are working.
Beeping sound without any screen pop...
No good, sorry...

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

February 24th, 2020 09:00

Can you describe the exact model number of 192 GB ECC RAM you have?

1 Message

April 22nd, 2020 11:00

Which PSU did you use?

1 Message

June 3rd, 2020 20:00

@MasterX767 What BIOS did you use that worked with the X5690?

January 6th, 2021 22:00

I was looking for the same 192GB RAM configuration.

I just like to share my findings:

• From another user(SJusa), XPS does not work with ECC RAM
  • From another user(Techgee), running a system with 48GB (which I could assume 6 x 8GB)
    - DELL's 12GB Max is not correct
    - Crucial's page makes sense "Standard memory: 3GB to 8GB removable"
  • From another user(d-luxx) tried 1x16GB Reg-ECC and it did not work
    Based on his post, he said "The x58 can handle unbuffered non-registered ecc,
    but in my case I was looking for 16GB sticks (to get 48GB)...
    That size of memory in the ranks and speed per stick unbuffered (non reg)
    probably does not exist."
    - I found this RAM(16 GB Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Non-Registered)
      I really want to try - if it works(each slot could handle) it could be up to 96GB(6 x 16GB)
      The issues are no brand, overseas shipping, return shipping cost...

I think his(MasterX767) 192GB RAM system sounds like Precision T7500 system/mainboard,
NOT Studio XPS 9000/9100. Based on my research, T7500 mainboard uses intel 5520 chipset.
Its spec sheet clearly mentioned about 192GB RAM(w/additional 2nd processor riser card)
you could also check how this 2nd processor riser card works from the service manual(page 18,86-94).

No Events found!