Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

33 Posts

March 27th, 2019 00:00

Studio XPS 9100, latency

When I run a single SSD in AHCI mode it runs fine but if I try to go RAID 0 with 2 SSD's I get a lot of system latency. I used DPS latency checker. I disabled a lot of services. A clean boot I still get the same latency. Any ideas? (It's the board huh?)

March 30th, 2019 07:00

Hmmm well the drives are PNY 240gb Data III.

• Maximum Data Transfer Rate
    500 megabytes per second
  • Maximum Read Speed
    535 megabytes per second
  • Maximum Write Speed
    500 megabytes per second

So a controller card could work. Which version PCIe does the board have? 1 or 2.0

March 30th, 2019 08:00

Hmmm okay.... maybe a card may be okay then...   dang decisions....

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 30th, 2019 08:00

If you want a different motherboard the also go with a new case.  Most Dell cases the rear motherboard I/O panel is part of the case not an insert like standard ATX.  Also the front panel connections are Dell proprietary and undocumented.  

March 30th, 2019 09:00

Yeah I know.  This board is in a case for the 9000. I had to cut the case to get the board to fit cause they rotated the CPU socket & I put in a different fan solution. 

I already have a case that some client was supposed to build a system in but they flaked out... years later I just gave her credit for PC work for the case. So basically free...   it is still a nice case.

I'll probably be getting a PSU for it also. I have a few lying around so we'll see. 

Currently though i can get 130+fps (gtx 1050 ti... no tearing at some where near 1920x ........ in overwatch) with it now...   So it is still relevant even as a gaming desktop.

I'll just rebuild it back with the 930 it came with and sell it off to recoup some the money I put into it.

April 7th, 2019 04:00

So I went with a different board. The Asus Sabertooth X58 which from the features is a nice change from the Dell board. The Saber tooth has troubleshooting features. What a button that helps with memory compatibility issues. It has 4 post state LEDs to help figure post issues.

But...

The system struggles to start. & seems to have same memory issue.

Turns on then off then on then POSTs 

I ran it for a lil bit once Windows reconfigured itself & it hung up on something.   So I turned it off. ... & left it off .

I think a better PSU is needed. So I'll be getting one soon. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 7th, 2019 10:00

My recording studio desktop is using an ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero (Z170) motherboard.  I'm not gaming with it but bought it for the number of ports.  No problems with the board or Windows 10.  

I looked at a Dell XPS but it didn't have the ports or expansion capability I needed.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 7th, 2019 13:00

@NinjaUnmatched wrote:

So I went with a different board. The Asus Sabertooth X58 which from the features is a nice change from the Dell board.

So, you no longer have a Dell. Maybe look for help in the Asus forums (or a custom build forum).

Personally, I would have instead put that retail/after-market MB in a ... retail/after-market case.

April 7th, 2019 15:00

I did put it in another case. I could do that if I wanted to but then Wouldn't be able to sell off the Dell. 

But I figured I would mention it & let it be known what can be done which works. I like the board though seem tough too. Even has status protection too for those times you may get distracted & your hand slips... lol

April 8th, 2019 10:00

Thanks all for your comments & help. I hope this helps others.

April 8th, 2019 10:00

So to finish things off.

That last issue was the Dell PSU.. I starts fine now. Also...  

See all 3 memory sticks fine triple channel and all.   Now this setup only 8GB was shown when using the Dell PSU.   Which makes me wonder if a better PSU would fix the memory quarks you run into with the 9100 /9000 motherboard. 

Now with the Dell motherboard (both 9000 & the 9100) these same 3 memory sticks would never work in triple channel nor see all of the capacity (3x4GB Corsair 1600) I knew speed would get turned down on them but wasn't concerned with that. 

No Events found!