Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2018 14:00

Wired NIC doesn't work but wireless connection *does* work

I am trying to diagnose whether my NIC is just straight dead or if there's some odd driver-fail that's happening.

My PC is a Dell XPS 8910-7020. Everything was working fine. Then, aprospros of nothing, the NIC failed this morning. I have been testing things. Here is what I have found:

• drivers.pngWifi works just fine; wired internet doesn't work at all
  • Modem/Router works fine. Wired connections work with all other devices
  • I've gone into the Device Manager, but I can't find an actual entry for the NIC (just all the other NIC/wifi-adjacent items; see sidebar image)
  • I don't believe my NIC is actually dead, though, because I ran a boot-level Dell hardware check and everything has come up fine.

If any of you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I'm happy to provide any data you might want.

Thanks for your attention,

Matt

November 11th, 2018 11:00

@DocBadwrench wrote:

Thanks to both of you for chiming in. On a Saturday, too.. I usually resign myself to no attention until the following Monday.

Response to Blindmelonball:

Have you tried uninstalling the NIC, rebooting, and letting the machine find it and automatically reinstall the NIC?

Not possible. This is the onboard NIC.

From blindmelonball:
I didn't mean physically uninstall, because I understand the NIC is onboard.  I meant uninstall via Device Manager.  On all my desktops and laptops, new or old, all Windows OSs, I've done this many times.
I'll be very interested to find out what the ultimate fix is.

November 10th, 2018 14:00

Have you tried uninstalling the NIC, rebooting, and letting the machine find it and automatically reinstall the NIC?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 10th, 2018 15:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts. :Idea:

Did you try reseating the Ethernet cable in its connectors at both ends? 

Did you look at the back of the tower to see the NIC status lights: The two lights next to the connector indicate the connectivity status and network activity.

Did you reboot your router/modem?

Did you try reinstalling the Qualcomm Atheros ethernet driver from Dell's support page? 

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the ethernet entry and make sure it's Enabled. Save the change before exiting setup, but don't change anything else. Then reboot.

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?  CR2032 3-volt battery, ~$2.00.

You might try resetting BIOS:

1. Power on and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy all current settings to be safe
  3. Power off and unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery - check service manual for instructions.
  6. (While you're in there, use some canned air to chase out all the dust bunnies)
  7. Reinstall (fresh) battery and close up
  8. Connect mouse, monitor, keyboard, and NIC cable
  9. Reboot

Does NIC work now?

And there's always a possibility the onboard NIC failed... 

November 10th, 2018 16:00

Thanks to both of you for chiming in. On a Saturday, too.. I usually resign myself to no attention until the following Monday.

Response to Blindmelonball:

Not possible. This is the onboard NIC.

Response to RoHe:

Always include version of Windows in your posts.

Whoops. My mistake. :) It's Windows 10 Pro (64) Version 1803 / OS Build 17134.345

Did you try reseating the Ethernet cable in its connectors at both ends?

Oh Yes. I have tried three different cables and have made use of all the ports to ensure there isn't some dead port there.

Did you look at the back of the tower to see the NIC status lights: The two lights next to the connector indicate the connectivity status and network activity.

I am seeing a persistent, blinking amber LED. According to what I'm looking up, that means I'm connected to a 100Mbps network, right? It's possible that my source for this is out of date.

Did you reboot your router/modem?

Yes. It was the first thing that I did. I powered down, unplugged, and then waited a good ten minutes before reinitializing the network. All other devices in our home can maintain a wired connected with this router/modem.

Did you try reinstalling the Qualcomm Atheros ethernet driver from Dell's support page?

Yes. I have downloaded and installed the Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller Driver (Release Date 22 Jul 2016). I then rebooted with no change in condition.

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the ethernet entry and make sure it's Enabled. Save the change before exiting setup, but don't change anything else. Then reboot. 

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?  CR2032 3-volt battery, ~$2.00.

This computer is a year old refurb. Wild guess it's not the Mobo battery because I'm not experiencing any CMOS related problems or any other symptoms.

You might try resetting BIOS:

1. Power on and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
    ….
  2. Reboot

Does NIC work now?

I don’t have a spare Mobo battery, though I will purchase one or two to have on hand once I make another parts-order.

And there's always a possibility the onboard NIC failed...

I'm beginning to think that this is what's happening. Since NIC's are relatively inexpensive, I'll purchase one. I just wouldn't have expected an onboard NIC to die this early, but Manufacturing Defect RNG can be cruel. :)

Thanks for the help!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

November 10th, 2018 17:00

Check your driver version in Device Manager. In my XPS 8910, the driver version is 2.1.0.17 and the driver date is 9/29/2015 for the Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Dell driver release dates are not a reliable indicator, click on "View full driver details" to see the driver version under "Important information". In this case for Windows 10, the version is 2.1.0.17, Windows 8.1 is 2.1.0.21, and Windows 7 is 2.1.0.25 all for the driver released on 22 Jul 2016..

November 11th, 2018 14:00

OMG. It worked. To be clear, what worked was uninstalling the driver then rebooting Windows. Thank you blindmelonball - and everyone else - for helping suss this out.

No Events found!