Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

15 Posts

April 7th, 2019 02:00

XPS 27-7760 AIO, not compatible with Oculus Rift!

Hi everyone

I am the proud owner of a Dell XPS 27 7760 AOI desk top. I love this machine.

BUT - one of the reasons I purchased it was to eventually use VR games with an Oculus Rift device. But, this XPS 27-7760 AIO is not compatible with Oculus Rift despite the marketing which claims full compatibility.

As noted on the website - it claims full compatibility and a fantastic VR experience: 

"Experience virtual reality on the XPS 27 All-in-one, now Ready for VR. Built with advanced Polaris graphics, a beautiful 4K display and the best sound in an all-in-one, the XPS 27 provides an immersive VR experience.Select configurations meet the recommended specifications to power an ideal VR experience with either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headsets. XPS PCs with the Ready for VR logo power the best VR experience today.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-27-touch/spd/xps-27-7760-aio/fdcwduckbl404daos

Last weekend, I finally purchased an Oculus Rift and to my disbelief - it didn't work with the machine. The headset wasn't recognized. I contacted Oculus and they wrote the following:

Damien
 (Oculus Support)
Apr 6, 4:44 AM PDT
Hey David,
Thank you for letting us know that you are using a Dell Inc. XPS 7760 All In One system. You are correct that the issue is how your system uses the switchable graphics configuration between an Intel and AMD Radeon cards. Due to this we do not support this type of system with the Rift.
Regards,
Damien
Oculus Support
++

When I explained the problem to a Dell technician, I was told to return the headset for a refund. I explained this wasn't an acceptable solution. The Dell technician then agreed and said that Dell needed to remove the compatibility claim from the website. I again said that this wasn't an acceptable solution. Dell has sold thousands of these units on the basis of this VR-compatibility claim and they need to deliver on this promise. 

I look forward to a rapid technical solution to this issue to be proposed by Dell.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 7th, 2019 06:00

There was another thread on this same subject.  I do not know if they found a way in that thread to make it work but Dell did say they had tested the Vive but not the Rift on that system.

The test you run for compatibility does have a gotcha in that the results do not guarantee the Rift will run on some desktop and mobile systems, which is the response you got from Oculus.

April 7th, 2019 06:00

Thanks Saltgrass - indeed - I saw that thread. The problem is that Dell markets this machine as being specifically compatible with the Oculus Rift and for a great VR experience. This is kind of stuff. If they are selling a machine that simply doesn't meet the required VR specifications and don't find an adequate fix.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 7th, 2019 19:00

Did you disable switchable graphics in BIOS setup? Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the Switchable Graphics option and disable it. Do NOT change anything else in BIOS setup. Save the change and exit setup.

Does that solve the problem?

April 8th, 2019 00:00

Even if this did work. Having to change the bios setting every time my kids want to use the headset hardly seems like a plug and play solution, or the best VR experience. Plus, turning off switchable graphics has implications for other programs that rely on it. Based on Dell's marketing, it should be compatible out of the box.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 8th, 2019 11:00

I did not ask not a silly question. All I saw was a rant and no mention you actually tried changing switchable graphics in BIOS setup.

And your other comments aren't correct either. You don't have to keep charging that setting in BIOS setup. ALL of your software should be fully capable of using the video card and not relying on onboard Intel Graphics when switchable graphics is disabled in BIOS setup.

April 8th, 2019 12:00

Thanks. I have tried disabling switchable graphics in the BIOS. When I do this - the AMD control panel stops functioning and my Dell support center also generates an error when it tries to test the video card. This would indicate to me - that both of these applications are expecting to see the Intel chip enabled in order to function. The larger question - does it seem normal to you that a user would need to disable part of their video hardware in order to use the Rift - when the marketing for the product indicates full compatibility and an amazing VR experience ?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 8th, 2019 13:00

I just looked at the Products page and do not see an XPS 27 all-in-one system.  I do see Inspiron 27 all-in-ones are are something like 7775 or 7770s..

Unless I missed it, they may have already changed the system descriptions..

April 8th, 2019 14:00

Hi Ron - thanks for the tip. Indeed, I tried to disable the intel card via the device manager and this seems to make no difference. The oculus rift still won't boot even when the intel chip is disabled.

At the time I purchased the device - I went for the highest end configuration possible in order to play VR games.

Intel i7, 7700, 32 meg ram, 8 gig Radeon 570 video card (advanced Polaris Graphics), 1TB SSD, etc.

At the time I purchased the device - the marketing said "Experience virtual reality on the XPS 27 All-in-one, now Ready for VR.Built with advanced Polaris graphics, a beautiful 4K display and the best sound in an all-in-one, the XPS 27 provides an immersive VR experience. Select configurations meet the recommended specifications to power an ideal VR experience with either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headsets. XPS PCs with the Ready for VR logo power the best VR experience today."

My machine clearly meets the minimum specifications and programmes like 3d mark demo show that my machine surpasses the minimum required configuration.

The problem is the switchable graphics configuration which Oculus doesn't support. Clearly, Dell went ahead with flashy marketing, before they understood the technical requirements for running VR. I'm not the only person that has run into this problem - but I might be the only person that has the patience and/or means to find a resolution.

Hi - the unit is still on the Dell page with all the of specs. Here is a review on a third party site - also mentioning VR compatibility: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/dell-xps-27-7760,review-4638.html

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

The XPS 27-7760 AIO is here and support page here.

BUT...that sales page does say, quote:

"Select configurations meet the recommended specifications to power an ideal VR experience with either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headsets. XPS PCs with the Ready for VR logo power the best VR experience today."  (emphasis added)

So are you sure your system is one of the "select configurations", whatever that actually means?

Assuming your system meets the requirements, you might try this:
First, manually set a System Restore point. Or better yet, image the hard drive on external media, to be safe. Then instead of disabling Switchable Graphics in BIOS setup, open Device Manager and look for the Intel HD Graphics entry, right-click and Disable it. Reboot and see if things work now...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 8th, 2019 20:00

@DavidEDJensen wrote:

1. Last weekend, I finally purchased an Oculus Rift and to my disbelief - it didn't work with the machine. The headset wasn't recognized. I contacted Oculus and they wrote the following:

2. Due to this we do not support this type of system with the Rift.

3. When I explained the problem to a Dell technician, I was told to return the headset for a refund. 

1. Test on a different (known good) machine.

Preferably, a non-All-In-One. Just so you know ... most AIO are really just (non-portable) laptops, but with larger screens.

2. Easy to blame computer.

3. Recommendation likely heavily based on Rift tech support's statement.

April 8th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about a defective headset. I have now tested it on my office GIS workstation. Worked like a charm.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 9th, 2019 10:00

I pinged my Dell tech contact and asked him to review this thread. Maybe he'll have some ideas...

April 14th, 2019 01:00

Thanks Ron. I appreciate that. So far, I don't see any formal responses from Dell.
No Events found!