Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

80 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 17:00

XPS 410/Dimension 9200, PSU troubleshooting?

I've had this machine for a lot of years and it's really been good. So if it's something fairly simply I'd like to fix it. 

Heard a sound, like a fan running. Finally dawned on me it was coming from my tower. Tried to wake the PC and nothing. Forced a shutdown and then turned it back on. The screen showing BIOS and such came up, then Dell splash screen and it started to load and then stopped pretty quickly. I tried this several more times and same thing, One time Dell screen filled almost clear to the end and I thought it would start but it quit again and the fan started singing again.

My husband and I have taken the back off and taken the power supply out. We used the method of the paper clip inserted into the green wire and the black wire next to it to see if the fan would run. At first it did, but it wasn't putting out very much air at all. Then when I unplugged it and plugged it again there was no air at all. 

Would I be fairly safe in assuming it is the power supply? The one in it is 375w, but I've read that I can go up to 550w. Is that correct?

I"ve also read on this forum that I don't have to use a Dell power supply -- Quote: "The Dimension 9200 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and this can be purchased from most local, or online computer stores."

I would sure appreciate if someone would respond and help me out with this problem. Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 20:00

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2.

What color is the power button and is it steady or blinking when PC won't boot?

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on front panel when it won't boot?

Look up power button code and LED error codes in the manual.

80 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 10:00

I ordered a new PSU through Amazon. It is a Dell PSU, the same model # as the one I'm replacing.

I have never replaced the motherboard battery. Didn't know there was one. Would you suggest it be replaced before putting things back together?

I don't know about the lights. I"m no computer tech and am stumbling around here, but we live 100 miles from the nearest computer shop so am doing the best I can. The only thing I can recall is some green lights.

80 Posts

It does have 4GB RAM because I updated that years ago. 

I"m surprised at your opinion of this machine. As I mentioned, I've had this PC since 2007 and it's been a great machine. 

I know nothing about the insides of a computer other than what I can Google, and then understand. My husband and I were both fearful of taking that back off and doing what we ended up having to do to get that PSU out of there. I would sure like to have some kind of diagram showing where these plugs go. I remember all but one of them, and I need help with that. Is there anywhere I can go to look at a diagram?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I would not assume it's the power-supply ... you must troubleshoot like this (read carefully). You test Power-Supplies with "Digital Power-Supply Tester".

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubleshooting/m-p/5555517#M57436

Back-in-the-day I installed a Corsair-650w and in another XPS-410, I installed a Corsair-750w. IMO, that machine is not worth messing with unless it has true Intel QUAD-CORE and 4gb-RAM installed ... and then, just barely "worth it". Just sayin. :Smile:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

You should have read the Troubleshooting Tools section in the Service Manual and checked the power button and diagnostic LED codes before you ordered a new PSU. 

Replace the battery first (see Service Manual), and then put the old PSU back in. That way, if a $2 battery solves the problem, you might be able to return the new, unused PSU. You can buy a CR2032 3-volt battery at  Walmart, drugstores, etc.  Just don't buy a cheap "off-brand" which won't last.

All the PSU plugs are keyed so they can only connect in certain places, eg to the motherboard, to hard and optical drives, floppy drive, etc. So you shouldn't have too much trouble, but it would have been helpful to label them before you yanked the PSU out.

The layout of the motherboard is on page 81 of the manual I linked above.

I think the point was whether it's worth the cost of a new PSU to repair such an old PC vs putting that money toward a new one.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You need a specifc EPS 12v  PFC 80 percent or better power supply. The one that works without issue is EVGA Super Nova B1 110-B1-0750-VR  or  700B1

750B1 SUPER NOVA750B1 SUPER NOVA

The B2  B3 BR BT BQ GQ G2 etc models of the same thing DO NOT WORK.

The reason is quite simple  You need 25A or more on the 3.3v and 5v rails as well as 150W combined power on those rails. You also need at least 3AMPS on the 5vSB rail. That means a 550 or 650W unit will not work.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Bronze-Warranty-Tester-100-B1-0700-K1/dp/B018JYHBE6/

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O/

Even Dell 305W power supplies have 150W on the 3.3v/5v combined rails.

DELL 305WDELL 305W

DELL 375WDELL 375W

DELL 460WDELL 460W

DELL 525WDELL 525W

80 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 13:00

Wish I'd of had this information before I placed my order. This is the one I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T5JCPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could you tell me if this one will work?

80 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 13:00

Yes, I agree with everything you said about the troubleshooting and lights and all. 

The reason I'd like to fix it if it's just simple is because I let my young grandsons play computer games on it when they come. I have a laptop that I use myself a lot of the time.

I guess this has been a learning experience.

About the battery, the instructions said: 1 Enter the system setup program and record the values for all the screens (see "Entering System Setup" on page 127) so that you can restore the correct settings after installing the new battery.

Since I can't do this, maybe I should leave the battery go and see if the PSU allows it to boot. ??

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 15:00

I'd do the battery anyway especially because the PSU is out so the battery is being used (assuming it hasn't already died) to hold BIOS settings. And that means it's getting drained and will die.

It's helpful to know what your current BIOS settings are because replacing the battery will reset them to the default values, but it's not essential. If the default settings aren't right for your specific system, it will just take a bit more work to change them, based on any error messages you might get, rather than just being able to set them based on what you would have copied down.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 15:00

@Nikilet wrote:

1. It does have 4GB RAM because I updated that years ago. 

2. I"m surprised at your opinion of this machine.

3. As I mentioned, I've had this PC since 2007 and it's been a great machine. 

4. I know nothing about the insides of a computer other than what I can Google, and then understand. My husband and I were both fearful of taking that back off and doing what we ended up having to do to get that PSU out of there. I would sure like to have some kind of diagram showing where these plugs go. I remember all but one of them, and I need help with that. Is there anywhere I can go to look at a diagram?

1. Good. The Intel quad-core (like an Intel Conroe Q6600) is also important. It's actually 2-TIMES as fast a dual-core. 

2. What opinion is that? That I liked it enough to buy one new? I had one running (with Intel quad-core and 4gb RAM) for 8 years, and helped my brother buy a used one from eBay around 2009 (and we upgraded that one also) . Did I say something bad? Obviously, they are removed from service and in storage now-days. You want me to ship one to you? :Smile:

3. We don't usually recommend fixing 11 year old machines. Something else might go out on it the day after you fix it. 

4. I gave you a link. Google and YouTube are good also. Yes, you have to learn how to be a computer technician to troubleshoot and fix computers. 

732 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 17:00

I'm with Tesla, I would throw that thing in the garbage and get a new one, it is just going to be a money pit now.

80 Posts

August 24th, 2018 15:00

Well, we installed the new power supply but not certain we have everything plugged in right. I looked in the manual and it didn't help. I need diagrams that show "put this plug here." Over by where the hard drive is I could have sworn I removed two plugs. But now can only find a spot for one. We have both looked and looked, again and again.

We put the cover back on, hooked the monitor up and plugged it in. I get a blinking amber power light and nothing else. The light on the back of the power supply does not light up, computer does not start.

We also installed a new battery in the motherboard.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for things I could try.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 24th, 2018 16:00

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front panel?

From the service manual:
IF THE POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING AMBER — The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem may exist.
• Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location, if applicable.
• Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board (see "System Board
  Components" on page 81).

There's only one "main power connector" from the PSU to the motherboard, #5 in diagram on page 81 of  service manual. Each drive, hard, optical, floppy, also has just one connection directly from the PSU.Those should be the only direct connections to the PSU, assuming your add-in video card doesn't have a PSU connector (depends on the video card). 

Each drive should also have a data cable that connects directly to the motherboard. Boot hard drive connects to SATA0 on the motherboard (#3). Optical drive to SATA1 on motherboard (also at #3), floppy drive (optional) to Floppy Connector (#14).  No way to know what else you may have yanked out...

Reboot and immediately press F2. Does that open BIOS setup?

732 Posts

August 24th, 2018 17:00

I know you are probably attached to that computer but do yourself a favor and return that power supply before you damage it and put that money towards an entry level Inspiron which will be 5 times better. Those things just don't last forever and become a unending source of grief eventually. 

80 Posts

August 24th, 2018 19:00

I plan to do just as you suggested. Can you recommend a decent all-in-one at a reasonable price? 

No Events found!