Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 13th, 2019 10:00

XPS 420, keyboard issues

Yep, it's that old and still running Vista and IE9 with some help sometimes on some sites with Firefox. But last night I apparently hit a wrong key or key combination. Everything works fine and I have the cursor appear in the proper places, however, when I strike a key, the text doesn't display. Also, the when I hit CAPS LOCK key, the light doesn't display. Also, a little message board labeled "Filters" and some verbiage about keystrokes and with some option buttons. And now I can't find it. I have had this computer for a goodly number of years...looking up the description for the key board, the date of its manufacter and the drivers is 2006. Might the problem be the keyboard" Like I said, everything else works fine, including watching and downloading videos and songs, listening to radio, and playing download material. Any suggestions appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

Received private message from DCF (?) Administrator wanting my Service Tag Number, but could find no obvious way to reply.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

From your description in seems you may have a bad keyboard. If possible you could try your keyboard on another computer or borrow another computer to try on your computer.

Regarding how to reply to a private message you can click on the subject and then click on the Reply button on the lower right.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 13th, 2019 16:00

Hi Vic...

It seems nothing is working on the dusty and dirty old keyboard, which is the original one that came with the computer.  No backspace. no arrow keys, Esc key doesn't work, got CAP LOCK on, now it won't turn off. It acts like some connection is broken. I guess there is no way to test it other than trying another one. Will pick up a new one tomorrow and see how it goes
For some reason the "Ease Of Access Center" screen appeared, like I mentioned in the first post. But the subject computer it's no longer able to bring it up. I'm writing this on my backup machine.  

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 14th, 2019 04:00

If you are using Windows 10, the Ease of Access screen may have appeared because of your keyboard issues. Ease of Access allows you to use your computer without a physical keyboard, use sticky keys, use toggle keys, and use filter keys.

192 Posts

April 14th, 2019 05:00

Sounds simple but have you tried unplugging the keyboard and trying the same and a different usb port? I'm assuming it's USB.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 14th, 2019 08:00

Yeah, I've tried switching USB ports. I think the darn thing is just worn out. We'll find out later today.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 14th, 2019 08:00

When I try to send Service Code via Private Message there is nothing listed under "Send To" Clicking on the three dots brings up....nothing. See no option to edit anymore....will never get comfortable with this format. Took off Service Tag number...my system is slow and I wasn't waiting long enough for buttons to work.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 14th, 2019 09:00

If you are concerned about your privacy you should not post your Service Tag here.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 14th, 2019 12:00

Slowly figuring it out, don't come to the forums often anymore.

At any rate, the installation of a new keyboard in a different USB port made no difference. It shows the device is installed and ready to use, but no key or function works. Have no idea what's wrong with it except probably age, or some internal component inside the tower has gone bad. Other than the keyboard issue, it works fine. Have no idea what to do next , maybe it's time to get a rehabbed Dell computer as I have had this beast for at least 10 years. There's a couple of good stores here in Denver that do that.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 14th, 2019 15:00

Power off your Dell. Power up and press [F2]. Do you get to the BIOS setup? Try this with both your new keyboard and old keyboard and use the back ports of your computer. 

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 08:00

:Yes:

Maybe we're getting somewhere!  With the new keyboard installed....

pressing F2 did indeed bring up the vertical menu that includes BIOS option.

pressing F8 brought forth the various start choices including the Repair Option.

So, some important function keys worked, as did ESC key, arrow keys, and ENTER key.

Maybe victory is in sight. What action of sequence of actions should I take next?

Gotta leave for awhile, will check back this afternoon. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 15th, 2019 09:00

The keys are not working in Windows but work fine in BIOS because you have malware and or corrupted windows.

You need to clean install on a new non corrupted hard drive.  There are no soft fixes for physically bad drives.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 15th, 2019 10:00

If you can get the keyboard to work in the BIOS setup the hardware is fine and the Windows install is likely knackered. Windows Vista reached end of life in 2017 and is insecure. Since you are able to Boot to the BIOS, you should be able to run preboot diagnostics. See here for details:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/prebootdiagnosticsbootablecd/

If you have valuable data on that system you are best to use a Linux Live Bootable USB (Use the MBR Partition Scheme and NTFS when making a Bootable USB) and back your data up onto a USB Flash Drive:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/data-recovery-using-fedora-2/

Then you will be better off to clean install Windows 10 Version 1903. If you have a Windows 7/8.x Retail Product Key you can use it to activate Windows 10, otherwise you can install Windows 10 Home without a Product Key and run Windows 10 unlicensed. The unlicensed version will have some settings such as personalisation greyed out and locked to default and the desktop will be watermarked but otherwise it is fully usable and far more secure to use than Windows Vista:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 12:00

Thanks for the prompt answers. This is not my secure computer, but scans with various malware products have come up clean. I use it mostly for forum visiting, or looking stuff up, which is the only time I use the keyboard. The mouse remains functional so I can visit You Tube and watch videos or play music. The computer works fine every other way, so I don't want to scrap it yet. I am probably better off to start looking for a simple rehabbed Dell in some of our local shops,...not sure if Windows 10 would even install on this old tower....and then study up on Windows 10 beforehand. Wonder what might happen if I ran the Dell Diagnostics or attempted the Repair Option? Not to argue with your experience and knowledge, but Defraggler and Speccy by Piriform and "Disk Checkup V.3.0 " should the hard drive as healthy. I'm just naturally curious how everything else seems to be OK and works, except the keyboard. Thanks again for any advice.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 13:00

. Will check it out and see if it works. Might be a few days before I can get back.

One more observation for today. While in YouTube noticed that if I held down a letter key for several seconds, then let go, the letter would appear. I was able to type a word or two doing this, but it took a long time. Also thought I heard a faint buzzing sound while the key was held down. Also, forgot to mention I have Zemana Keystroke Anti-Logger with keystroke encryption and SSL Intrusion Prevention. Have no idea of this has any effect on the problem.
No Events found!