Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 13th, 2018 05:00

XPS 8300, PCIe x1 slots, Video Card/GPU?

I'm trying to get two GPU's (GTX 970 and GTX 1050Ti) to run on my XPS 8300 D03M (i5 w 6gb ram) with an upgraded 500w PSU. I have a fresh install of windows 7, all the latest drivers for the pc itself and my gpu's. Long story short I'm using at as an addition to my crypto mining setup. 

When I use the x16 slot with a pcie riser and everything working fine. When I try to use both gpu's (1 on x16 slot and 1 on x1 slot) the gpu on the x1 slot never gets detected. It just shows "available" as opposed to "in use" in Speccy.

I've verified both risers and gpu's work on the x16 slot, but the gpu/riser plugged into ANY x1 slot never seems to get detected. I've tried looking in bios but don't see any options pertaining to the pcie slots. 

I think I can eliminate the psu being a problem as I've run these two cards together on the same psu in another pc. 

Any thoughts? I'm not sure what else to do. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for the help.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 16th, 2018 08:00

The 2010 XPS 8300 was never designed or tested to run two video cards. The motherboard only has one PCIe x16 slot dedicated for a video card. The three PCIe x1 slots cannot run a video card. Those PCIe x1 slots would use PCIe x1 devices like a sound card, USB 3.0 card, etc.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2018 15:00

im using risers that only use 1x lane so it should still read them, but it doesnt. This is the only pc ive come across that wont read my additional cards. It just shows them as available...I know there is a solution for this issue. If i solve it, i will post here. thanks.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2018 13:00

Is there any reason my other pcie slots wont detect anything? It seems they dont want to work when the x16 slot is plugged in. Example: I have one item plugged into the x16 pcie slot. Everything works as it should. Move same item to x1 pcie slot, everything still works. Plug one item into x16 slot and one into x1 slot, only x16 slot works. Any ideas, still stumped on this weeks later. This is the only pc i have come across that doesn't like to run two pcie slots at once...Help! Thanks lol. 

1 Message

November 5th, 2019 16:00

What about a PCIe WiFi card?  My 8300 will not recognize the card.  I'm running Windows 10- home on the XPS 8300

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 6th, 2019 11:00

@cmfolk wrote:

What about a PCIe WiFi card?  My 8300 will not recognize the card.  I'm running Windows 10- home on the XPS 8300

Thanks

This thread is ancient. You should have started a new one.

Is this the first time a  WiFi card was installed in this PC, or a sudden issue with an existing card?

When you say "not recognized", do you mean it's not listed in Device Manager? Is there any "Unknown" device listed in Device Manager? Did you install the driver for the WiFi card and is it compatible with Win 10?

What slot is the card installed in, PCI-e x1 or Mini-Card slot? Sure the card is seated properly?  Did you try clearing BIOS (by removing motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec and then reinstalling the battery) to see if that will make the card available?

No Events found!