thisyear2019
1 Copper

XPS 8500, can't solve a RAM problem

I have an XPS 8500 tower which started having Memory_Management Windows stop codes today. 

I was trying a number of troubleshooting steps and I kept getting the blue screens, 5 times in 2 hours. 

So then I tried one of the steps which was, remove and re-seat the RAM one by one. 

I did that and since then when I start up I get a blinking orange power button and 2 beeps repeating over and over. 

All the research I did tells me that it's can't detect RAM.  After researching the problem I tried removing all the RAM and trying each stick in each slot individually one by one and I get the same result. 

It seems unbelievable to me that all 4 sticks of RAM could have gone bade at once; is it possible that it's the motherboard?  

I'm about at the point of buying a new computer but felt I should ask the community and see if there's anything else I can try.  I appreciate any help you can give me.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: XPS 8500, can't solve a RAM problem

@thisyear2019 wrote:

It seems unbelievable to me that all 4 sticks of RAM could have gone bade at once; is it possible that it's the motherboard?  

In the scenario you describe, the motherboard sounds more likely, but either is possible.

Until you see that RAM work in this machine (or some other) ... you can't really say "it's good".  :Smile:

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
thisyear2019
1 Copper

Re: Can't solve a RAM problem

I'm reluctant to invest in memory that I won't be able to use. I suspect that the component of the motherboard that holds the RAM is burned out. Does that sound plausible?

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

Re: Can't solve a RAM problem

Have you checked the coin-cell battery on the motherboard that backs up the BIOS settings? Follow the procedure in the manual for replacing it.

Also what happens when you enter the BIOS if you can enter the BIOS? Does the BIOS detect your memory?

0 Kudos