Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

July 17th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8700, SSD "C" drive full, how to replace?

My original 256 msata SSD drive is almost full on my XPS 8700. It is the C drive with the operating system. Other than upgrading the operating system to windows 10, the system has the original configuration with updated drivers. Seems that a lot of programs and downloads default to the C drive with no option to use other drives. I also have a 1TB hard drive that came with the system.

I jumped the gun and bought a Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD drive thinking I could just clone the original onto the new drive and install it. After doing some more research, this might not be as easily done as I thought.

Is it possible to use this new Samsung drive as my C drive? And if so, what are the steps I need to do to make it work? 

Thanks for any assistance.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 17th, 2018 16:00

@scottt57 wrote:

My original 256 msata SSD drive is almost full on my XPS 8700. It is the C drive with the operating system. Other than upgrading the operating system to windows 10, the system has the original configuration with updated drivers.

1. Seems that a lot of programs and downloads default to the C drive with no option to use other drives.

2. I jumped the gun and bought a Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD drive thinking I could just clone the original onto the new drive and install it. After doing some more research, this might not be as easily done as I thought.

1. Not sure how you managed to fill 256gb with just Windows-10 and some (even all) programs.

You know ... your Steam, Origin and/or uPlay Folders don't have to be on C: .   Nor does your music and videos files.

2. Just Image drive to a file and then restore. See this or Macrium Reflect documentation.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2018 16:00

Samsung has cloning software so look into that, and lots of threads on this forum about replacing a drive, so search for those too.

Are you saying the 1TB drive is empty? There are relatively easy ways to tell Windows to move default folders (Documents, Photos etc) off the C drive and onto another drive. So you might want to free up space on C by doing that. And some apps have their own settings that tell it to store data on a different drive. So you should be able to change that location to the 1T drive.

And some of your apps may let you install them on a different drive which will also free up space on C.

No Events found!