Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 18th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8700 built-in network adapter failure

Dell XPS 8700-PC Intel Core i7-4790 CPU 3.6GHz Desktop

Came with Windows 10 but backed down to Windows 7 Professional SP1 (to be the same as work).

Worked fine on built-in NIC for 3 years, then one day no network!

No change to computer or hub. Light on RJ-45 shows connectivity. Tried different ports on hub to no avail. 

Device manager shows no NIC, it just isn't there anymore!

Device manager shows wireless adapter (Dell 1703) but it will not connect. Other devices working fine on the WiFi. 

Without the network, I can't run Dell Diagnostics.

Should I assume the NIC had hardware failure?

Why won't wireless connect?

Should I get a ad in NIC?

Recommendations?

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

January 18th, 2018 12:00

Removed

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 18th, 2018 17:00

Did you recently install any new software or BIOS updates?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure the onboard NIC is still enabled in BIOS. Be sure to save the change -if any- before exiting setup.

When was last time you replaced motherboard battery? Copy down all current BIOS settings and then power off unplug, and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Remove the motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec and install a fresh battery. If the battery died, BIOS might not see the NIC.

If you reboot and immediately press F12, you may see an option to run diagnostics so try to run them from there. (Note: This option may have been lost when you downgraded to Win 7.)

Have you tried reinstalling the NIC driver, and possibly the Intel Z87 and AMT HECI chipsets for Win 7?

The PC probably won't offer a WiFi option as long as the Ethernet cable is connected to rear of PC. So disconnect it from the PC and then launch the Network & Sharing Control Panel and configure your WiFi network connection.

What are you calling the "hub"? Is that your router/modem?

And if all else fails there's always a USB>Ethernet dongle. Plugs into any USB2 or USB3 port on PC and connects the Ethernet cable between the dongle and the router/modem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 18th, 2018 19:00

BTW: Similar problem in new thread in the Home/Office Networking forum with an XPS 8700, but that one is running Win 10...

1 Message

February 20th, 2020 11:00

I have 4 dell computers for my office, all bought in Sept of 2017.  All four of the on board network adapters failed.  I have bought j5 Creative USB 3.0 network adapters for all of them, and they work fine - plug and play.

A bit disappointed with Dell tho that all 4 failed from about 18 months to 30 months.

No Events found!