Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2022 08:00

XPS 8700, fan turning on and off

So my Dell desktop has been running fine but whenever I launch programs that are gpu heavy the fans go crazy and turn on and off and on and off repeat. Even when there are no programs active it will turn on every 3-5 minutes. Is there a way to make the fans just always run at a low constant speed or are they stuck sounding like a jet engine turning on for 15 seconds?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 12:00

And some times a corrupted video driver can make the fans "take off"...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 08:00

Machine is old, so could be just about anything.

I suggest you install CPU-ID's HWMonitor and see what is going on with your Temps. Often, what is perceived as "fan trouble" is just the machine trying not to melt-down/burn-up. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 09:00

Re: Is there a way to make the fans just always run at a low constant speed or are they stuck sounding like a jet engine turning on for 15 seconds?

Tesla is correct, 4 main culprits of loud fans in Dell XPS are gpu fan (assuming you have a discrete video card), cpu heatsink fan, chassis back exhaust fan, and psu fan.

jet engine fan is typically seen w Dell cpu heatsink fan.  some people might suggest you reapply fresh thermal paste, which is not a bad idea. But given the model is old, I suggest you replace CMOs battery with a brand new CR2032 and clear CMOs settings by jumper reset on motherboard.  This is easy procedure in case bios settings is getting old.

January 3rd, 2022 19:00

Reinstalled the videos drivers and it sorta fixed the problem. The main issue of the fans turning on and off still persists but it is not as extreme. It is not nearly as loud as it used to be and the gpu runs better. Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2022 08:00

@MeNotTryhard  Glad the video drivers helped.

You may still have to  check that the fans and air vents are clean and fans spin smoothly, and possibly redo the thermal paste between CPU and heat sink....

No Events found!