Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

June 13th, 2019 07:00

XPS 8700, onboard ethernet not working, thunderstorm

Dell XPS 8700. Win 10 Home.

My XPS 8700 came with an onboard Realtek RTL8111F-CG ethernet controller which was working fine. After a thunderstorm, I returned home and my Uverse Modem/Router was damaged and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, the ethernet on the computer is non functional and I'm forced to use the Dell's wireless in the meantime.

I removed the Realtek device ( as recommended) through device manager and rebooted expecting that the hardware would be detected and re-installed, but it wasn't. Now the device is missing from the Network category completely and I can't install drivers for it, which I also tried to do.

The ethernet controller is enabled in the Bios.

Please advise.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 13th, 2019 07:00

Do you get any Power On Self Test error?  

With the "zap" to the modem the NIC (Network Interface Chip) sounds like its damaged too.  With a lightning hit anything can get damaged and if the NIC is the only thing you are lucky. 

I'm near Tampa Fl and that is the US "lightning capitol" and very careful in storms.  Many times I'll disconnect from the ISP (Cable) link.   

You can buy a USB connected NIC and use that for wired connection.  You can also buy a PCIe NIC card.

Here is an example of a USB NIC from Amazon:

CLICK ME

2.5K Posts

June 13th, 2019 09:00

happy for you , no fire.

arrest it all before it enters the home, and win , win big time.

you can claim it on home insurance, ok? (low deductibles hope)

The scary part of all , happening on vacation,  my greatest fear is this..... and then my water main blew sky high in April, due to 125psi city water pressures here, yes crazy high, so now im schedule 80 pipe end to end and cutoffs. and 50 psi regs.  and we all know those regs can fail stuck open don't we.....

off topic but really floods are like lightening, happens fast and damage max.

2.5K Posts

shut down the port in BIOS

put in a new PCI-express ethernet card 1Gb  and move on.,.... you also make any home safer for lightening,

one is dual 16' GROUND STAKES AS THE AC SERVICE ENTRANCE,

THEN 2 HUGE Gauge ground wire to the outside power panel and then to the cable TV cable box ?

We then use a cable main, ground protector device there, at my silly cable providers box they had nothing there.

so I bought one and installed it and connected it with a huge copper wire to my 2 STAKES.

tons of lighting here too and no damage for 10 years,  I even did this on the job at a very bad place for lightening.   some are far worse than yours. far far worse. (like MEZA AZ)

there is no 100% protection but in most cases its zero there, or pathetic,

its call ground bonding, in the business.

make the huge copper not do tight turns, 90degrees,  do the wide easy turns and win.

I also have this hUGE ANTENNAL here 35 foot tall , and no hits and no damage, yet.

I have huge spark gap arrester an the base and 2 huge ground rods there too. and with flatbar copper strapping

flat works best.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

No Events found!