Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 4th, 2019 22:00

XPS 8700, wont power up, on button does nothing

I have a 6 year old XPS 8700. In the last several months, it's developed a start issue. Began with me having to push the power button 2 or 3 times, before it starts. Now it may start on the first push or the 10th or I may spend a couple of minutes pushing the button. I've tried running a update on the BIOS and replacing the CMOS battery. Also tried pulling the power cord and holding the button down for 30 seconds, before trying to start. Pulled the front bezel off and pushed directly on the button, still nothing. If you push the test button, on the power supply, you get a red light and you can hear the fan start. Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 5th, 2019 07:00

Reseat the cable connector from the front panel to the motherboard and also reseat the 24 pin power connector  Neither may not be the problem but reseating will eliminate them.  Reseat - with the PC powered off, remove the connector then plug back in making sure its correctly and fully seated. 

If reseating doesn't help try shorting the switch pins (if they are accessible) and see if powers up.  If it does that suggests the switch is the problem.   I can't tell you which pins are the power switch on the front panel connector to the motherboard as they are Dell proprietary and undocumented.

Number 18 on the motherboard diagram is the front panel power connection. 

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 5th, 2019 08:00

@olejasper wrote:

Began with me having to push the power button 2 or 3 times, before it starts. 

Sounds like a bad power switch.

IIRC, reported commonly on old Dells and XPS.

To troubleshoot that issue, you can install temporary simple-switch for testing or just jump-start it as @fireberd  suggests.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 5th, 2019 11:00

There was a recent post where the user squirted a bit of WD40(??) on the power switch for another XPS model with similar button problems.

Search for that thread to see the details and -obviously- I can't guarantee that will work for you too.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 5th, 2019 12:00

Ah-haa- I found that thread.

t2Surfer used contact cleaner, not WD40, on an XPS 8900 to fix the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

March 10th, 2019 08:00

Bought a power button for a XPS 8900, same button just cheaper than those sold for XPS 8700.

That was what it needed.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 10th, 2019 13:00

:Yes:  :Yes:

No Events found!