Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 30th, 2018 21:00

XPS 8900, PSU replacement

Hi.

I think the power supply on my XPS8900 is kaput. Green LED: off. It lights up if I push the test button, but it goes out when I take finger off the button. PC won't boot. What power supply do I buy? The box has a GT 960 video card, and the existing power supply is the stock 460w unit. I imagine I want to replace with a 600w unit? But I am not sure what specs to order against. The service manual and the dell support page is unhelpful.  Installation looks straight forward, except that I don't have a new power supply in my hand to install.  

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 1st, 2018 10:00

Search is your friend. :Wink:

Here's a thread suggesting a heftier Corsair PSU for the XPS 8900. There may be other threads, but I don't have opinions on any of the recommendations...

Why do you think you need a bigger PSU?  What's the recommended PSU power rating for the GT960 card?

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 15:00

Well - I am (was) looking for a new Power supply primarily because. . .I believed the original one was dead.

I was a bit confused by the various specs for the power supplies. I bought and Installed a Corsair AC760 - - tight fit, but it fits. Unfortunately, the new power supply did not change the computer behavior (yikes).  

I will open a new thread with more specific trouble shooting questions.

1 Message

September 9th, 2018 08:00

did u find way to fix the problem in the end ? it was the SPU or something ales   . i have same problem and its not the power button defective or so i did jumper for the 2 wire that lead to power button and wasn't turn on . the only way that i cant turn on the pc after is shut off is by do coms jumper . let me know if u find way to fix it . tnx

No Events found!