Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

February 5th, 2020 20:00

XPS 8900, how to boot from a USB?

How do you boot from a usb on a Dell XPS 8900 desktop?

I changed the boot mode to legacy then clicked on USB Storage Device. The Windows screen comes up but then I get your PC ran into a problem and will restart.

What other settings do I have to change in f2 to get this to work?

I've done this before but don't recall ever have this many problems.

Can someone explain the correct sequence for booting from a usb in an xps 8900.

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 6th, 2020 03:00

Before you power on the PC make sure the bootable USB is plugged in. Power on the PC and immediately press F12. A boot menu should appear with the option to boot from the USB device.

2.5K Posts

February 6th, 2020 05:00

here is an all dell answer, all years, 15 back to now?  (besides the easy F12 way)

1: make this stick bootable and test in on 1 more PC known to boot a USB STICK (test it first then....)

2: in your BIOS ,turn on all USB ports, enable them all,  (easy no?, and is default on but .... who knows others did)

3: then turn off PXE  in the PC, under NIC, pick NIC enable but not the last one NIC with PXE (no!)

3: next,  set usb as first in BOOT order,  and remove any CD/DVD drive from PC,.

4: have only one USB  stick present, tested known to work, not 2, or 3, or other things like it. inserted

5: if PC has UEFI? (it does) turn off SAFE BOOT< SAFE BOOT kills dead,  usb and say DVD booting, (and more , RTM)

no need to turn off SECURE boot, after all you man need that on to install w10 fresh, and in Secure boot mode.

or boots HDD now in Secureboot,  maybe setup now that way, leave it be..  the HDD and the SEcure boot.

272 Posts

February 6th, 2020 07:00

You need to go to the BIOS setup and disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot (if applicable).

Then you need to shut down the system, plug in the USB in the appropriate port.

Then boot into the USB according to the steps you mentioned.

I hope this helps!

6 Posts

June 8th, 2021 17:00

I've been having this problem too.  I have an XPS-8940 (i9-11900K CPU, RTX 3070 GPU).  First I had a heck of a time getting to the BIOS.  I could manage it perhaps one out of 20 attempts.  Once I did get in, I changed an option that allows for a 5 second delay after the system is turned on.  I don't recall the exact setting, but I believe I had a choice of no delay, 5 second delay, or 10 second delay.  Since that change, I've been able to get in to my BIOS almost every time.  I also turned off secure boot and changed a RAID setting to AHCI (that allowed me to see the internal disk drives when booted off a Linux USB flash drive)..

When I have a bootable USB flash drive plugged in, power on, and hit F12 (repeatedly about 2 times per second) I only sometimes see some of my flash drives in the resulting BIOS screen.  Some flash drives are never seen.  Even flash drives that boot fine in older laptops that I have, aren't seen by my XPS-8940 BIOS.  But not all of them.  Some flash drives do work most of the time.  I can only guess that it's some kind of timing/compatibility problem.  I'm hoping there is still some setting in the BIOS (or some other trick) that will allow all (or most) of my bootable flash drives to be recognized.

No Events found!