Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 28th, 2018 19:00

XPS 8900, power button, orange light blinking

Ok so , I have Dell XPS 8900, I changed the mobo recently. After some minor hiccups everything seemed fine for about a week. I tried updating the bios tonight and Now my computer wont boot.  When I connect the computer it blink the power button. 2 times, pause, 3times, and repeat.. 2,3,2,3(Just orange light)  Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance for any help.

77 Posts

August 29th, 2018 04:00

According to Dell Support the light codes are as so: 2,3 Motherboard: Memory or CPU Troubleshoot the Memory and Memory Slots

I have tried resetting all my memory sticks, still same results.No Boot

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2018 04:00

I can't find any specific power light codes for the 8900.  But two beeps is memory and 3 beeps is motherboard.  

Try reseating the memory and/or only use one memory module and see if that makes any difference.

May be the (bad) luck that the replacement went bad.  If the replacement motherboard went bad maybe the power supply is suspect.  A blinking power light (no code) generally is a power supply issue.  Sadly the only way to "test" a power supply is to replace it with a known good one.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2018 06:00

I just read your initial post again. I missed the BIOS update attempt.  That is the most obvious problem, a corrupted BIOS. 

Luckily the 8900 is included in the Dell BIOS recovery procedures. 

Here is the Procedures, follow the instructions and if that was the problem you should be able to recover.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

77 Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

still no go and i dont know if this helps but I am also getting no signal from my monitor

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

If its not initializing you won't get any video.  If you can't recover with the Dell procedure the motherboard is "toast".

77 Posts

August 29th, 2018 23:00

Yep it was the board! Its toast, so I ordered a 8930 today.Thank you for your help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 30th, 2018 03:00

Sorry to hear it was the motherboard, but that happens at times.  Considering the relative age of the 8900 maybe it was time for an upgrade anyway.

29 Posts

October 16th, 2018 08:00

For anyone researching this topic, here is a link to the Dell Diagnostic LED Indicators.  Be sure to click the ">" on the left side to expand the topics.

A reference guide to the XPS Desktop Diagnostic Indicators

1 Message

May 17th, 2019 06:00

I had exactly this problem and it seems that a USB port was overloaded. When I removed all usb connections, the system booted normally.

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 13:00

Wow. After checking the LED codes, I was scared to death my MB was fried. Turns out, like you say, my USB ports were overloaded. I recently plugged in a wireless charger into one of them and that was enough.

No Events found!