Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2018 21:00

XPS 8900, replace HDD to SSD, install windows on SSD

Hello

I need help. Please someone reply as soon as possible

I have Dell xps 8900 with factory Toshiba HHD ( 2Tb) and 32 Gb ram. I bought WD blue PC SSD 500 Gb.

What I want to do is

Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD and install HDD as secondary Drive ( for Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.. )

I'm going to use Recording Software ( Pro Tools 12 ) and some other Music Software ( Plugins and Virtual Instruments ). I want to load and run those software  on this PC.

Maybe I'm going to use video editing software too.

Now my BIOS setting is set to UEFI and Secure Boot is OFF. I have Windows 10 with USB installation.

Please tell me how to install step by step?

Thank you so much

10 Posts

June 8th, 2018 13:00

I already installed it on my Dell XPS 8900 Desktop

Here is what I did.

1.    I  downloaded Windows 10 from here ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) with USB ( I have 32 GB )

2.Shut down the PC and unplug HDD power cable/ Sata Cable

3. Plug USB key and boot the PC and Tap f2 key rapidly when Dell logo appears

4. in BIOS setting, go to the System Configuration > Sata Operation> then Changed it to AHCI mode. Shut down the PC

5.Plug SSD in to motherboard with Power cable and Sata Cable 

6. Turn On the PC and keep tapping f12 when Dell Logo appear

7. (I set my BIOS to UEFI mode ) go to the UEFI and click on USB boot option. Install Windows 10 from there. Go step by step. 

8. When Windows 10 asked me to activate license, skipped and Sign is with my old Microsoft account which activated windows 10 on old HDD.

9. Everything is working fine.

You can check this Video which gave me a lot of information 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbUw8NldXwA&t=0s&list=WL&index=54 )

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 6th, 2018 22:00

I have done this once or twice before.

I did it to my own XPS8900 the day after I got the machine; except that I replaced the factory HDD with a fresh HDD.

The hardest part is literally getting the windows clean OS image onto the USB key. . . which it sounds like you have done.

The next step is to open the case, and swap the drives.

Then, when you boot, have the USB key plugged in. You should just follow the prompts from that point.

Now. . .it's been a while since I have done this. . . I may be skipping a step where you have to tell the BIOS to boot from the USB key BEFORE attempting to boot from the HDD. 

I would (personally) install the secondary HDD AFTER the new SSD is up and running with the O/S installed.. . . .just to make sure nothing weird happens . . . . .

I undoubtedly missed something. The first key is: While your machine is down, do you have a means to get to the internet to ask for help? The second key is: Don't do anything to the original HDD until the new O/S is installed - - > if something goes wrong you could always reinstall the original HDD.

10 Posts

June 6th, 2018 22:00

What is ACHI mode. I'm confusing with it. People keep talking to switch RAID on to AHCI mode to run SSD as fast as possible.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 7th, 2018 04:00

Not 100% sure about that myself.

I first heard about this mode about a few days ago when  I started prowling BIOS settings while troubleshooting a different issue.

I probably heard the same things you did. . . . I will probably learn more next week as I attempt the same conversion you are planning.

Logically, you would want to make the switch at the same time you are swapping hard drives. Not 100% sure how that will work; getting into the BIOS from a power-off condition might be a little tricky involving hitting F12 at the right moment in the boot sequence. Normally, people get into BIOS by restarting the machine using the system recovery options in the Windows Settings menu.

Check out some threads about converting an existing drive from RAID to AHCI. A registry change is required in addition to a BIOS change - - > This will require a boot to safe mode as outlined in that thread.

No Events found!