Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

July 11th, 2018 22:00

XPS 8910, move components to retail case

Hi there as the title says i am going to upgrade the case on my xps 8910. but the only problem is I don't know if the stock PSU can be removed and installed in a regular PSU slot on my new case ( if you were wondering it's a NZXT s340 elite) I'm not sure because on the 8910 the PSU is sitting above the motherboard and flips up when you want to access the motherboard. If anyone knows anything please reach out to me and have a nice day!

6 Posts

February 12th, 2019 14:00

Thank you so much for the reply. I think you (and others) have convinced me about the benefits of a new case re: airflow...the 1080 at full performance is going to generate some heat, and the Dell came with a 6700k that I think can be overclocked (but haven't done it in this case). Also sorta excited to get more hands on and do a retrofit. Also thanks on the h500 v 500i recommendation, also seems the variable fan control would be moot per your earlier post here that you have to have all the fans on the same bus (so same speed), so will go with the standard 500. Looks like a nice case. 

OK so don't want to burden you but any step by steps you could give would be much appreciated, including parts to buy that don't come with the new case, etc.! I'll likely follow it verbatim, including re-installing one of the Dell fans for better airflow. Also I'm a newbie so am not scared of diving in, but have never done a build. What you've said above makes a lot of sense sans a few things like losing labeling of ports on the MOBO and implications of that.

Do not mind about losing the cup holder (aka DVD drive). Has never been used. I feel like it's getting a car with a CD player these days :)

Thanks again and look forward to the transplant!

21 Posts

February 12th, 2019 16:00

I will gladly do a step-by-step for you. Especially since my new aio liquid cooler just came in today (the corsair h60 if you were wondering) and I had to order some adapters for the pump to be powered correctly. I will go over all of that in the step-by-step. What I can go ahead and tell you is that you should go ahead and order some fan-splitter cables (three total if it only splits it into two or however many you need to run 4 total fans if you want to run that setup) as the h500 does not come with any of those cables. That case, if you look at the review several people on youtube have done or the extensive review GamersNexus has done on their website, has almost no cooling difference if you decide to add the extra two fans on the front of the case. The only difference I saw for any component was adding in a fan to the bottom front of the case as an intake since it will blow cool air right into your gpu. Even then, it was a marginal difference from the stock h500 case setup. Which means you would only need one of those fan-splitters I mentioned earlier if you are cool with just the two rear fans.

Finally, I do not suggest doing much overclocking of the cpu using the stock cpu cooler because it won't handle it as well as some other coolers out there. If you want to overclock, I suggest getting an aio liquid cooler (which requires another adapter since the Dell BIOS does not allow fan control) or the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo air cooler. The Hyper 212 Evo performs just as well as many aio coolers out there and is about half the price. This cooler will allow you to overclock your cpu a pretty good amount, probably better than my Corsair h60. The only reason I went with the h60 was for aesthetic reasons. The h60 will require one more cable adapter, and the 212 Evo will not. If you are on a budget, or not really, the 212 Evo is an amazing cooler unless you start heading into the 240/280mm radiators out there, which NZXT sells some of the best of (like the Kraken series) which will look stunning in your case.

Long story short, again, I will get to the step-by-step as soon as I can with as many pics as I can fit, within this week hopefully. I might start it as new thread entirely, which I will post the link to here. Other than that, please ask as many questions as you want answered. If you are ordering your case (mine is the matte black if you don't like color combinations) then go ahead and order some fan cable splitters like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HBQTD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I got the 2 pack) for your case fans. If you don't mind running your fans at full speed the whole time, get one of these instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711CR7HV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as it will allow you to connect your fans directly to the psu unless your specific psu (mine is not one of these) comes with a connection for fans.

798 Posts

February 15th, 2019 08:00

While waiting for Zeus to finish his post, AlienBlaster did a real NICE case swap on his XPS 8910

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/m-p/7241669/highlight/true#M22272

21 Posts

February 18th, 2019 09:00

My entire step-by-step post was flagged as spam. I’ll get home today and post it here because I have spent this whole week trying to get it to go through as a separate thread. Worst case scenario will be that I have to email each one of you the instructions if it doesn’t let me post it here either.

21 Posts

February 18th, 2019 10:00

It is done!!!! 

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8910-8920-8920-SE-8930-case-upgrade-NZXT-H500/m-p/7239064#M22250

That is the link to the thread with every instruction you will hopefully need. 

No Events found!