Jerry8A
2 Iron

XPS 8920, WiFi driver does not install

I have tried two methods to install my Wi-Fi driver.  In either case the latest version does not show it is installed. My current installed version is: 19.51.18.1.  The latest version should be 20.120.1970, AO5.  This is what I have tried:

I used the automated install option and got the following error message:

Installation Failed

I tried the manual install option and it indicated it was installed.  See below log:

[Thu May  2 20:31:33 2019]   Vendor Software Return Code: 0

[Thu May  2 20:31:33 2019]   logo.png

[Thu May  2 20:31:34 2019]   Name of Exit Code: SUCCESS

[Thu May  2 20:31:34 2019]   Exit Code set to: 0 (0x0)

[Thu May  2 20:31:34 2019]   Result: SUCCESS

[Thu May  2 20:31:54 2019]   Open file: C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\Intel-3165-7265-8260-8265-Wi-Fi-Driver_6X88K_WIN_20.120.1.970_A05 (1).txt

I then rechecked what Wi-Fi driver version was on my computer and it indicated 19.51.18.1

And, the driver notification listing for this driver still shows a recommended listing to download the Wi-Fi driver.

Jerry

0 Kudos
17 Replies

Re: XPS 8920, WiFi driver does not install

Jerry8A,

Click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

0 Kudos
savvy2
4 Beryllium

what OS is this? and is it same as new? or upgraded, seems answer is yes, to that to me, and now lost the driver.

if the PC has and ethernet jack, connect it cat/5/6 cable to your router, now the internet works and even migic,

microsofts PnP plug and play finds your wifi cards, driver,

if that fails,  my guess you are running w10, now, and there is no wifi driver at MS nor at HP?

the wifi card uses on most PCs are not one type.

1: missing not opted when new. (some PCs this is an option ,none and 4 choices)

2: Realtek or intel or Broadcom cards.  so what is  there matters and is why dell asked you for the service tag

3: some have  wifi+ blue tooth card.

but that can fail too you or someone changed out the card, or upgraded it. for many reasons. (or failed)

as a tech, I have 2 very great scanners called PCI scanners and can scan any PC (cases closed uP)

and tells what card is there. then I get a driver matching this  exact card.... no guessing , no remove hatches, to read the makers(unknown by you) tag on the card, which also works every time, omg , the antenna cable fell off...……..

or just look at the card tell us what OS you run even 32bit or 64bit and post the cards sticker, even photos work of it.  and magic happens,, drivers that work. every time or we tell you there are none.

old cards have no w10 drivers... ok>.  a fact.

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Jerry, this is really strange. In your other post about the WiFi driver I looked and the latest version posted was 20.10.1.1190. I had written the version number in my post to you. Now the version listed is 20.120.1.970.

0 Kudos
Jerry8A
2 Iron

Hello Vic -

I can't be sure, but this might be the reason for the two versions.

I posted version 20.120.1.970, A05 on May 3rd.  The Wi-Fi driver was updated on May 2nd. So, I think the other version,  20.10.1.1190, reflected an older update.

Jerry

0 Kudos
Jerry8A
2 Iron

Hello Savvy -

You present an interesting response.  Yes, I do use Windows 10.

This is what I can tell you.

I have had this issue before.  I contacted Dell Technical Support and after several tries, Dell was able to fix it.  Unfortunately, I don't know what they did.

They seemed to key in on the driver notification for automatic download was always coming up as "Installation Failed."  

Thanks,

Jerry

0 Kudos
Jerry8A
2 Iron

Hello Savvy2 -

My response got posted out of order.  Please look for it under the post that lists Savvy at the beginning.

Sorry !!!

Jerry

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Stop using the "automated" driver update thingy (SupportAssist and/or Dell Update)! And I'd disable or uninstall them - my 2 cents.

Go to the support page for the XPS 8920 and find the driver for whichever WiFi card is installed in your PC. Download it manually to your desktop. Right-click it and Run As Administrator...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Jerry8A
2 Iron

Hello Ron -
When I go to the manual download list, I get the following headings:

Intel 3165, 7265, 8260, and 8265 WiFi driver    Network 02    May 2019      Download

If I right click on any of the headings it does not list the “administrator” command option. Please advise.
Thanks,
Jerry

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

@Jerry8A wrote:

Hello Ron -
When I go to the manual download list, I get the following headings:

Intel 3165, 7265, 8260, and 8265 WiFi driver    Network 02    May 2019      Download

If I right click on any of the headings it does not list the “administrator” command option. Please advise.
Thanks,
Jerry

First, are you sure you have an Intel WiFi card?  I see 5 different WiFi drivers listed on the support page for this PC model.

Once you're certain which driver you need (What WiFi card is listed in Device Manager?), click the Download link and let it download onto your desktop. You're not going to see any administrator options on the web page!

When the file is on your PC's desktop, right-click it and run as administrator.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos