Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 15th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8920 failures

I ordered an XPS i7-7700 16GB machine to replace a 4 year old desktop bogged down by Windows 10. The DVD R/W drive was DOA - discovered when I tried to install my printer driver. It was diagnosed as bad by Dell, shipped a replacement drive, and an excellent local tech had it replaced within 15 minutes. It ran great for about a month.

Then I was greeted by a blue screen: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. After power cycling it, from that point on, I have had no HDMI screen output, keyboard lights, or mouse. It will not beep, POST, or boot. Another Dell phone technician diagnosed a bad motherboard and shipped out a replacement.  Unfortunately, after the local tech replaced the motherboard, there was NO improvement. His Dell contact requested that the computer be shipped back to the depot - to be returned in 7-14 days! According to the local tech, this is the second failure he has seen. Are there problems with XPS desktops running i7-7700 processors? Bad CPU? Is this typical Dell reliability? Or a lemon?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 19th, 2018 08:00

Apologies for the issues. No, there no platform systemic issues like this. All you can do is await the troubleshooting results from the Depot.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

January 19th, 2018 09:00

IMHO I'm thinking it was a lemon. In my travels of the forums etc, I haven't heard of anything major like that.

1 Message

June 18th, 2019 01:00

I own an XPS 8930.  Within a couple of weeks of the 12 month warranty expiring it has suffered a catastrophic failure.  Won't boot up.  All I got was a single orange led flash. Took it to pc world (it was bought online from them) who after a number of tests got it flashing  2 orange leds on power up and tell me its a circuit failure and the computer will need replacing.  I have had to pay for a partial data download (they couldn't access the SSID) as I had stuff I needed to work on.  However after just 13 months for a £1600 machine I don't see that a total failure is acceptable (1 year warranty or not).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2019 08:00

"KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"  is corrupted file or defective or mismatched RAM .

Could also be malware.

In the above image, it says that the file CLASSPNP.SYS is brokenIn the above image, it says that the file CLASSPNP.SYS is broken

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

June 18th, 2019 09:00

@fast67cat wrote:

I ordered an XPS i7-7700 16GB machine to replace a 4 year old desktop bogged down by Windows 10. The DVD R/W drive was DOA - discovered when I tried to install my printer driver. It was diagnosed as bad by Dell, shipped a replacement drive, and an excellent local tech had it replaced within 15 minutes. It ran great for about a month.

Then I was greeted by a blue screen: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. After power cycling it, from that point on, I have had no HDMI screen output, keyboard lights, or mouse. It will not beep, POST, or boot. Another Dell phone technician diagnosed a bad motherboard and shipped out a replacement.  Unfortunately, after the local tech replaced the motherboard, there was NO improvement. His Dell contact requested that the computer be shipped back to the depot - to be returned in 7-14 days! According to the local tech, this is the second failure he has seen. Are there problems with XPS desktops running i7-7700 processors? Bad CPU? Is this typical Dell reliability? Or a lemon?

Of course it's a lemon. I have had at least 10 Dells with no problems and never even a glitch.

No Events found!