Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8920, upgrading PSU?

I have had this Dell XPS 8920 for just a bout a year. It came with a 1050ti which I have been happy with for gaming so far, but I want to eventually put a GTX 1070 in in it so I can play some newer games. Since I would be getting a regular GTX 1070 (probably the founder's blower style) I would have to meet the NVIDIA minimum recommended wattage requirement which are which is 500w, but this PC came with a 460w psu. I do plan to build a PC from scratch at some point, so I got a Seasonic Focus + 850w Platinum PSU. However, I have read that the Dell MOBO needs at least 150w combined on the 3.3v and 5v rails? This PSU has high wattage on the 12v rail, but only 100 combined on the 3.3 and 5 it seems. I read elsewhere about someone using this in their XPS 8300 and I have also seen it as a recommended upgrade in other places due to its small form factor. I was going to try to put this into the XPS and upgrade to a 1070 until I eventually build a new PC. Will this PSU not work with my XPS 8920?

798 Posts

January 13th, 2019 11:00

Should w

@ChronoTravGamer wrote:
I have had this Dell XPS 8920 for just a bout a year. It came with a 1050ti which I have been happy with for gaming so far, but I want to eventually put a GTX 1070 in in it so I can play some newer games. Since I would be getting a regular GTX 1070 (probably the founder's blower style) I would have to meet the NVIDIA minimum recommended wattage requirement which are which is 500w, but this PC came with a 460w psu. I do plan to build a PC from scratch at some point, so I got a Seasonic Focus + 850w Platinum PSU. However, I have read that the Dell MOBO needs at least 150w combined on the 3.3v and 5v rails? This PSU has high wattage on the 12v rail, but only 100 combined on the 3.3 and 5 it seems. I read elsewhere about someone using this in their XPS 8300 and I have also seen it as a recommended upgrade in other places due to its small form factor. I was going to try to put this into the XPS and upgrade to a 1070 until I eventually build a new PC. Will this PSU not work with my XPS 8920?

Should work great in the XPS 8920, newer design GPU's pull power from the 12V rail.    The upgraded cables are bulkier than the OEM PSU and do take up more room and restrict airflow, just use zip ties to bundle them up.  The compactness of thie Seasonic PSU is appreciated in the limited space of the case.  I have had no issues with the Seasonic PSU in my XPS 8930.  850W should be fine for your future build as well.

January 20th, 2019 13:00

Thank you for the response. I feel safer about putting this into my PC. I just wanted to be sure this PSU wouldn't damage anything :)
No Events found!