Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

22 Posts

November 16th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8930, 27" monitor?

Good evening,

Can anyone suggest a suitable/compatible midrange price 27 inch monitor for my recently purchased Dell XPS 8930 desktop tower. I would prefer a Dell product with an infinity edge bezel and entry level gaming compatability.

I looked at the Dell S2718D which seems nice but I'm not sure about the compatability of the connections from the monitor to the tower, I would have thought HDMI on the back of the tower to HDMI on the monitor, however, I have read recently that the connection should be between the monitor and the graphics card!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Many thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 16th, 2018 18:00

The Dell S2718D only has one HDMI 2.0 video input and no other video inputs. If your XPS 8930 has a graphic card you will need to connect the monitor to it. Hopefully your graphics card has a HDMI output. The integrated graphics is disabled if there is a graphics card installed. Hopefully your graphics card supports 2560x1440 resolution. Also check to see what type of HDMI connection is on the graphics card and the monitor, whether it is HDMI, mini-HDMI, or micro-HDMI, this will determine the type of cable/adapters you may need.

22 Posts

November 17th, 2018 04:00

Great, thanks so much for replying - As far as I am aware the graphics card is the 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory

Does this shed any light on the type of HDMI connector(s) I need? The reason I ask is that the tower is still in its original packaging just awaiting for a suitable monitor to hook upto.

Thanks again and best regards.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 17th, 2018 05:00

The maximum resolution of the GTX 1050Ti is 7680x4320 @ 60Hz so that should not be a problem. As far as the type of connections, you will have to look at the graphics card. According to this: https://www.dell.com/hr/p/xps-8930-desktop/pd?ref=PD_OC , the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5 has the following connections: DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D. The HDMI connection could be a mini-HDMI, that is what is on my GTX 750Ti but Dell supplied an adapter cable to go from HDMI (female) to mini-HDMI (male). To be sure what you have it is best to look.

22 Posts

November 17th, 2018 12:00

Thanks once again for your prompt reply, I found this picture on a review site which shows the connections on the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. It looks like a normal HDMI connection to me, and just to be clear, I would use this connection on the card to the HDMI port on my proposed monitor?

Apologies for picking your brains (and time) You've probably guessed I'm new to this.

Regards....

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 17th, 2018 17:00

HDMI(PC)>HDMI(monitor) should work fine if you have that video card and go with the monitor you mentioned.

But, you might have to open the monitor's On Screen Display (OSD) at the beginning to check that it's set either to accept video input on its HDMI port or to Auto Select. It seems reasonable to expect the OSD to be set to Auto Select -On for video input, but the doc doesn't say what the factory default setting is...

You can read more here

22 Posts

November 21st, 2018 09:00

Hi Ron,

Thanks once again for valuable support advice. I have taken delivery of the monitor and all present and correct with the exception of the USB C cable. Not too sure what I would need this for anyway but anyway now going to study the manual before hooking up the tower and monitor.

Once again, many thanks, and best regards,

Michael.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 21st, 2018 11:00

Glad to have helped. Enjoy that nice new monitor!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 21st, 2018 12:00

As Ron said "should work fine if you have that video card". The problem is that the Dell OEM video card may mot have the same connections. Not all NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti video cards are the same. The only way to be sure is to look at your video card.

63 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 19:00

This may be off base or irrelevant but, since it is discussing video options on the XPS 8930  I thought I"d post my confusing situation and my discussions with Dell Pro Support.  I hope this does not get too long.

My 8930 (3 weeks old)  has the Intel I7 8086 processor, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd m.2 OC - Programs and 2TB 7200 HDD. I do not have an optional Video Card,  I currently use the Intel UHD 630 Onboard graphics card.   My monitor is a Samsung 43" Smart TV with 2 HDMI ports on board.   I have One HDMI on my 8930 and one on my other XPS 8300 (which has an older AMD PCIE Video card with 1gb of ram)... 

My Samsung is Max 1080p @ 60hz.   I do not play games or heavy graphics, I am using it for a audio work staton only and 1080p is more than enough.  Again,   I am only connected to the HDMI port on the back of the 8930 to the monitor. 

My computer starts fine from a cold boot,  the monitor starts just fine on cold boot,  everything works fine,  So,everything shows I am connected at 1080p 60hz.  over the last week or so, I"ve been doing some software installation and after the installation I needed to restart... which I did... but when I did,  the system seems to come up but no video,  the monitor reports no signal and I am forced to do a hard shut down (hold the power button down)  and then do a cold restart.  At that point everything boots up just fine. 

So  I call Dell "Pro Support"  talk for almost 2 hours,  went through everything from checking all the drivers  Video card settings and even ran the Dell Hardware diagnostics and noting could be found.  So,  after 2 hours the tech was talking to a Dell Support engineer on chat,  gave thee engineer all the information and all of a sudden the Engineer said... "You can not use the Onboard HDMI"  with the monitor set to 1080p 60hz.. I said, what the system and monitor starts and works fine at 1080p 60hz....  But the Dell Engineer said, No,  you have to use the Display Port output with a Display Port to HDMI cable...  

I could not seem to get the fact that everything works fine from a cold boot... they kept arguing with me that the spec on the HDMI is limited to 24hz.... I say that is wrong!    So,  before they do anything more I have had to order a DP to HDMI port cable (will be here tomorrow)  and try that.... 

So, after the discussion with the engineer I was talking with the Tech.. I had him connect to my computer and from his side have restart my computer.... so, he did,  my computer went in to a restart,  my screen went blank and his just hung with the "Restarting" logo... 

This is the craziest set of circumstances Ive dealt with and when I talked to my sales rep.. they just said I have to work with the Dell Pro Support... that they are the best.... and I have a 1 year warranty. 

What concerns me now is a number of posts of the 8900 series hanging on a blank screen.... that really has me thinking of sending the computer back, I"m still with in the 30 days.  

Sorry if this is in the wrong place :-)  Just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen or happening to them on the 8930 video. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 24th, 2018 08:00

@expeeses wrote:

Can anyone suggest a suitable/compatible midrange price 27 inch monitor for my recently purchased Dell XPS 8930 desktop tower.

I would prefer a Dell product with an infinity edge bezel and entry level gaming compatibility.

To others searching later ...

Take a look at the Dell UltraSharp Monitors: u2717d and/or u2719d . If you are buying a XPS instead of an Inspiron, why skimp on the monitor? :Smile:

Good picture and color. Good all-around performance including gaming.

No Events found!