Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8930, Auto Power Time fails

Hi there,

(sorry if this is a duplicate - I have posted this earlier today, I have a link to the post in my profile, but inaccessible... and the post does not appear anywhere in the Forum... anyway)

I have bought recently an XPS 8930. Although I am quite satisfied with the PC, being well built as I am accustomed from Dell - I experience a weird issue where the Dell Support could not help me until now.

The BIOS Setting "Auto Power Time / every day" does not work, or rather it does not work reliably. Sometimes the PC boots up at the time set, but mostly not.

Dell has already replaced the motherboard but this did not help either. The current board has BIOS 1.0.5, the previous one was as far as I know some older version, but the behaviour is the same. Therefore I would rule out the possibility of a generic BIOS issue, also the CMOS battery is not likely to be the root cause (two boards with the same problem would be rather unlikely I suppose).

I do not think either that it is Windows or some energy settings causing the issue - I have tweaked everything so far until the computer is definitely going down to S5, so I am quite sure it is not being stuck in some unclean energy saving state, hybernation or similar.

Disconnecting and reconnecting from the mains power does not impact the misbehaviour either.

Whenever I set the time to a point in the nearer future (from few minutes up to 6 hours), the setting works fine. Of course also when the Dell Technician is on site :-) But in the night (my preferred time would be 02:00 AM but also tried with "not round" numbers like 01:59:59) the computer stays 99% off - in three weeks I managed only 1 or 2 times booting up.

Only thing I have noticed is a possible connection with the duration of the off time before - if the PC was running up to 6 hours before, it is likely (but not sure) to boot, when longer off, never.

I try to pinpoint the issue since weeks in vain... any suggestions what I could try? Could it be the PSU? Anybody experienced similar problems (I know, it is not an often used setting)?

Thank you very much for any pointers,

Cheers, a Humble User.

14 Posts

April 1st, 2018 01:00

Hopefully final follow up:

Looks like the last BIOS Update 1.0.8 finally resolved the issues. According to some other discussions here, it is recommended to disable the Auto Power On Settings in the BIOS prior to the update.

Having done that, the update installed smoothly without any issues.

There is not much information available about the update, just a laconic "fixes: none, enhancements: Auto Power On feature", but that was it. I do not care if Dell names it a fix or an enhancement :-P Since 3 nights the system starts now as expected, even though I have left the Win10 fast start option on.

@powerup-pls you can spare the motherboard replacement if not yet too late - in my case it did not help. Not likely the new MB would have the latest BIOS, update to 1.0.8 recommended.

Thank you all for your feedback,

Cheers, Humble.

14 Posts

February 19th, 2018 23:00

Addendum: my assumption was wrong, there is no connection with the time being off before the boot up time set. Recently I managed to boot up during the day after 6 hours, yesterday the PC was running until 22:30 and did not fire up at 02:00, that is after 3.5 hours.

It is also not the choice of a time after midnight: 01:59:59 worked (once) a few weeks ago, 02:00 never.

So the whole thing is completely random and unreliable or it is the BIOS being scared at spooky hours :-)

Maybe someone owning a 8930 is kind enough to test this - do you manage to boot up at 02:00 more than once? That would at least rule out a generic BIOS software error.

Thank you for any pointers or ideas,

Regards, a Humble User

14 Posts

March 9th, 2018 00:00

Okay, I have no idea why in this forum a) I have to type every post two times and b) there are no responses at all... Possibly a) is the reason for b) and I am one of the few, who retypes every post once more :-)

Anyway - here an update for the Auto Wake On Time issue: after a new motherboard with BIOS 1.0.5 in vain and some discussions with the local DELL Agent (kudos, highly cooperative!), DELL decided to resupply a new XPS 8930.

Warning in case you have this situation: swapping the harddisks DOES NOT WORK for unclear reasons (identical hardware, identical BIOS Settings, no SecureBoot), The new PC does not find a bootable drive, when the HD of the old one is attached.

So after a cheerful and exciting several-hours-backup/restore-wipe-old-HD-session I managed to "clone" the system, set the BIOS to 02:00 AM and in the following night, hurray!, the system booted for the first time as expected!

But only in this night and never again. Next night - nothing happens! :-(

Meanwhile it is clearly not a hardware or component isse, as I had the same problem with 3 different motherboards in 2 different PCs. Also not a temporary glitch of a BIOS branch - it is the same with 1.0.2, 1.0.3 and 1.0.5 (did not download and try 1.0.7 yet, but do not have much hope there anyway).

It seems to be a generic issue of the series XPS 8930: the Auto Wake On Time BIOS Setting is nonfunctional / unreliable.

It is a pity, that DELL Support is apparently not aware of this. If I knew, it would have spared us both a lot of time and effort.

Cheers from a Very Lonely and still Very Humble User.

14 Posts

March 10th, 2018 08:00

Last update: new BIOS 1.0.7 does not resolve the issue either.

Additionally to the problem described above, the BIOS Setting Auto Power on AC - Power On does not work either. I tried to solve my problem with an external timer, after 5 minutes without AC the PC does not boot.

Current workaround is WOL via a Raspi - really a dirty hack to run a computer in order to tell the other when it is time to wake up, but at least this consumes less power :-)

Have a nice day, Humble.

1 Message

March 24th, 2018 16:00

Having the same issue right out of the box...computer will not turn on until after 2 pm each day. Tech coming to replace the motherboard later this week. Any new ideas on a permanent fix...thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 17:00

I've never understood why users use this feature.

If you want to use the computer, sit-down in front of it and turn it on.

If you want to run some automated task when you are not around ... I think Windows Scheduler is a better choice and let it sleep in-between.

14 Posts

March 26th, 2018 05:00

side note: anybody knows why the two letters C and U as abbreviation for "see you" is a *bleep* ?

see you, Humble

14 Posts

@Tesla1856

there are certain situations where a BIOS/Hardware level control is preferable. Task Scheduler is rather unreliable, as MS is updating frequently, also a "clean" power state is not easily achievable (you never know if you have S3, or hybernate, or standby hybrid or whatever). Generally the power options are quite volatile when it comes to Windows... Finally quite some attached hardware may have issues when awoken from sleep.

Or alternatively you can have a computer that is getting alive on spooky reasons - like an antivirus waking up 10 minutes after switching off (had that with Norton).

This is why I'd prefer a clean state, freshly booted - it is more stable for patching or other scheduled tasks like backups.

You are right insofar that most BIOS have not this option - but DELL has it for a long time and I have learned to appreciate it (as long as it works :-))

**bleep**, Humble

14 Posts

Hello powerup-pls (a fine username at that :-))

Motherboard replacement did not help for me - also a new delivery of the whole system did not fix the issue. Seems to be a BIOS problem.

Whereas there is a slight hope arising: since a few days BIOS 1.0.8 is available and according to the description on DELLs site there is an "Enhancement: Auto Power Feature" included.

I did not dare to install yet - I am rather careful with new BIOS where there are some 5 or 6 versions within a few weeks (since December from 1.0.3 to 1.0.8)

In case you have the appointment with DELL anyway, you may try 1.0.8 if it helps - if it bricks, you get a new MB anyway :-P

Cheers, Humble

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 26th, 2018 10:00

@HumbleUserwrote:

@Tesla1856

1. Task Scheduler is rather unreliable, as MS is updating frequently,

2. also a "clean" power state is not easily achievable (you never know if you have S3, or hybernate, or s tandby hybrid or whatever).

3. Generally the power options are quite volatile when it comes to Windows...

4. Finally quite some attached hardware may have issues when awoken from sleep.

5. Or alternatively you can have a computer that is getting alive on spooky reasons - like an antivirus waking up 10 minutes after switching off (had that with Norton).

6. This is why I'd prefer a clean state, freshly booted - it is more stable for patching or other scheduled tasks like backups

1. I have not found it to be unreliable.

2. I have Hibernate OFF (with SSD boot, I find it un-needed). The only Sleep-State is the one you setup (I use S3).

3. Not sure what that means

4. Agreed, but Windows-10 64bit is the best yet in that regard. Laptops rely on wake/sleep heavily now-days, so why shouldn't desktops. I haven't noticed much problems.

5. There is no mystery why. Also, newer machines have Intel's Intel Ready Mode Technology .

6. My Aurora-R6 has been waking itself daily for Macrium Backups for about a year now, and I don't think it has missed any days due to not waking. It also wakes for Windows Updates and reboots itself (as needed) to install those.

It's pretty close to iOS (iPhone/iPad ) hands-off maintenance and updating functionality.

14 Posts

March 27th, 2018 13:00

Hi, Mr. Tesla,

I have to admit, you are kind of right with many of your thoughts: nowadays PCs are really much more reliable - my reluctance to rely on to Windows in matters like scheduled tasks or backups or similar is due to past experience mostly :-)

With the scheduler and the power saving modes I have had troubles since they were introduced for the first time and to be honest I did not revisit these features in depth in Win10.

Many of the problems I experienced were also due to poor localization - in German Windows you never really know in which state the PC goes down, they call it sometimes this and sometimes that but never the same. To make things more confusing, the quick start option was introduced, which is actually a hybernate, but called power saving in the event log and actually appears to be somwhere in between S3 and S5 - whereas you click clearly switch OFF and would expect a clean S5. And then compare the report from POWERCFG /sleepstudy with the event logs - completely different things are reported, system clock is stopped and resetted upon boot and other funny things.

My general point was that I prefer hardware or near hardware things in comparison to an OS that is updated rather intransparently every two weeks - have seen too many things broken or removed by MS... Just a matter of personal taste :-)

Thanks for your feedback though.

Cheers, Humble.

1 Message

May 31st, 2019 06:00

I was having the same issue, be sure and disable the Auto power on, if you update the bios with it enabled, it will not work...I had to go back, disable auto power on, then reinstall the bios update.  Then it worked like a charm!

4 Posts

November 15th, 2019 04:00

Hi Folks,

I am also have auto boot problems, with an XPS 8910, BIOS version 1.1.9. See my thread here.

Any suggestions are appreciated,

thx

Mark

No Events found!