Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

October 21st, 2022 09:00

XPS 8930 BIOS 1.1.26, not installing off USB

Dell released a new BIOS update for the 8930 on oct 18th. I'm going from 1.1.24 to 1.1.26. I've done BIOS updates for years and years and never had any problems until now.

I downloaded the new BIOS to my desktop. Clicked on the download.  Got the prompt to install. Answered yes. Nothing happened. 

So. I downloaded the update to USB. Went into to BIOS and chose BIOS Flash Update. The correct file showed up on the update page, but, again, I could not get to execute. Could not click on the file to start it. 

What am I doing wrong? It seems to me, there is no file to execute on the downloaded file. 

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

October 21st, 2022 10:00

Never Mind...

I tried a different USB drive, and it worked fine.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 21st, 2022 12:00

BIOS 1.1.26 installed fine on my XPS 8930 via USB and F12 menu, first try.

If you can, set aside the USB which worked this time and always use that same one for future BIOS updates. That's what I do by deleting the old version from the stick and copying the new one onto it...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 21st, 2022 21:00

@spotteddog wrote:

Never Mind...

I tried a different USB drive, and it worked fine.

Good work.

That other flash-drive ... watch it close. Maybe a reformat will help. Maybe just trash it?

I had a retail SanDisk 2gb like that once (one of the first flash-drives I ever bought). I could write files to it and when you read them back, the file-size was the same but the checksum was different. Very hard to figure out since Windows could not catch it.

Needless to say, that was the last SanDisk anything I ever bought. What's weird is they were suppose to be name-brand, good, reliable, etc. 

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 08:00

Installed 1.1.26 BIOS on my 8930 this morning and it worked fine as usual when using the USB method.  However, as usual I had to go back in afterwards and change Bios Auto recovery to Enabled, Always perform Integrity Check to Enabled, Wake by Integrated LAN to Disabled and UEFI FW Capsule Updates Disabled.  ALSO*** After the BIOS update and making the changes, and using the computer a few minutes, I turned it off.  Well about 30 seconds or so later it rebooted without me doing anything.  I had this happen once before and @RoHe  had suggested to turn the computer off and unplug it, then hold the power on button in for about 30 seconds and release it.  Then take the CMOS battery out for about a minute or so and reinstall it and then turn the computer on.  I may not have stated these steps in the exact way RoHe originally gave them to me, but I think this is close.  Anyway,. it fixed the problem and now it does not reboot after shut down.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2022 12:00

@mfurr  You normally should hold the power button for ~30 sec after you remove the battery to make sure BIOS does get cleared. But at least your method seems to have worked.

BTW: Did you go back into BIOS setup after you reset BIOS and change all those settings again? Resetting BIOS restores their default settings so all four of them will need to be changed again.

It's like playing whack-a-mole, every single time there's a BIOS update..

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 20:00

From @RoHe  BTW: Did you go back into BIOS setup after you reset BIOS and change all those settings again? Resetting BIOS restores their default settings so all four of them will need to be changed again.

Hey Ron.  thanks for the reminder and all your help the last couple of years.  Yes, I did check to make sure the settings were still correct.  I rebooted several times, visited a couple of sites each time and then checked to make sure they were still set correctly. 

27 Posts

November 5th, 2022 11:00

Thanks for the USB instructions...worked for me too.  

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it install via SupportAssist, you know, since it supposed to work there?   code?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 5th, 2022 18:00

@gdof15  - No idea why BIOS 1.1.26 won't install with SupportAssist or even in Windows alone. It has worked both ways in the past, so something isn't right this time.

I alerted my Dell tech contacts about this issue as soon as threads mentioning the problem started appearing, but they haven't commented...

Hopefully, they'll figure it out so everything works correctly the next time the XPS 8930 gets a BIOS update.

27 Posts

November 6th, 2022 05:00

Well, thanks for your assistance and solution.

The "profanity" that was in my earlier post was the word "crappy".  While I regret causing someone stress over this, I identify as a unambiguous and blunt person, with a mild to medium case of Tourette Syndrome..

The point of sw like SupportAssist is to work, not allow us to spend hours on forums searching for the solutions to bad, insufficient, poorly written, untested, faulty, hurried, and cr@ppy code.

Sorry Dell Forum.  Ban me if you must.  Maybe that'll fix the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 6th, 2022 12:00

gdof15 - The forum has software to screen for and delete unacceptable language. Maybe that word shouldn't be in the "dictionary" of unacceptable words, but using alternative keys to mask unacceptable words is a clear violation of the forum's Terms of Use.

And forum moderators have the right to edit a post, including deleting unacceptable words, without prior notification...

So please, just keep things "acceptable" and we'll all work together to help each other solve our PC problems...

27 Posts

November 10th, 2022 07:00

Thanks for feedback.  Nothing i wrote was unacceptable, regardless of terms and conditions.  I really appreciate your help

No Events found!