Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

1 Message

December 22nd, 2018 20:00

XPS 8930, Compatible RAM, #2

I recently bought an 8930 system that came with a single stick of 8GB RAM (Hynix).  I wanted to upgrade it to 32 GB and purchased Crucial CT2K16G4DFD8266, described as a 32 GB kit (2x16GB)  DDR4-2666 UDIMM [DDR4 PC4-21300 CL=19 DUAL RANKED X8 BASED UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR4-2666 1.2v].  According to Crucial, it should be compatible with my system.  I installed the two sticks in slots 1&2 (white), and the first time, the system booted into Windows briefly than crashed.  I never again managed to get it to boot into Windows, but always received an error screen.  However, if I booted into BIOS and ran diagnostics, the memory checked out fine. When I reinstalled the 8GB stick, the system ran flawlessly.  Is there some option/parameter that was set with this system that allows it only to recognize or use 8GB of memory but not 32GB?  BTW I tried to use each of the 16GB sticks individually in slot 1, with no better results (actually worse -- never got the system to the WIndows screen).

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 05:00

What is displayed on the error screen? It seems like you did everything correctly, installed in slots with matching colored locking tabs, etc. There are no options/parameters to set, I didn't change anything going from 16 GB to 32 GB.. Does the BIOS report the correct amount of memory (I am not sure if the BIOS does this)?

You could try running Memtest86 and if that passes like the BIOS memory diagnostics, I can only conclude that Crucial is wrong and that the memory is not compatible.

No Events found!