Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

August 26th, 2018 06:00

XPS 8930, EVGA GeForce GTX 1070, upgrade

Hi,

I hope you are felling great and that you will be able to help me !  

I have seen this post: XPS8930 - video card help needed but it didn't help me to make the all thing working.

So I have a DELL XPS8930, 24GB ram, geforce 1050, i5-8400, and a 450W power supply. 

I have bought an EVGA geforce 1070  PA-5173-KR that I would like to use. I can't get it to work. What I have tried so far:

1- Update the bios to      BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. 1.0.13, 20/07/2018

2- Modify the option in the BIOS: SECURE BOOT OFF, Legacy CSM ON, Legacy Option Roms ON

3- Shut Down, unplug old 1050, plug the new 1070 + connect the side of the card to the power supply.

4- Start...

And it doesn't work. Does one of you have a solution for me:

1- change the power supply for something stronger ? if yes an ATX will fit ?

2- update the bios ? if yes do you have the link of which bios should I install ?

3- other... :)

I didn't change the power supply as apparently some website says that for this config a 400W is enough.

Thanks a lot for your quick advice... my lovely 1070 is seating on the side currently, can't wait to see the power of it !

Have a great day,

Sincerely

ps: I asked via pm Koeven as he already succeed to do that.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 26th, 2018 10:00

So the graphics card you selected requires a minimum of 500W PSU according to EVGA. There has been talk about minimums being wrong or safe, but the XPS 8930 definitely does not have that big of a PSU. I believe you can replace the PSU with a different one but I would double check. I think you need a compact version.

August 26th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Yes please let me know what type of power supply are compatible with this computer (xps 8930)

thanks a lot for your help

Hopefully that will work

Any extra advice ? or what I did should work as soon as I have the correct power supply ?

Nicolas

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

January 28th, 2019 21:00

The XPS8930 comes with 460W PSU and I upgraded my DELL's GTX1060 to my EVGA GTX1080 SC2 no problem at all which uses the 6+2 pin power cable. The length has plenty room left with 2" spare. Only thing is the swingout PSU is heavy and does not completely lock fully thus making the side-panel a bit awkward to refit but does go back in. It's that daft plastic gpu filler block gets in the way due to a different card so cut out some of the foam pad. Be sure to set SECUREBOOT=OFF whilst old card is still in but don't boot into Windows, shut down then replace card. I had already Uninstalled Drivers (not DDU as that is not needed unless there are issues later as it can make other problems).

No Events found!