Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

798 Posts

August 18th, 2018 06:00

XPS 8930, GPU and CPU Liquid Cooler, PSU, Case Swap, Upgrade

Computer:  Dell XPS 8930

CPU:  i7 8700

CPU Cooler:  UPGRADE: Corsair H60 (2018 Model) Hydro Series AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Graphic card manufacturer / model number:  UPGRADE: Liquid cooled MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 256-Bit  GDDR5X  PCI Express 3.0 x16  ATX Video Card  

Bios:  1.0.12

Operating System:  Windows 10 Home  v.1803

Power supply:  UPGRADE: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, SSR-850FX, 850W Compact  Modular Power Supply

Monitor:  Samsung S34E790C - 34-Inch Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440) LED Monitor using Displayport.   

Edit: 06/06/19

Case fan upgrades here
PSU upgrades here
Non-Dell GPU upgrades here

Phanteks case swap summary here
Case swap rather than case mod for more cooling options here and here and here
Motherboard connections for case swap here
Full liquid cooling with waterblock here

0.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpgIMG_5575.jpg
IMG_5587.jpg

Tests slim 15mm fans with HWInfo.

Idle CPU Temps 32C. 
Idle fan speeds intake 450-500 RPM
CPU FAN and TOP FAN = motherboard headers 

***Prime 95 v2.66 CPU Torture Test, Small FFT, 12 cycles.  60 minutes:    

CPU temps 66-70C.  Max temp 75C (boost)
Clock speeds 3492 mHz (~10% overclock @ 65W TDP), max 4490 mHz
Voltage stable at 1.022, max was 1.3

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) CPU cooler max RPM 1078
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) GPU cooler max RPM 1019
Upper exhaust fan fixed 1500 RPM. 

Prime 95. initial boost of CPU 100% load at 4490 mHz at 110 W / 1.3v.  Then tests at stable ~10% overclock 3492-3589 mHz at ~65W at 1.022 volts, temps 66-70C.

***3d Mark Fire Strike Test for system 1080P, ~ 7min.:

CPU Temps: Max 75C
Clock speeds max 4388 mHz
Voltage max was 1.31

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) CPU cooler max RPM 906
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) GPU cooler max RPM 869 

GPU Temps: Max 79C
GPU Fan speed, 1100 RPM idle, max RPM 2822
GPU Clock max 1961 mHz

So far, CPU temps okay.  But GPU temps high, will check bezel airflow.....

***3d Mark Fire Strike Test 1080P, ~ 7min
(front bezel off to test airflow restriction)

CPU Temps: Max 72C 
Clock speeds max 4388 mHz.
Voltage max 1.31

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) CPU cooler max RPM 853
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) GPU cooler max RPM 1183

GPU Temps: Max 72C
GPU Fan speed, 1100 RPM idle, max RPM 2611
GPU Clock max at 1965  mHz

Changes with front bezel off:

CPU temps dropped by 3C 
GPU temps dropped by 8-10C 

CPU temps acceptable through bezel.  GPU airflow through bezel needs tweaking!

==========
The install:

image.png

Tasks for upgrade in new XPS 8930: 
1) Install Corsair H60 (2018 Model) Hydro Series AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 
2) Install lower front intake fan/radiator with liquid cooled MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 HYBRID GPU
3) Upgrade PSU to Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, 850W Compact Power Supply

I need to accomplish this keeping in mind the following:
-Run the Corsair CPU cooler pump at constant 100% speed
-Requires fans connected to both 4 pin fan headers (CPU FAN) and (TOP FAN) to avoid startup error.  

==========
Installing Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler:
New 2018 Corsair Hydro Series H60 has 157 x 120 x 27mm radiator and SP120 PWM fan.  Pump has rotating barbs for hose placement to avoid the swinging PSU.  Pump connects to a PSU SATA cable for 100% power and the radiator PWM fan to the CPU FAN motherboard 4 pin header.  Optional tach cable to monitor pump speed and provide a signal to the fan header to prevent startup errors.  Fan specs: SP120 PWM, 1700 RPM, 28.3 dBA, 57.2CFM.

Slim fan for tight location: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 1850 RPM  23.9 dBA  55.44 CFM / 1400 RPM 16.8 dBA  41.67 CFM

The 3 pin version is a good option at fixed speed to noise tolerance for constant airflow.

Review below posted 60C temps with i7 8700K CPU  30 min stress test at stock clocks.

image.png

https://proclockers.com/reviews/cooling/corsair-hydro-series-h60-120mm-liquid-cooler-review

Nice installation guide here:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-h60-review.html

The XPS 8930 chassis is similar to the Alienware R5/R6/R7, but the Alienware allows for CPU liquid cooling by having an opening to mount the fan/radiator through the top of the chassis, an installation bracket, and a top cover to house the unit.   

With no such space in the XPS 8930, I saw two possible locations a liquid cooler could be installed:  Upper exhaust and front intake.

1) Tried the upper exhaust position first without success with the radiator in the top exhaust fan location. The problem is that the rigid hose fittings protrude into the case 20mm.  The PSU bracket is not able to close. 

I also tried the radiator upside down with the hoses above the motherboard.  But with the radiator lined up with the top exhaust opening, a CPU power connector, capacitor and fan header block the area at the hose fittings. 

2) Next the front upper intake position at the hard drive location. With intake cooling, cool air enters the radiator but warm air exits into the case.  Should not be a problem if CPU temps are ok.

I found that the radiator can install with hoses up or down.  With the radiator upside down, the hoses can spread on either side of the motherboard ATX connector.  

Picture bottom install location:

PSU B3.jpg

Flipping the radiator upright, the swinging PSU bracket negates any liquid cooling in that location with the hoses up as the bracket cross bar crushes the hoses when lowered. 

Radiator up.jpg

However, I found that by removing the cross bar off the bracket and a small corner off the bracket support leg it would work.    

So I chose having the hoses up as the installation path.

1)  Flatten the wire holders in that location.

IMG_5408.jpg

2)  Remove the two support legs and the swinging PSU bracket by removing screws at the leg supports and a few at the rear. 

3) Used dremel reinforced cutting wheel to do about 5 minutes worth of cutting, then deburring the cut edges.

Picture dremel cuts. (Additional recommended cut to use 25mm fan here)

image.png

image.png

4)  Then placed the radiator up with the hoses at the front of the chassis. The bottom of the radiator fits between the two screws that hold down the supports of the PSU bracket.

5) Attach the 15mm fan with the model label showing for pull orientation and use 4 - 1” or 1 ¼” 6-32 machine screws to attach the radiator.  NOTE:  The 6-32 screws used for the radiator have a different thread than the 6-32 hex head screws being used in the case.  Big box stores have these screws.

Pic of screws

image.png

image.png

6)  Carefully mark the location of the holes in the radiator and drill four holes to mount the radiator to the front of the chassis. 

How I did this was place the radiator, then use tape on the front of the chassis to mark the sides of the radiator position.

Then put another piece of blue tape across the front of the radiator at the middle of the top holes. 

image.png

image.png

With the radiator in position inside the chassis and the sides lined up with the tape, look through the rear grill at the blue tape and mark the height of that tape on the front chassis.  Marks represent the height of the radiator holes. 

Mark the height of the holes with another piece of tape across the front of the chassis.

image.png

You now have the height of the top holes.

image.png

7) Place a fan on the chassis between the two pieces of tape at the sides and line the two top holes with the radiator mark.  Mark all four holes .  Again tape off the case well to make sure you don’t get metal filings anywhere. 

Mount the radiator with fan to the chassis using ¾” 6-32 machine screws.  

image.png

9) Installing the pump head:

image.png

Clean CPU with alcohol.  You see the 4 mounting holes here

image.png

Using th 4 double sided pins, put the lower pins into the mounting holes.  No modifications needed, the unit is set up for the Dell motherboard LGA1151 CPU socket.  Mount the cooler pump by placing the corner attachment brackets on the upper pins and tighten the thumb screws.  You can’t overtighten these, they just won’t turn any further when tight. 

image.png

10) Connect radiator fan to the 4 pin CPU FAN header. 

11) Attach pump SATA power to the PSU. 

12) With no cross bracket on the PSU swinging bracket, there is room for the pump hoses to flex under the PSU.  There is a smooth rounded edge where the bracket contacts the hoses when closed.  As an additional precaution install braid wrap on the upper part of the hose for protection at that point.

Done!

Picture again from top, note no bar on the PSU bracket and the edge of the lower part of the PSU bracket that will contact the hoses when down.

image.png

==========

Installing MSI GTX 1080 Hybrid GPU:  The 151mm high radiator is installed in a sideways position with the hoses in front.  The GPU is 10.5” long leaving little room for both fan and radiator at the lower intake position.

With little space to put a fan on the radiator inside the case, the slim 15mm fan was mounted in front of the chassis and under the front bezel.  The front bezel is over 20 mm deep so the fan is able to still pull air from the bezel front side vents.

Picture front bezel

image.png

1) The only problem encountered was a large raised hole in the middle of the front of the chassis which interfered with fan placement.  Keep turning the fan to the position centered to the radiator where the fan frame doesn't hit that large bump. 

2)  Check that the side of the radiator is clear of the swinging arm of the PSU bracket.   Important!.

3)  Drill 4 holes, attach the fan to radiator using 4- 1 ¼” 6-32 machine screws. 

image.png

I also used a10mm foam compressible Phoyba radiator gasket on the radiator due to the 1" wide flange at the rear of the front chassis.

Pesky.JPG

It supports the Alienware R5/6/7 front intake fan bracket that snaps in at this location.  That piece of metal prevents the radiator from sitting flush.  The gasket took up that space.  It has adhesive on one side to attach to the radiator.  

IMG_5612.jpg

Note: In the picture of the front bezel a large plastic hollow pin sticks up that would hit the fan in that location.  Trim with the dremel cutting wheel.

image.png

Picture front install, note no bar on the PSU swinging bracket.

image.png

image.png

4) Connect the slim fan on the AIO radiator to the 4 pin header (TOP FAN).   (Noctua NF-A12x15 FLX  1850 RPM  23.9 dBA  55.44 CFM / 1400 RPM 16.8 dBA  41.67 CFM)

Notes

Protect the radiator fins with a piece of cardboard taking the GPU in/out.  They are bent easily by the corner of the GPU.

Edit 9/18/18  GPU temps resolved here: (must read prior to installing, grillwork is removed)

Edit 02/23/19  Recommended cuts to use 25mm fan on CPU radiator here and here

Edit 03/15/19  Fixed speed radiator fan CPU temps 55°C range here

**This thread edited for accuracy, add'l pics and current information.

January 5th, 2020 11:00

Where can I find this 120mm Top fan Bracket? All I can find is front brackets but top bracket no luck?

2.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 13:00

@Codename78 :

Where can I find this 120mm Top fan Bracket? All I can find is front brackets but top bracket no luck?

Refer to @HanoverB's link to @Anonymous's page on the fan upgrades:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-SE-Exhaust-Fan-and-PSU-Upgrade/m-p/7311865/highlight/true#M24879

You will need to acquire the Aurora R5 120mm top exhaust fan bracket, which is available on the big auction site.

I think it's currently out of stock even on reseller's site. Can someone please confirm the model number is J3P1W, 0J3P1W?

January 5th, 2020 14:00

When i put those model numbers it shows up as plastic brackets that front fan is mounted on. I was talking about metal top fan bracket just like stock fan metal bracket just with bigger opening for 120mm fan. Just like he had in his post. Those ar ees nowhere to be found.

2.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 15:00

Well, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe @Anonymous or @HanoverB can give us the exact model of that bracket. I'm attaching @Cass-Ole's post here on getting that black metal box but that won't work for XPS models.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/cpu-cooler-up-grade/m-p/5553239/highlight/true#M55158

I found someone's R5 service tag sheet:

Exported the parts list and I see 2 top bracket assemblies here:

J3P1W BRKT,TOP SYS,FAN,R5
XP9P1 BRKT,TOP SYS,COOLER,R5

Just for kicks, I pulled out that additional R6 chassis I bought from the storeroom. Thanks to this post, I realized there IS A MISSING PART. But I'll let the seller go. I'm done with my R8 project. 

There's more in another box. Too many Dell disk drive brackets.There's more in another box. Too many Dell disk drive brackets.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 16:00

@Codename78 

They are pretty scarce at this particular time.

Aurora R5/6/7 Top Fan Bracket 7M0F5

EDIT: still 2 available @ the above link; he who hesitates is bracketless

January 6th, 2020 11:00

I just ordered my Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition. It states it will come in with 850W Power Supply (Gold Standard PSU) my question is if i be able to add extra 120mm fans up front and still connect them to this power supply 

January 6th, 2020 12:00

Thank you so much. Just ordered:

CRJ SATA to 3 x 4-Pin PWM Sleeved Fan Power Adapter Cable

I guess i will have an extra one in case.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 6th, 2020 12:00

@Codename78   my question is if i be able to add extra 120mm fans up front and still connect them to this power supply 

There should be several unused SATA power connectors available. You would need a SATA to two 3-pin fan Y-splitter cable.

SATA Fan Adapter 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 15th, 2020 11:00

@Moab23    Do you think this would help with cooling?

It is difficult to say, not knowing what CPU and graphics card you are running. I think the Arctic Freezer is probably better than the OEM fan/heatsink that comes with the 65 watt CPUs. More importantly, you should make sure you have a 120mm top exhaust fan. If you are not sure, post some photos of the inside of you computer, or ask the nearby shop.

39 Posts

@Anonymous 

I've got an:

i7-9700

GTX 2060

16GB Ram

I often run a small desk fan that directs cool air toward the side vents whenever I'm gaming. It sometimes seemed to help, but I dunno if it is the wisest thing to do.

Does the Arctic Freezer fan replace the blower?

There's also a bit of an issue on trying to source an applicable exhaust fan. Most of Amazon UK and the site I linked for the Arctic Freezer tends not to have many Dell/Alienware replacement parts.

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-S12A-Premium-Quiet-3-Pin/dp/B00BG20KCY is this what I'd be looking for? There seems to be this one with a three pin and then a four pin one. Would I require a bracket to fit it as well?

Hmm, if the 120mm requires a specific bracket, I'm a bit goosed. I never use eBay. Can these be acquired from Dell?

39 Posts

@Anonymous 

I've just today received a new RM850x PSU from my XPS 8930 in an attempt to alleviate some sporadic system freezing when gaming (doesn't always happen). I believe the the OEM PSU I have is likely in the 460W range and my components were hitting something around 412W.

However, I have a worry about whether the new PSU will fully rectify the problem if cooling is also an issue. I've been looking at snapping up this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-freezer-11-lp-low-profile-cpu-cooler-for-intel-socket-1150-1151-1155-1156-775-100-watts-max-c

While waiting for my DVD adapter cable to arrive. I don't install this myself rather take it to a nearby shop, so I have limited knowledge on components and fitting. Do you think this would help with cooling? I was a bit confused because seeing the pictures shows a blower fan on the CPU directed upwards, but this replacement fan would blow out into the case?

Apologies, I'm not stellar with this computer stuff.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 15th, 2020 16:00

@Moab23    Does the Arctic Freezer fan replace the blower?

The are both for cooling the CPU. I don't know if it is as good as the blower style fan/heatsink.

. . . is this what I'd be looking for? There seems to be this one with a three pin and then a four pin one.

Yes . . . that 120mm Noctua 3-pin fan will work

Would I require a bracket to fit it as well?

Yes . . . example linked below . . . the silver metal bracket . . . you will probably have to buy the fan with the bracket. Just change it out for the Noctua. Make certain your purchase includes the bracket, and not just the fan.

Aurora R5/6/7 Top Exhaust Fan Bracket 

39 Posts

January 16th, 2020 09:00

@Anonymous 

Attempted to get this part from Dell first. Told it wouldn't be compatible/they can't sell it to me etc, so no joy there. Before I take a plunge on this one, do you know if there are any more efficient 95mm fans that could replace the exhaust one?

I know the 120mm is recommended, but the cost of just acquiring that metal bracket it is really ramping up my budget on top of everything else

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 16th, 2020 16:00

@Moab23    do you know if there are any more efficient 95mm fans that could replace the exhaust one?

Sorry, I don't. I'm not sure why they would not have more of those Aurora brackets available across the pond

from this comparison; there is 70% additional area with the 120mm fan

IMG_3738.JPG

39 Posts

January 16th, 2020 22:00

@Anonymous 

We seem to get a bit short changed with spare parts and things in the UK unfortunately. 

There is an Arctic 92mm fan that runs at 1800RPM with 43 CFM. I don't know if anyone found out how much air the stock fan can shift, but I know the RPM on this one is higher. The fan is 25mm deep.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/92mm-arctic-f9-pwm-pst-9-blade-static-pressure-fan-1800rpm-43cfm-fluid-dynamic-bearing-black-white-4

I'm also curious, though. Since I'm having the Arctic Freezer cooler installed, and if I got one of those fans above, would they just run from the current connection points the stock fans use? 

Does it being a static pressure fan make a difference as well?

Boy, I really hope these mods I'm doing are actually going to improve things and not just waste money. The more I research the more I find people having to turn to liquid coolers and larger fans that I can't use because I can't get the bracket without more and more expense.

I'm so confused hearing about these Y splitters and fan heads and everything and not knowing exactly what I should get it need.

I've already spent close to £200 (basically burning my Christmas money) and I still don't know if it will ultimately solve my problem

When I had my 8100 (I upgraded because Win 7 support was ending) I did a PSU, GPU and RAM upgrade. It worked like a charm, no faffing about with fans or cooling. Sigh.

No Events found!