Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

798 Posts

August 18th, 2018 06:00

XPS 8930, GPU and CPU Liquid Cooler, PSU, Case Swap, Upgrade

Computer:  Dell XPS 8930

CPU:  i7 8700

CPU Cooler:  UPGRADE: Corsair H60 (2018 Model) Hydro Series AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Graphic card manufacturer / model number:  UPGRADE: Liquid cooled MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 256-Bit  GDDR5X  PCI Express 3.0 x16  ATX Video Card  

Bios:  1.0.12

Operating System:  Windows 10 Home  v.1803

Power supply:  UPGRADE: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, SSR-850FX, 850W Compact  Modular Power Supply

Monitor:  Samsung S34E790C - 34-Inch Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440) LED Monitor using Displayport.   

Edit: 06/06/19

Case fan upgrades here
PSU upgrades here
Non-Dell GPU upgrades here

Phanteks case swap summary here
Case swap rather than case mod for more cooling options here and here and here
Motherboard connections for case swap here
Full liquid cooling with waterblock here

0.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpgIMG_5575.jpg
IMG_5587.jpg

Tests slim 15mm fans with HWInfo.

Idle CPU Temps 32C. 
Idle fan speeds intake 450-500 RPM
CPU FAN and TOP FAN = motherboard headers 

***Prime 95 v2.66 CPU Torture Test, Small FFT, 12 cycles.  60 minutes:    

CPU temps 66-70C.  Max temp 75C (boost)
Clock speeds 3492 mHz (~10% overclock @ 65W TDP), max 4490 mHz
Voltage stable at 1.022, max was 1.3

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) CPU cooler max RPM 1078
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) GPU cooler max RPM 1019
Upper exhaust fan fixed 1500 RPM. 

Prime 95. initial boost of CPU 100% load at 4490 mHz at 110 W / 1.3v.  Then tests at stable ~10% overclock 3492-3589 mHz at ~65W at 1.022 volts, temps 66-70C.

***3d Mark Fire Strike Test for system 1080P, ~ 7min.:

CPU Temps: Max 75C
Clock speeds max 4388 mHz
Voltage max was 1.31

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) CPU cooler max RPM 906
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) GPU cooler max RPM 869 

GPU Temps: Max 79C
GPU Fan speed, 1100 RPM idle, max RPM 2822
GPU Clock max 1961 mHz

So far, CPU temps okay.  But GPU temps high, will check bezel airflow.....

***3d Mark Fire Strike Test 1080P, ~ 7min
(front bezel off to test airflow restriction)

CPU Temps: Max 72C 
Clock speeds max 4388 mHz.
Voltage max 1.31

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) CPU cooler max RPM 853
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) GPU cooler max RPM 1183

GPU Temps: Max 72C
GPU Fan speed, 1100 RPM idle, max RPM 2611
GPU Clock max at 1965  mHz

Changes with front bezel off:

CPU temps dropped by 3C 
GPU temps dropped by 8-10C 

CPU temps acceptable through bezel.  GPU airflow through bezel needs tweaking!

==========
The install:

image.png

Tasks for upgrade in new XPS 8930: 
1) Install Corsair H60 (2018 Model) Hydro Series AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 
2) Install lower front intake fan/radiator with liquid cooled MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 HYBRID GPU
3) Upgrade PSU to Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, 850W Compact Power Supply

I need to accomplish this keeping in mind the following:
-Run the Corsair CPU cooler pump at constant 100% speed
-Requires fans connected to both 4 pin fan headers (CPU FAN) and (TOP FAN) to avoid startup error.  

==========
Installing Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler:
New 2018 Corsair Hydro Series H60 has 157 x 120 x 27mm radiator and SP120 PWM fan.  Pump has rotating barbs for hose placement to avoid the swinging PSU.  Pump connects to a PSU SATA cable for 100% power and the radiator PWM fan to the CPU FAN motherboard 4 pin header.  Optional tach cable to monitor pump speed and provide a signal to the fan header to prevent startup errors.  Fan specs: SP120 PWM, 1700 RPM, 28.3 dBA, 57.2CFM.

Slim fan for tight location: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 1850 RPM  23.9 dBA  55.44 CFM / 1400 RPM 16.8 dBA  41.67 CFM

The 3 pin version is a good option at fixed speed to noise tolerance for constant airflow.

Review below posted 60C temps with i7 8700K CPU  30 min stress test at stock clocks.

image.png

https://proclockers.com/reviews/cooling/corsair-hydro-series-h60-120mm-liquid-cooler-review

Nice installation guide here:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-h60-review.html

The XPS 8930 chassis is similar to the Alienware R5/R6/R7, but the Alienware allows for CPU liquid cooling by having an opening to mount the fan/radiator through the top of the chassis, an installation bracket, and a top cover to house the unit.   

With no such space in the XPS 8930, I saw two possible locations a liquid cooler could be installed:  Upper exhaust and front intake.

1) Tried the upper exhaust position first without success with the radiator in the top exhaust fan location. The problem is that the rigid hose fittings protrude into the case 20mm.  The PSU bracket is not able to close. 

I also tried the radiator upside down with the hoses above the motherboard.  But with the radiator lined up with the top exhaust opening, a CPU power connector, capacitor and fan header block the area at the hose fittings. 

2) Next the front upper intake position at the hard drive location. With intake cooling, cool air enters the radiator but warm air exits into the case.  Should not be a problem if CPU temps are ok.

I found that the radiator can install with hoses up or down.  With the radiator upside down, the hoses can spread on either side of the motherboard ATX connector.  

Picture bottom install location:

PSU B3.jpg

Flipping the radiator upright, the swinging PSU bracket negates any liquid cooling in that location with the hoses up as the bracket cross bar crushes the hoses when lowered. 

Radiator up.jpg

However, I found that by removing the cross bar off the bracket and a small corner off the bracket support leg it would work.    

So I chose having the hoses up as the installation path.

1)  Flatten the wire holders in that location.

IMG_5408.jpg

2)  Remove the two support legs and the swinging PSU bracket by removing screws at the leg supports and a few at the rear. 

3) Used dremel reinforced cutting wheel to do about 5 minutes worth of cutting, then deburring the cut edges.

Picture dremel cuts. (Additional recommended cut to use 25mm fan here)

image.png

image.png

4)  Then placed the radiator up with the hoses at the front of the chassis. The bottom of the radiator fits between the two screws that hold down the supports of the PSU bracket.

5) Attach the 15mm fan with the model label showing for pull orientation and use 4 - 1” or 1 ¼” 6-32 machine screws to attach the radiator.  NOTE:  The 6-32 screws used for the radiator have a different thread than the 6-32 hex head screws being used in the case.  Big box stores have these screws.

Pic of screws

image.png

image.png

6)  Carefully mark the location of the holes in the radiator and drill four holes to mount the radiator to the front of the chassis. 

How I did this was place the radiator, then use tape on the front of the chassis to mark the sides of the radiator position.

Then put another piece of blue tape across the front of the radiator at the middle of the top holes. 

image.png

image.png

With the radiator in position inside the chassis and the sides lined up with the tape, look through the rear grill at the blue tape and mark the height of that tape on the front chassis.  Marks represent the height of the radiator holes. 

Mark the height of the holes with another piece of tape across the front of the chassis.

image.png

You now have the height of the top holes.

image.png

7) Place a fan on the chassis between the two pieces of tape at the sides and line the two top holes with the radiator mark.  Mark all four holes .  Again tape off the case well to make sure you don’t get metal filings anywhere. 

Mount the radiator with fan to the chassis using ¾” 6-32 machine screws.  

image.png

9) Installing the pump head:

image.png

Clean CPU with alcohol.  You see the 4 mounting holes here

image.png

Using th 4 double sided pins, put the lower pins into the mounting holes.  No modifications needed, the unit is set up for the Dell motherboard LGA1151 CPU socket.  Mount the cooler pump by placing the corner attachment brackets on the upper pins and tighten the thumb screws.  You can’t overtighten these, they just won’t turn any further when tight. 

image.png

10) Connect radiator fan to the 4 pin CPU FAN header. 

11) Attach pump SATA power to the PSU. 

12) With no cross bracket on the PSU swinging bracket, there is room for the pump hoses to flex under the PSU.  There is a smooth rounded edge where the bracket contacts the hoses when closed.  As an additional precaution install braid wrap on the upper part of the hose for protection at that point.

Done!

Picture again from top, note no bar on the PSU bracket and the edge of the lower part of the PSU bracket that will contact the hoses when down.

image.png

==========

Installing MSI GTX 1080 Hybrid GPU:  The 151mm high radiator is installed in a sideways position with the hoses in front.  The GPU is 10.5” long leaving little room for both fan and radiator at the lower intake position.

With little space to put a fan on the radiator inside the case, the slim 15mm fan was mounted in front of the chassis and under the front bezel.  The front bezel is over 20 mm deep so the fan is able to still pull air from the bezel front side vents.

Picture front bezel

image.png

1) The only problem encountered was a large raised hole in the middle of the front of the chassis which interfered with fan placement.  Keep turning the fan to the position centered to the radiator where the fan frame doesn't hit that large bump. 

2)  Check that the side of the radiator is clear of the swinging arm of the PSU bracket.   Important!.

3)  Drill 4 holes, attach the fan to radiator using 4- 1 ¼” 6-32 machine screws. 

image.png

I also used a10mm foam compressible Phoyba radiator gasket on the radiator due to the 1" wide flange at the rear of the front chassis.

Pesky.JPG

It supports the Alienware R5/6/7 front intake fan bracket that snaps in at this location.  That piece of metal prevents the radiator from sitting flush.  The gasket took up that space.  It has adhesive on one side to attach to the radiator.  

IMG_5612.jpg

Note: In the picture of the front bezel a large plastic hollow pin sticks up that would hit the fan in that location.  Trim with the dremel cutting wheel.

image.png

Picture front install, note no bar on the PSU swinging bracket.

image.png

image.png

4) Connect the slim fan on the AIO radiator to the 4 pin header (TOP FAN).   (Noctua NF-A12x15 FLX  1850 RPM  23.9 dBA  55.44 CFM / 1400 RPM 16.8 dBA  41.67 CFM)

Notes

Protect the radiator fins with a piece of cardboard taking the GPU in/out.  They are bent easily by the corner of the GPU.

Edit 9/18/18  GPU temps resolved here: (must read prior to installing, grillwork is removed)

Edit 02/23/19  Recommended cuts to use 25mm fan on CPU radiator here and here

Edit 03/15/19  Fixed speed radiator fan CPU temps 55°C range here

**This thread edited for accuracy, add'l pics and current information.

798 Posts

August 21st, 2018 15:00

I also used the same molding tape to initially install the radiator on the GTX 1080 Hybrid as well.  Put some on the bottom of the case and then on top of the cooler where u can see it would fit under that flat piece of sheet metal.  The fit was perfect with this particular radiator which is 151mm high..  Once I got it on there, it wouldn't come off.  I had to use fishing line to break the seal.   The molding tape is strong stuff.  Guess it it can hold side molding on my SUV in blistering heat it must be sticky stuff.

image.png

image.png

798 Posts

September 9th, 2018 13:00

I had some fun with this by adding a Phanteks Halos RGB Fan Frame to the ugly Noctua fan. One also installed in upper exhaust location under the top cover.  Shown with a couple of ILD fan grills..

XPS 8930 Sea Hawk Edition…..

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

XPS 8930 Scarab Edition….

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5867.jpg

798 Posts

September 9th, 2018 13:00

Update:

I7 8700 CPU:

CPU performance, temperatures and noise managed very nicely via the CPU liquid cooling.  Worthy upgrade even with a single 15mm cooling fan.  No throttling, no excessive fan noise at 100% loads on testing.  The front bezel affects the cooling only marginally, which is expected in most cases unless you have a open mesh bezel.

MSI Sea Hawk 1080 Hybrid GPU:

GPU temps a little high with the initial installation.  I really didn’t want to mod the case any further, but just the GPU gets a little starved for airflow when loads above 90% at 3440 x 1080. I can get another 3-5 degrees of cooling with the front intake Noctua fan running at 1850 RPM but it's noisier that I would want at idle. 

So I went ahead and cut a 120mm blowhole opening in the lower part of the front bezel. 

This did involve removing the GPU cooler fan off the radiator.  The fan now has to be centered to the front bezel and yet be close to the center of the radiator to push air through it.

After installing the new front intake using the blowhole the GPU temps are 6-10C lower on the FireStrike testing.

Screenshot from FireStrike GPU intensive test with GTX 1080 maxed out at only 45 FPS.   The i7 8700 CPU performance at close to full boost clock really stellar with no throttling.  Temps fine on both GPU and CPU.  

MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk temps in a different machine (XPS 8500) at full load was 57-60 C, so is running a little higher in the XPS 8930.  Those 57-60 C temps were with 25mm fans in a push pull intake configuration with decent air flow.  In this XPS 8930, the single 15mm fan, the lack of full airflow through the sheet metal in front of the chassis, and the GPU blocking part of the back of the radiator doesn't allow the Sea Hawk liquid cooling to work optimally.  One of the limitations of this case. 

IMG_5813.jpg

798 Posts

September 9th, 2018 17:00

Update on GPU temps: 

The difference in GPU temps was also surprising depending on ambient air temps.  At different room temps, I've seen the Sea Hawk GPU running at 62-72 C at load.  Onboard GPU fan speeds, and noise levels change accordingly. 

GPU intensive test 95% load in Firestrike screenshot

IMG_5881.jpg

CPU intensive test in Firestrike screenshot

IMG_5891.jpg

798 Posts

September 16th, 2018 12:00

Bios settings I used from Speedstep post for non-Dell GPU upgrades for the XPS 8930.   

Boot into your machine using your existing Dell GPU or the onboard HDMI connected to your display and change the BIOS settings to be able to recognize the non-Dell GPU.  Once you restart the machine with the new GPU connected to your display, you can load the new drivers from Nvidia or AMD.

IMG_5974.jpg

732 Posts

September 16th, 2018 13:00

As an update; After the installation of the 120mm fan in my 8920 with the air blocked off everywhere except for the 1/4" slot in the front and mounted with weather stripping; It runs 5 to 10* F cooler and it's quiet. Plus the top fan never flares up anymore like a jet taking off.

798 Posts

September 18th, 2018 12:00

Finally.

Solved the issue with the Sea Hawk GPU temps.  Getting consistent GPU temps at load in the mid to high 50 C’s.  I was about to kick this machine and GPU to the curb. 

IMG_6133.jpg

Anyone wishing to put a MSI or EVGA hybrid GPU in the XPS 8930 or Alienware R7, it’s possible to get optimal temps in the 50 C’s with just a little more effort.  The underlying issue was the radiator and fan not being coupled efficiently for cooling.  The sheet metal present between the radiator and the fan restricted airflow enough to prevent proper cooling.  A few more cuts and all is well.

Picture of shrapnel.

IMG_6139.jpg

Given the temperature problems with the hybrid GPU in this case, I did some testing of the hybrid GPU with the radiator outside of the XPS 8930 case. This was to see what were the best possible temperatures that one could achieve with the GPU cooler.  I did the testing with the stock Corsair SP120 fan that came with the unit and then with the Noctua 15mm thin fan used with the installation.  The results were surprising..

You can also see the Phoyba 10mm compressible foam fan gasket used for installation in these pictures

First with the Corsair SP 120 Fan.  OEM fan with the MSI Sea Hawk and is 120 x 120 x 25mm 3-pin white LED static pressure fan rated to 1650 RPM and 57.24 CFM at 26.4 dBa.  

IMG_6073.jpg

I ran the fan at maximum fixed speed of 1650 RPM.  Running Firestrike Benchmark I got a max temp of 54 C with the onboard fan max ~1450 RPM.  Considering that the GTX 1080 is meant to run at its upper limit of 83 C under load with the onboard fan screaming at 80-100% fan speed, the hybrid GPU setup is really amazing how it can control temperatures and accordingly fan speed and noise.  I can see why they paired this fan with the GPU. It is a little noisy at full throttle at 26.4 dBa.  I ran the test four times, twice in a push position and twice in a pull position.  Temps were the same.  Fan is a little more quiet in a pull position when slightly muted by the radiator.

=====

I then ran the test with the Noctua 15mm slim fan, expecting to be disappointed.  It’s a newer fan in their line and answered the need for a slim fan to be used in mini ATX case and ITX configurations at 120 x 120 x 15mm . 

Specs: Noctua NF-A12x15 FLX  1850 RPM  23.9 dBA  55.44 CFM / 1400 RPM 16.8 dBA  41.67 CFM).

IMG_6043.jpg

I ran the fan at a fixed speed of 1400 RPM, which is what I would use installed outside the XPS 8930 front chassis area.  It’s similar to the same fan used on the CPU cooler radiator, which continues to manage temps and noise really well in the XPS 8930.   Running Firestrike Benchmark I got a max temp of 56 C with the onboard fan max ~1540 RPM.   Considering the 15mm thickness and the reduced noise levels of the fan at 1400 RPM I was still able to get within 2 C degrees of the Corsair fan.  That’s really great.   I ran this test twice in the push position and was pleasantly surprised by how well this fan works given its dimensions. 

Results:

Corsair SP120: max 54 C, onboard fan max ~1450 RPM
Noctua NF-A12x15: max 56 C, onboard fan max ~1540 RPM

At least I knew the fan size wasn’t the factor in the high temps I was getting with the GPU which have been inconsistent and would vary from 62C to 72C depending on ambient temps.  Those 62-66 C temps were with the AC running with the vent right over my desk.  In the evening gaming, I was still seeing temps up to 72C consistently and the onboard fan running at 70% @ 2300 RPM.   

From the testing, at least I saw with the slim Noctua fan properly coupled to the radiator, it's possible to get temps in the mid 50 C’s with onboard GPU  fan speeds ~1500 RPM even with warm ambient room temps. That would be the benchmark for desired GPU temps.

IMG_5340.jpg

So I had a choice to cut another 120mm hole at this location or just remove the fine grill work which would be easier.  I taped off the case and got to work with some tin snips which got me 50 % of the way there and with a Dremel cutting wheel and some patience it wasn’t that difficult to get a nice clean opening and get rid of all the grill work which restricted the airflow between the fan and the radiator. I left the metal steps at the edges of the grillwork untouched and just took away the grill work and that ugly round thing. 

I do wish I had removed the pesky 1" wide flange inside the chassis when I did the initial cuts. 

Pesky.JPG

That's the piece that the Alienware intake fan bracket rests against when installed.  It does get in the way of the radiator installing flush against the front chassis and I would not have had to use the foam gasket to clear that obstruction as pictured in the initial post of this thread.   Two more small cuts with the reinforced dremel cutting wheel and that would have been gone.

Pic after grillwork removed, "steps" still present.  Double stick tape still there from front fan install.  Small rectangular opening at very bottom is where I should have made a couple more cuts to remove the 1" long flange at that location.

IMG_7501.JPG

Pic of GPU radiator fan mounted on left with sheet metal grill work still present: (that’s the black Phanteks Halos RGB fan frame on the fan, dust filter in place on the CPU cooler fan on the right, wiring now run under the chassis through bottom of case, I also painted the grill work black when I cut the 120mm hole.)

IMG_5902.jpg

Fan mounted with grill work gone (you can see one of the metal steps inside the fan on the upper left still there):

IMG_6112.jpg

So with the sheet metal out of the way, I ran Firestrike again.  With the front bezel off I was able to see 56 C and the onboard fan max at ~1520 RPM.  Similar to temps earlier with the radiator and fan outside the case.   Looking good!

I then put the front bezel back on.  With the bezel in place and fan filter present behind the scarab front grill I ran Firestrike and am seeing 58 C at load with the onboard fan running at ~1670 RPM.  Yay!

So getting rid of the sheet metal grill work is essential if you want to get optimal temps with these hybrid GPU’s if you are putting the fan in front of the chassis.   The 15mm slim fan works great and is able to manage GPU temps if coupled correctly to the radiator.

A hybrid GPU in the Alienware R7 with optimal temps should be achievable as there are intake vents in the front bezel so no further cutting should be required once you get rid of the sheet metal grillwork.  A 25mm fan looks like it might just fit under that front bezel as well.

Done.

Sheet metal grill present:

IMG_5957.jpg

Grill gone:

IMG_6149.jpg

Phanteks Halos RGB at upper exhaust fan mounted on top of grill under cover, will fit mounted on fan inside case if you use one of the slim 15mm fans as an exhaust fan.

IMG_5954.jpg

140mm dust fan filter inside bezel.   Trimming some of the plastic inside the bezel as needed, fit under plastic tabs on right side where I cut slits, trimmed some of the fan filter frame at bottom and attached on 4 sides with double stick moulding tape.   Just vacuum the dust occasionally from the front of the machine.

IMG_5913.jpg

Notes for XPS 8930 and Alienware Aurora cases:

It is a tight fit under the XPS 8930 front bezel with the 15mm fan, Halo RGB fan frame and the 140mm fan filter.  There is just enough room under the bezel and it does fit and lock into place okay.   

The Aurora R7/R8 cases have a deeper front bezel and a 25mm fan just might fit there centered under the bezel.  Also the Alienware front bezels have an airflow friendly grill on the front of the case.  (Edit 01/05/20: from this post, the 25mm thick fan will not fit under the front bezel of a R8 case.  Use the 15mm black Noctua A12x15mm fan instead centered to the chassis and front bezel.)

In attaching the fan to the case, notice that in the last picture of the bare fan on the case there are no screws holding the fan in place.   I used the two way moulding tape on the corners with the rubber corners removed on that side of the fan to attach the fan to the chassis.  It is VERY secure and isn't going anywhere.  The screws you see on that fan in another picture are to hold the Phanteks Halo Fan Frame in place, they do not go through to the chassis.

I found that you needed only two or three screws to hold the radiator in place, so if you can't get all 4 holes lined up, it's okay.  And don't forget to cut out that pesky 1' long metal flange that holds the Alienware fan bracket out when you cut away the grill.  The radiator will fit flush against the chassis if you do so and you will not have to use any type of radiator gasket as a filler for that space!

I wish I would have tried cutting away the sheet metal first and tested temps with the bezel in place before cutting a blowhole in the front bezel.  Cutting the sheet metal and coupling the fan/radiator properly had a big impact on lowering temps.  Differences in liquid cooled CPU temps with the front bezel in place was +3C.  For the GPU it was +8 to 10C without the grill work cut away.  With the grill work cut away, the airflow with the bezel in place should not have such a profound effect.

I thinks it's worth repeating to check to make sure the side of the radiator is clear of the swinging arm of the PSU bracket before deciding on the final mounting location.  Worst thing that could happen is to mount the radiator only to find out that the arm comes down onto one of the rivets on the side of the radiator....sigh.

The limiting factors for installing a GPU cooling radiator would be the length of the GPU and the height of the radiator so it can slide in sideways under the length of the lock flange used for the Alienware intake fan bracket.  

Close up Sea Hawk.JPG

The MSI Sea Hawk GPU in this install is 10.6"  (270mm)

The height of the radiator is 151mm and does fit under that flange with about a 1/8" to spare.   (151mm H x 120mm wide x 27mm thickness.)   It is possible to totally cut away the lip under the flange or the flange entirely if the height of the newer models of the hybrid GPU radiator is an issue.  Similar to what was done with the CPU radiator here.

The space in this install between the GPU and the radiator inside the case is approx. 11mm.

IMG_5300.jpg

So in theory if you have a liquid cooled GPU that gets closer to 10" long (15mm shorter) then you should be able to mount the radiator and slim 15mm fan inside the case.   It would be really tight installing and uninstalling the GPU out of the machine as you need some clearance to do so.  You risk damaging the back side of the fan in the process.  A simple workaround could be to not install the fan in the pull position behind the radiator until you install the GPU and use just the two accessible two screws to install the fan to the radiator after the GPU Is in place. That should be enough to couple the fan/radiator properly.   Removing that pesky 1" long flange should get you 3-4 mm more as well as the radiator should fit flush against the chassis. 

The end of the GPU will block some of the airflow from the rear of the radiator but that shouldn't matter much with cold intake air coming through the radiator.  With this shorter card install there is a high likelihood that cutting the front grillwork would NOT be required to get those desired temps. 

732 Posts

September 19th, 2018 11:00

I would block all venting around the fans with tape like I did in my front fan installation on my 8920 post. (direct all air from/to the outside.)

September 27th, 2018 20:00

Thank you all for your great posts and photos.  I am starting to mod my 8930.  I am starting by cooling the GPU with an Corsair H60 on the upper front vent which seems like the best option based on your posts.

First a question:  Have you found a way to adjust the fan speed curve via the bios or software?  I can monitor the speeds via Intel extreme tuning but not adjust them.

Second something I noted that may help with temps:

The space from the front cover  is contagious with the space between the the bottom cover and chassis.  There are venting holes in the bottom of the chassis.  With the exhaust fans  located at the front you may be getting a partial recalculation of the hot exhaust air from the radiators.  I plan to block off the space at the front of the bottom cover or place ducting tape over the vent holes in the bottom of the chassis.  Possible tape off the vent holes in the bottom of the chassis, leave the space front and bottom cover open while drilling some holes in the back of the bottom cover to increase the area for exhaust to escape.

732 Posts

September 28th, 2018 09:00

Good idea, I did a post on installing a front fan that shows blocking ALL vents other than those coming from outside. It's the only way you can prevent recirculating inside air.

798 Posts

September 28th, 2018 13:00

@tucktheduck333 wrote:

Thank you all for your great posts and photos.  I am starting to mod my 8930.  I am starting by cooling the GPU with an Corsair H60 on the upper front vent which seems like the best option based on your posts.

First a question:  Have you found a way to adjust the fan speed curve via the bios or software?  I can monitor the speeds via Intel extreme tuning but not adjust them.

Second something I noted that may help with temps:

The space from the front cover  is contagious with the space between the the bottom cover and chassis.  There are venting holes in the bottom of the chassis.  With the exhaust fans  located at the front you may be getting a partial recalculation of the hot exhaust air from the radiators.  I plan to block off the space at the front of the bottom cover or place ducting tape over the vent holes in the bottom of the chassis.  Possible tape off the vent holes in the bottom of the chassis, leave the space front and bottom cover open while drilling some holes in the back of the bottom cover to increase the area for exhaust to escape.

The fan curve is not adjustable from either the BIOS or any software.  I found that the stock fan curve was okay in cooling the CPU as the CPU radiator fans ranged from 400-500 at idle to 1000-1100 RPM at test loads.   Day to day use fan speeds never exceed 700 RPM. Noise level were acceptable as well.  

As far as the airspace under the front bezel being contiguous with the bottom of the chassis, yes that it true.  But I am reading that you are using the exhaust fans in the front?  I used intake fans for both radiators.   So you must be talking about the exhaust from back side of the GPU radiator going back into the space under the GPU and being pulled back under the case through the chassis openings there.  I guess that is possible and sealing those off could help.   

I also removed the rear slot tabs at the back of the case (DanH recommendation) to help with air flow out of the back of the lower half of the case.

798 Posts

September 29th, 2018 09:00

For balance of noise vs airflow I changed to the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3 pin fan in the upper exhaust position.  Low RPM, quiet case fan that moves a lot of air.   Fixed at 1200 RPM to molex adapter from  PSU.  Will constantly move air out of case to prevent any heat build up.  Would also make a nice intake fan as well in the lower intake position.  1200 RPM, 63.27 cfm, 17.8 dBA / 900 RPM, 48.97 cfm, 10.7 dbA

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-s12a-flx

Final connections:

Corsair H60 CPU cooler pump power to SATA connector from PSU, 3 pin tach cable to TOP FAN Header

CPU cooler radiator fan:  (2) Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 4 pin PWM fan both to Y adapter and connected to CPU FAN header on motherboard  (note: single fan is fine here and can be a 3 pin fan connected to the CPU FAN header running at a fixed speed to noise tolerance)

GPU cooler radiator fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 FLX, 3 pin fan at fixed speed 1400 RPM using LNA to molex adapter from PSU

Upper Exhaust fan:  Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3 pin fan at fixed speed 1200 RPM to molex adapter from PSU

For any of the fixed speed fans, instead of direct connect to the PSU with molex adapters, both the TOP FAN and CPU FAN headers can be used with these 3 pin fans.  They will run at 100% of the rated top RPM of the fan but speeds can be controlled with low noise adapters to noise tolerance.  3 pin Y or multi fan adapters can also be connected to these headers with as many legs as necessary to run the number of fans desired..  Just depends on whether you choose to utilize the PWM functions of either header.

732 Posts

September 29th, 2018 11:00

I used an Arctic PWM 120mm fan for the front intake fan and tied it in with the top fan wiring . I mounted it on the bottom front vent and completely blocked out all other venting around it which forced all the outside air to come from the 1/4" slots behind the front faceplate. It is mounted with thick weather stripping and no screws which made it vibration free and it completely cured my noisy top fan problem, plus it's totally quiet.

September 30th, 2018 13:00

Hi all,

Great set up Hanover ! and I love the front panel, well done !

Just a question, for the fan speed and cable management, did you ever tried to use a fan hub ? as the deeepcool FH-10 for example (or another one, there is so many)

Just plug the 4pin connector from the CPU header (or fan header depending which one needs to drive the speed) as entry to the hub, connect the hub via sata cable => then you have 4 to 8 fan space where the speed will be adjusted all the time depending on the load - only 4 pins fan then (some of those fan hub are really small, so you might be able to squeeze them somewhere in the case)

Nico

732 Posts

September 30th, 2018 17:00

It's almost well done, the vent next to that top front fan is not blocked off. If that area is greater than the 1/4" wide front outside vents it will draw hot air back into the fan instead of from outside.

No Events found!